Black Out?

york3rdbase

Premium member
I see the discussion of black outs on a few threads to help out with some outbreaks. How long do you guys do the black out for and what are the consequences with the corals in your tank? I have some purple cyano (I think) on one of my rocks and notice that it lessens each morning after the lights have been off overnight, and wondering if this is something I should think about?

sk8elenex92

Premium member
If you black out for the cyano its probably going to disappear and then come back once the lights are back for a day again. Is this a newer tank? Some newer tanks will have a cyano bloom and then it will go away on its own. Unless your overfeeding or have dead spots. Siphon the stuff out during a water change. I had this stuff all over my sand bed and used Chemiclean and it was completely gone in 3 days, but then my skimmer wouldn't work until I gave it a vinegar bath. I would not go the chemical way just yet.
Post a pic lets see how bad is it..

york3rdbase

Premium member
Tank is 4 months old, just one of my rocks is covered in it. I think it came in on one of my zoa colonies because that colony is covered as well (also a colony that is all closed up and has been closed for a while). My 17 gallon doesn't really have any dead spots, however I am adding another powerhead this week to help increase flow a little bit. I'll post a pic when I get home, although there are pics on one of my other threads.

PS. The arctic ice is doing pretty well, has 2 or 3 small polyps to go along with the large one.

CienFuegos

Premium member
I've just tried it to kill off the diatoms for four days. I'll let you know how it looks after one day of lights back on.

sk8elenex92

Premium member
I would start with blowing the crap off or siphoning while you do your water change. Hopefully one of the experts can chime in and give you better advice.

Nice Im glad the Palys are doing good for you.

york3rdbase

Premium member
It peels right off, but always comes back. I don't feel like I feed a lot, and feel like I have cut back quite a bit.

Mjl714

Have you tried a little gfo or similar, i've found this to be a good long term solution.

Mjl714

What do you have hanging on the back? Perhaps you could fit a little bag of some in the flow of that? Once you get in a good cycle (changing monthly or whatever your system needs) you wont need very much.

york3rdbase

Premium member
I just have a protein skimmer. Tank is only 17 gallons. I do 5 gallon water changes weekly, have done a few more recently to help clear the glass algae.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anarchy

So is the tank an aio? If so you can put it in a bag and toss it in the back chamber. Or maybe a bag of chemipure would help

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Chemiclean will knock them out...
Yep, I've used it twice with no ill effects. I've used it with a tank full of SPS with no issues. It does make your skimmer bobble like crazy though. I just took my skimmer cup off for a few days, then ran some carbon, then everything was back to normal, except no cyano.

ColaAddict

I vote chemiclean. That treatment also prevents it from coming back, unless you introduce it again from another tank.
To deal with the skimmer, I attached a hose to skimmer drain and let skimmer drain into a bucket. I just kept adding fresh salt water until skimmer done pulling out the chemiclean from the water. Sorta like a water change using your skimmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk