bubble tip anemone lighting?

cet98

I want bubbles!!!! Tell us :cat:
Me too..bubble I want...Craig, don't be a Chinese secrete ancient..

well.......first I fondle them softly as I read them romance novels by L. Ron Hubbard....and then......blah blah blah blah blah.....

seriously....there is no "actual" predetermined method to getting them to bubble but I stumbled on a theory that has seemingly worked for me for the last year or two....flow

I use two MP10s to create flow in my system and while attempting to find the "right" mode for my reef, I found that the Short Pulse mode (I had previously mentioned it was the Long Pulse but after reviewing the manual I come to find it is actually the Short Pulse mode: Blue Light) has generated a consistent "bubble" on my BTAs... I currently have nine BTAs, seven of which are non-clones, placed in my system at different intervals and each and every one of them have settled in my system and bubbled almost immediately...when the MP10s are stopped for cleaning maintenance or feeding time, you can immediately see the nems bubbles start to thin out and expand....

say what you will, but so far it seems to be the case...at least for me... :)

SkullV

I use two MP10s to create flow in my system and while attempting to find the "right" mode for my reef, I found that the Short Pulse mode (I had previously mentioned it was the Long Pulse but after reviewing the manual I come to find it is actually the Short Pulse mode: Blue Light) has generated a consistent "bubble" on my BTAs... I currently have nine BTAs, seven of which are non-clones, placed in my system at different intervals and each and every one of them have settled in my system and bubbled almost immediately...when the MP10s are stopped for cleaning maintenance or feeding time, you can immediately see the nems bubbles start to thin out and expand...
Very interesting. I wonder why there is such variance in many tanks between bubbling and not. I run two return pumps through the false wall in my nem tank so it's a constant flow and the bubbling is totally random. Either way, nice bubbles dood.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
I have 5 bta's in my 75 "nem" tank now. 1 is always stringy, and the other 4 start each day bubbled but then by mid-day one of them goes stringy. Then the next morning it will be bubbled again. 3 stay bubbled all the time.

rako1

Premium member
I noticed one thing that made my bubble tip bubble, My bta found a spot it liked and stayed there and went to noodle tip he seemed happy there so I was happy he wasn't moving anymore after 4 months I put a porcelain crab that hung in the bta which i think irritated it because It bubbled up beautifully and kept its bubble tip untill the crab was killed by another crab and went back to noodle tip so my theory is anything that irritates it weather it is flow, intense light or something else, might cause it to bubble. (my 2 cents)

cet98

that's not a bad theory Mike... ;)

for me however, I presume my nems are happy (as opposed to irritated) because they never move from their spots. As you can see in my pix from post #16 just how close they choose to be by the MP10s and the pulsing flow....I would think that if they were unhappy or irritated, they would move given they have that ability....
but none the less, I do like your theory... ;)

gg1111

How about feeding? They turn darker at least the inner disk and some of the tentacles , but what about the rest of the nem?

Mackch

I have 2 BTA, One is in heavy flow and one is in moderate flow. The one in heavy flow has bubbles on half of him that is exposed to the heavy flow. He is about 8" opened, the one in moderate flow that is kind of under the other has noodles they are under 250 MH 14k. I think Flow and lighting play a factor with them having bubbles. not just one or the other imo.

gg1111

I have 2 BTA, One is in heavy flow and one is in moderate flow. The one in heavy flow has bubbles on half of him that is exposed to the heavy flow. He is about 8" opened, the one in moderate flow that is kind of under the other has noodles they are under 250 MH 14k. I think Flow and lighting play a factor with them having bubbles. not just one or the other imo.
+1 I would say good flow or bright white light makes them bubble!

gg1111

Great info in this thread. How about best light fixture for nems.. I like leds but I miss my t5s. What light fixtures make bubbletips nems look the best (maximum. Color). ??????

mishmaster

My BTA's have split about 5 times now, I've sold a few and traded some. Currently have about 7-8 I think. I use 2 double ended MH 10k (or was it 14? i have to check) and the adjacent T5 actinics balance out the white. So light on the high and white side plus stuffing them every other day will net growth and splits. IME

this my bta> rbta

been using 3 watt leds coral compulsion auto dimable and this is what it looks like with strong water flow. About put the bta in another 27 next to my 90gal with t5 and antics custom light to see if it bubbles up with stronger lighting and less flow. Time will tell

zportell

just read a few of the posts... I have an LED / t5 combo light. blues set at 80%, Whites at 60%, R/G channel 60% - t5's are 3 actinic and 1 purple plus.

I have noticed with my RBTA's when they don't get enough light, they stretch for the lighting. When they get too much, they will bleach out and look, translucent. Too much heat will also cause them to change color. However, with that said, I barely feed mine. They feed off the food that is floating around the tank from fish feedings.. I started with 1 and I now have 9. all, which have grown to at least 3 inches and up to 12 inches across. I've noticed that lighting does indeed effect their colors. All of this said, keep in mind they move and I actually have one surviving in my overflow about 20 inches down. 0 light get's there unless I shine a flash light. The color: Vibrant Hot Pink... (he started out deep crimson red).

My $0.02

Triji

I think mine is broken. It seems happy hanging upside down in the shadows of my rock structure.
It is getting good flow, but I can't imagine it gets much light. Any ideas ?
View attachment 10231

cet98

I think mine is broken. It seems happy hanging upside down in the shadows of my rock structure.
It is getting good flow, but I can't imagine it gets much light. Any ideas ?
from the looks of your pic...you may have have too much like...
was this nem recently bought?....if so, I would not be surprised if it is sheltering itself from the light and trying to acclimate itself to it....

Triji

from the looks of your pic...you may have have too much like...
was this nem recently bought?....if so, I would not be surprised if it is sheltering itself from the light and trying to acclimate itself to it....
It is new, and it's in a nano cube, so the LEDs (3 white, 3 blue) are either on or off.

Siebo

Premium member
It is new, and it's in a nano cube, so the LEDs (3 white, 3 blue) are either on or off.
Can you dim the LED's ? If so turn them down to about half the power and the turn up a little each week until back where you like.

Triji

Can you dim the LED's ? If so turn them down to about half the power and the turn up a little each week until back where you like.
Unfortunately, I can't dim them. I will just have to wait it out, and see where it decides to move to.