Bourbon Drinkers?

DD

"Rambo"
My foray into bourbon began shortly after I turned 21. I went through a few different phases when it came to booze, then settled on Grey Goose vodka and wouldn't drink anything else.

I went to a bar and they didn't have Grey Goose, so my buddy ordered a Beam and Coke, and I decided to try it. From that point forward, Bourbon and Coke was my drink.

It wasn't until several years later that I began liking fine bourbons served neat. I wasn't as into it as most enthusiasts are, but I did enjoy a good bourbon. The only time I really drank was when I traveled for work and entertained clients. When at home, I didn't really drink very much, perhaps once a month if that. That is until I got into craft beer.

A few years ago, I began getting into craft beer, and started really loving the bourbon barrel aged beers. That got me right back into liking bourbon.

Last year was the first year I began buying bottles of bourbon that I liked, but specifically liked the stuff you don't normally see on shelves.

I started with a bottle of Booker's, then a store pick Blanton's, and it all went downhill from there. I really like Buffalo Trace as an every day sipper.

I've managed to score an Old Rip Van Winkle, a Van Winkle 12 year "lot b", and a George T Stagg. I also purchased a store pick of Eagle Rare, High West Prairie bourbon, Weller special reserve, two more bottles of blanton's, and a store pick of Elijah Craig.

What's interesting about them all is that each one has it's own unique flavor. I'm definitely not advanced enough to tell you that one has hints of grasshopper bungholes lol, but I can taste the difference between them all. I think I could pick Eagle Rare and blanton's out of a blind taste test for sure though.

Not too long ago I did a flight of the whole Pappy Van Winkle collection and I honestly wasn't overly impressed by them. For all of the hype, there's really nothing all that special about them. I'd rank them like this: 20 year, 15 year, Family Reserve Rye, Old Rip, 12 year lot b, and then the 23 year. The 23 year was my least favorite out of the bunch, so much so that if I managed to get a bottle at retail, I'd turn around and sell it. But comparing them to regular bourbons you can find every day on the shelves, I don't get the hype. I remember when those bottles would just sit on shelves and not sell for retail. It seems that at one point, some hipster decided to hype it up, and then the market exploded.

With all that being said, trying different bourbons is fun, especially when you're able to appreciate the unique flavors of each. I haven't gotten into the ryes yet, but will probably venture that way next year. I have far too many open bottles right now, so I need to drink them first lol.

DD

"Rambo"
I'm a scotch drinker. Haven't tried bourbons yet. Whats one youd recommend?
There are a lot of options for starting out, but if you want something that's inexpensive, and a bourbon that most bourbon drinkers will drink, then Buffalo Trace would be my recommendation. It has just enough burn to it, and the flavors are pretty representative of what bourbon is.

The other one I see recommended a lot is Bulleit. Between those two, I'd still recommend Buffalo Trace. You can find bottles at pretty much any Binny's for $25 or so.

bryman

Oooh, my favorite is bourbon too! My favorite daily is Elijah Craig and High West Campfire for when I'm feeling fancy. I don't really like ryes unless part of a blend, and not crazy about Tennessee style either. I like a rich, full bodied bourbon with plenty of wood flavor. I prefer it neat to enjoy the burn. :alcoholic:

york3rdbase

Premium member
Basil Heyden's is my new go to. Four Roses Single Barrel is a nice bottle as well, along with the previously mentioned Eagle Rare.

One of my favorites is Breckenridge. Smooth enough to easily sip, but bold enough so it is unique. Pretty decent price and can be found at Costco too. I started getting into bourbons probably like 2 years ago, and it's the only hard alcohol I drink (usually). Evan Williams single barrel is good for under $30, and I once got this one at Binny's, can't remember the name though, that was super smooth, but also higher alcohol content.

goat585

Administrator
I've never tried straight bourbons but am into bourbon barrel aged stouts. Some day I should try some straight bourbons to see how they are.

DD

"Rambo"
I've never tried straight bourbons but am into bourbon barrel aged stouts. Some day I should try some straight bourbons to see how they are.
I can't recommend Buffalo Trace enough to folks that haven't really tried straight bourbon out. I poured myself some the other day and the flavor profile is very typical of good quality bourbon, despite being mass produced.

One that is constantly recommended by people is Eagle Rare. I've searched for a bottle of that locally for 2 years, and only a couple weeks ago, was able to find it. For whatever reason it seems that it's a very common bottle on shelves in other states, however here it's not as commonly found. It's a decent bourbon, but seems that it has some very unique characteristics that kind of mute the taste of what bourbon should be.

Buffalo Trace is one that I'll stick with as a staple though.

DanSreef

Premium member
Great post..... Of course... now I need a bourbon... I like Buffalo Trace as well. My go to is Basil Hayden.

One that I am wanting to try is a local... Whiskey Acres in DeKalb is a great story. Go check them out. They have been winning awards and are part of a growing craft like distillery market... maybe the wrong description. But.... I am hoping to get there one of these days and check out their products.

tinman

i only drink bourbon (although very occasionally like once 3-4 months or in office parties ) and nothing else .. may be scotch if bourbon is not there and i need a drink.

i like Makers mark 46 .. anything nicer and in that flavor ?
https://www.makersmark.com/makers-46

madjoe

Premium member
Man you guys need AA lol jk. Man be so long since i had a drink of anything. A cold beer even sounds good right now . I will be honest im not sure if i ever had bourbon probably have though. Hell we used to drink anything that had some in the bottle when that ran out we went to the next bottle ugh so many empty bottles lol. I have heard good things about makers mark though

GugsJr

TeamCR
Sounds like we are having a meet, with different alcohols to sample....lol.. I have all Johnnies from Black label to Blue label.

Some one else can bring the Biurbon...lol

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I drink a lot of bourbon, but I prefer cocktails over neat (which I also enjoy). I mostly drink old fashion’s, sazaracs, or boulevardiers (all strained with no ice). For the last few years, I really just love drinks with Campari. My go to drink is a Negroni (gin based) and all of the offshoots of that (old pal, boulevardier, etc).

DD

"Rambo"
So of the bourbons I own, the one I like the least, which was the one I've been trying to find for a couple of years is Eagle Rare.

When I first opened the bottle, I served it how I normally do, neat. The flavors were very confusing because it seemed like they were not standing out from one another, but were clashing.

I tried it a second time, but added some Kentucky limestone mixing water, just a splash, but had the same result.

Yesterday I made an ice ball using the same water, but didn't let it freeze all the way through, and wound up with bourbon and water after 5 minutes. Prior to the ice ball cracking and flooding the bourbon, I did start to see the flavors start to open up. I'll probably try it again, except letting the ice ball freeze completely.

bryman

So of the bourbons I own, the one I like the least, which was the one I've been trying to find for a couple of years is Eagle Rare.

When I first opened the bottle, I served it how I normally do, neat. The flavors were very confusing because it seemed like they were not standing out from one another, but were clashing.

I tried it a second time, but added some Kentucky limestone mixing water, just a splash, but had the same result.

Yesterday I made an ice ball using the same water, but didn't let it freeze all the way through, and wound up with bourbon and water after 5 minutes. Prior to the ice ball cracking and flooding the bourbon, I did start to see the flavors start to open up. I'll probably try it again, except letting the ice ball freeze completely.
To be honest, I'm not a big fan of Eagle Rare 10 yr either. I think they changed it because I remember having it at a friends from an older bottle and it was good. But any of the new ones I've had have been very hot and without much flavor.

DD

"Rambo"
To be honest, I'm not a big fan of Eagle Rare 10 yr either. I think they changed it because I remember having it at a friends from an older bottle and it was good. But any of the new ones I've had have been very hot and without much flavor.
Okay cool so it's just not me.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
Basil Heyden's is my new go to. Four Roses Single Barrel is a nice bottle as well, along with the previously mentioned Eagle Rare.
Same here...Basil Hayden is in regular rotation with Angel's Envy, Buffalo Trace, and Woodford....

For those of you looking to try a great smooth rye...High West Rendezvous Rye is my favorite!