Autoaqua smart ato issues

Smitty

Premium member
I had to vent real quick....I have an autoaqua smart ato on my reef tank, and lately it's been beeping and having issues lately. The last straw was just moments ago, I'm in my living room and it's beeping fast as hell, so i check it, and notice my sump has been filled to the top!!! This damn "smart" ato has overfilled my sump by adding at least 5-7 gallons of ro water from my reservoir. I'm glad I caught it before it overflowed the sump at least. Smdh!!!!

Sent from my Note 5

ultimatemj

Mine was great for about a year and then began faulting and beeping before the water was low...which required a power reset it. That said, when the smartATO is working it is very nice.

I've since replaced it with an Avast and have been happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

r33fswagg3r

Premium member
I have never had any issues with my Smart ATO. Whenever I do a water change I disconnect it, take both sides of the eye and clean it with a Qtip as well as make sure nothing is built up on the glass where the eye sits. If there was a build up on your eye on the water side it might have been throwing off the sensor.

Smitty

Premium member
Thanks for the advice guys, I'm up late making saltwater so i can do a water change in the morning. Hopefully it doesn't cause too much of an issue. I didn't even check the salinity of the tank yet, I don't want to stay up all night stressing over it, I'll just deal with it in the morning.

Sent from my Note 5

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Sorry to hear this. I've had mine for over a year and really like it. For instance, last night I did a water change an slid the sensor to the bottom of my sump so it wouldn't fill as I did my water change. Tonight I came home to beeping. Sure enough, I forgot to slide the sensor back up to the water line last night. Thanks Smart ATO for letting me know I'm a forgetful idiot!

Smitty

Premium member
Mine has lately started beeping for no reason, even when it doesn't need filling. And also when it does need water, but the pump won't kick on until i reset it. I've read that it needs to be unplugged when doing water changes. Good thing for the alerts at least.

Sent from my Note 5

Smitty

Premium member
I just checked my salinity and it's at 1.020. At least all my corals are still open, including all sps's.

Sent from my Note 5

#theMatrix

Mine dropped that low. Not at ato issue but over a week 7day period i topped off with salt water at 1.030. It was a 5gal bucket. On the 7th day my salinity was at 1.025.

.....what alerted me about the salt was the foxface. He looked pale and kept shedding his cuticles.

Smitty

Premium member
Mine dropped that low. Not at ato issue but over a week 7day period i topped off with salt water at 1.030. It was a 5gal bucket. On the 7th day my salinity was at 1.025.

.....what alerted me about the salt was the foxface. He looked pale and kept shedding his cuticles.
Good thing you caught it in time.

Sent from my Note 5

Smitty

Premium member
I just did a 5 gal water change, with the batch being around 1.026. I had to remove about an extra 7 gals of water from the system first before doing the water change.

Sent from my Note 5

#theMatrix

I just did a 5 gal water change, with the batch being around 1.026. I had to remove about an extra 7 gals of water from the system first before doing the water change.

Sent from my Note 5

They say thats the way to do it removing a larger amount and continue with water changes.
The problem i have with that is my sump wont work if i simply take lut 30gals from my total water. So the ato with mixed water was my best option and it worked.

Btw. I saved the low salinity water for my QT tank top off :D. 29gals is easier to chase and adjust salinity than 125gal with 40gal sump

Smitty

Premium member
They say thats the way to do it removing a larger amount and continue with water changes.
The problem i have with that is my sump wont work if i simply take lut 30gals from my total water. So the ato with mixed water was my best option and it worked.

Btw. I saved the low salinity water for my QT tank top off :D. 29gals is easier to chase and adjust salinity than 125gal with 40gal sump
You're absolutely right.

Sent from my Note 5

Sorry to hear that happened to you. I have the same ato and just last week it started beeping fast as you described it without needing any more water.

Smitty

Premium member
Sorry to hear that happened to you. I have the same ato and just last week it started beeping fast as you described it without needing any more water.

Yeah, keep an eye on it. I'm reading many horror stories about this ato.

Sent from my Note 5