AMC gear heads?

jrpark22000

Premium member
Anybody out there?

Decided I'm going to tear into a 304 that wiped at least one cam lobe. Instead of having a full motor built, the plan is to tear into it and see how bad the motor is and if a new cam and oiling pump cover will result in a reliable motor.

So much about AMC varies greatly from SBC, it's going to be a lot of reading.

jrpark22000

Premium member
LOL Yeah AMC, but to be fair it's a jeep. '79 cj5 a cali jeep w/ no rust.

There is a sick 401 pro street Gremlin on craigslist that I keep looking at :D

madjoe

Premium member
Those r aswome id just tear apart and see how bad the cam is maybe clean bunch of stuff and make sure u have good oil flow

jrpark22000

Premium member
Those r aswome id just tear apart and see how bad the cam is maybe clean bunch of stuff and make sure u have good oil flow
Pulled the valve cover and #1 has very little movement to either rocker, this was after a lifter started ticking fairly loud last fall. Oiling is always an issue with amc and why I'm planning on replacing the oil pump cover if the other internals spec out. If the bottom end looks good enough to get another 20K I won't touch anything else, otherwise off to an AMC builder to get done right and shoot for 250bhp.

madjoe

Premium member
Pulled the valve cover and #1 has very little movement to either rocker, this was after a lifter started ticking fairly loud last fall. Oiling is always an issue with amc and why I'm planning on replacing the oil pump cover if the other internals spec out. If the bottom end looks good enough to get another 20K I won't touch anything else, otherwise off to an AMC builder to get done right and shoot for 250bhp.
So prob need need cam and lifters maybe just lifters any way i love those old jeeps good luck sounds like a fun project least id find it fun

jrpark22000

Premium member
oh yeah a fun project, just need to get the free time :D Cam and lifters are cheap will just replace both if I'm in there. Hoping for good cam bearings and no surprises.

anarchy

oh yeah a fun project, just need to get the free time :D Cam and lifters are cheap will just replace both if I'm in there. Hoping for good cam bearings and no surprises.
4bt Cummins :)))) oh I mean just strip it down to the bare block and start dumping performance part into it

ANARCHY

r33fswagg3r

Premium member
Anybody out there?

Decided I'm going to tear into a 304 that wiped at least one cam lobe. Instead of having a full motor built, the plan is to tear into it and see how bad the motor is and if a new cam and oiling pump cover will result in a reliable motor.

So much about AMC varies greatly from SBC, it's going to be a lot of reading.
No AMC gear head, Camaro gear head, lol.

jrpark22000

Premium member
4bt Cummins :)))) oh I mean just strip it down to the bare block and start dumping performance part into it
LOL, eh the diesel won't do a whole lot to my effort. It's for the most part unmolested, trying to keep the original serial numbers as mush as particle.

98silverado

Just do the best you can to rebuild it to spec. If you need any help let me know. Fellow gear head and not all that far away

r33fswagg3r

Premium member
Dang nice build. Taking it back to the track in the spring? Going to try slicks to get better times?
I actually ended up selling the Camaro 2 years ago and lost my a** on it. It was professionally appraised at $135,000 and I sold it for $90,000. Every time I see the appraisal sheet in my office I'm reminded of it, lol.

Last edited:

jrpark22000

Premium member
I actually ended up selling the Camaro 2 years ago and lost my a** on it. It was professionally appraised at $135,000 and I sold it for $90,000. Every time I see the appraisal sheet in my office I'm reminded of it, lol.
Far too easy to do on cars, especially ones that are truly fun to drive!