Alk consumption per day

tinman

well im looking ( curious) to see what everyones allk consumption is per day ...especially for those tanks packed with sps and using a doser ..

ill start

Tank size - 50 Cube
Corals - sps dominant

alk consumption - 1.4 dkh per day
Dosing - Use baked baking soda via a doser ..

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
120 gallon SPS heavy, mostly frags to small colonies 2x2" at the most.

I go through 20ml of 2 part daily. Not sure what that equates to dkh per day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joesfiddy

I go thru a 100 ml a day of 2 part on a 180 with a 100 gallon sump and a plumbed in frag tank. Not to many sps maybe 15 smaller size colonies and 15 frags and a couple clams and a few lps and a bunch of softies.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
120 gallon SPS heavy, mostly frags to small colonies 2x2" at the most.

I go through 20ml of 2 part daily. Not sure what that equates to dkh per day.

So I just did the math (hopefully correctly).. Since I do have a 60g tank plumbed in I have a total of 200 gallons.

So, 3ml or reef fusion 2 raises dKH by .493 in a total water volume of 75 liters.

My total water volume is 757L. So "X"/757L = 3ml /75L. Which is 75x=2271 or x=30ml. So to raise my dkh .493, I need to add 30ml.

Since today I only add 20ml... 30ml/.493dKH=20ml/"X" which is 30X=10 or .333

So my daily consumption is .333 dKH daily.

That seems really low but I do test Alk every few days and I am consistently between 8.0-8.1 dKH.

Here is a video of the tank. Sorry for the poor quality!
https://vimeo.com/169356553

Last edited:

tinman

So I just did the math (hopefully correctly).. Since I do have a 60g tank plumbed in I have a total of 200 gallons.

So, 3ml or reef fusion 2 raises dKH by .493 in a total water volume of 75 liters.

My total water volume is 757L. So "X"/757L = 3ml /75L. Which is 75x=2271 or x=30ml. So to raise my dkh .493, I need to add 30ml.

Since today I only add 20ml... 30ml/.493dKH=20ml/"X" which is 30X=10 or .333

So my daily consumption is .333 dKH daily.

That seems really low but I do test Alk every few days and I am consistently between 8.0-8.1 dKH.

Here is a video of the tank. Sorry for the poor quality!
https://vimeo.com/169356553

hmmm yea thats about low haha ... i have no idea why my alk consumption is soo high .. i mean i see growth but not that heavy growth .. or may be i have too much in too little of a tank ..

i wonder if algaeo n my ats consumes alk haha crazy thought

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
hmmm yea thats about low haha ... i have no idea why my alk consumption is soo high .. i mean i see growth but not that heavy growth .. or may be i have too much in too little of a tank ..

i wonder if algaeo n my ats consumes alk haha crazy thought
Only thing I can think of is mg level. I keep mine way to high lol. 1450! So likelihood or amount that my alk and calc to precipitate is very very low.

tinman

Only thing I can think of is mg level. I keep mine way to high lol. 1450! So likelihood or amount that my alk and calc to precipitate is very very low.

mine is around 1300

so low alk means more precipitation ? good point

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
mine is around 1300

so low alk means more precipitation ? good point
Yeah, it's either getting consumed or precipitating. Do you see any buildup on your heaters? That's usually the first place you'll see it.

With magnesium at 1300 you shouldn't see much, although I prefer mine a little higher.

What test kit are you using?

tinman

Yeah, it's either getting consumed or precipitating. Do you see any buildup on your heaters? That's usually the first place you'll see it.

With magnesium at 1300 you shouldn't see much, although I prefer mine a little higher.

What test kit are you using?

not really .. i dont see any build up but ill check when i get home ( sadly working full day today :( )

salifert ..

Paulip

I use 3/4 tsp baked and 1 tsp non-baked baking soda via a gallon of ATO. It tops off a little over half a gallon a week. My 14G uses 1+ dKh per day. I can't really claim any growth or precipitation. Additionally, my pH stays steady at at 8.2-8.4.

Chicago tap water is getting a reading of 8.1 pH. I read that you can't use a pH meter reliably for RODI, but a fresh batch of RC SW is also reading 8.2-8.3. Future alk demands may have to be met with (non-baked) sodium bicarbonate.

Last edited: