bubble tip anemone lighting?

gg1111

I have a bridgelux led light with a dimmer 2watt x 55 leds. What would be the best light balance for bubble tip anemones. more blue light, more white light, or 50/50. and what fixures are best for bubbletips ( for maximum color).

SkullV

Any mix that looks good to your eyes will be fine for the nem. Color will probably pop better with more blue. My nem tank runs 12 royal blues and 2 whites.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
So this has me thinking, what gets the best color out of bta's, intense light (or less intense) or feeding? I know some feed and some don't, mostly wondering if feeding has an impact on growth and color...?

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Gilbert, has this nem settled already? Why do you want maximum color? I feed mine twice a week or try, but on lighting it will move until it reaches what it wants in light. Don't try to please the nem as the rest of the corals will suffer from it. So if you’re current lighting is good and corals look great!! Leave it alone

Unless if this is a dedicated nem tank

SkullV

So this has me thinking, what gets the best color out of bta's, intense light (or less intense) or feeding? I know some feed and some don't, mostly wondering if feeding has an impact on growth and color...?
Feeding definitely impacts growth, but I don't believe it has much impact on color. I have found that blue lighting brings out orange/yellow/green a lot more where white light gets you the deep reds.

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Ted, what are your thoughts about strong lighting which will cause the nems to bubble up vs noodles fingers with weak lighting?

SkullV

Ted, what are your thoughts about strong lighting which will cause the nems to bubble up vs noodles fingers with weak lighting?
My thoughts are that lighting has nothing to do with the bubble vs. noodle. My current 3 nems are all under one light, at all the same PAR (within 25 +/-) and one has no bubbles, one is half bubbled half noodle, and one is all bubbles. No one knows why they bubble vs noodle. I wish we did though!

gg1111

Gilbert, has this nem settled already? Why do you want maximum color? I feed mine twice a week or try, but on lighting it will move until it reaches what it wants in light. Don't try to please the nem as the rest of the corals will suffer from it. So if you’re current lighting is good and corals look great!! Leave it alone

Unless if this is a dedicated nem tank
Nem is settled now .but didn't like the light very much at first. I don't have manny corals so I can play with the lights a bit. my rbta's red color is faded , but my orange ones are okay! Ted might be on to something with white light for red!

cet98

Gilbert, I have been keeping BTAs for years and while I'm not an expert.....though I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.....I find that BTAs will color up differently based on more than just lighting conditions. Water parameters play a role in the overall coloration as well.

Nems like excellent water quality and consistent water quality at that...I have also found that UV lighting has played a role in the colors of my nems too...
there are many variables that will lend to the coloration of any coral so it is difficult to try and "dial-in" maximum color....and FWIW, I would be wary of making multiple color shifts to your lighting over a short period of time. As Dre said, the nem is not the only coral in your tank and the others will be affected by the changes as well...some good, some bad....

IME I have found it can take weeks or months for the coloration of a coral to adjust to the changes in color spectrum and intensity...so please be cautious as you make changes.

SkullV

Gilbert, I have been keeping BTAs for years and while I'm not an expert.....though I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.....I find that BTAs will color up differently based on more than just lighting conditions. Water parameters play a role in the overall coloration as well.

Nems like excellent water quality and consistent water quality at that...I have also found that UV lighting has played a role in the colors of my nems too...
there are many variables that will lend to the coloration of any coral so it is difficult to try and "dial-in" maximum color....and FWIW, I would be wary of making multiple color shifts to your lighting over a short period of time. As Dre said, the nem is not the only coral in your tank and the others will be affected by the changes as well...some good, some bad....

IME I have found it can take weeks or months for the coloration of a coral to adjust to the changes in color spectrum and intensity...so please be cautious as you make changes.
^^^Good things only happen slowly in this hobby.