Buying and selling conduct

Triggerdood

I'm not a drinker but I thought the same thing.
I'm not a big drinker either, but if someone were to come over on a sat/sun, and I'm having a beer, so be it. Don't like it, take your $ to the lfs. It's kinda sad imo, that there even has to be a thread about proper etiquette.

jayjerk

Premium member
I'm not a big drinker either, but if someone were to come over on a sat/sun, and I'm having a beer, so be it. Don't like it, take your $ to the lfs. It's kinda sad imo, that there even has to be a thread about proper etiquette.
+1

trackfast

Princess Trainer
"9. Don't lowball; this is an expensive hobby. You know that getting in."

Is this too hard for people to comprehend?

Sawdonkey

Premium member
"9. Don't lowball; this is an expensive hobby. You know that getting in."

Is this too hard for people to comprehend?
And if you can't help yourself to not break #9, don't do it publicly and TOTALLY embarrass yourself.

I'd also like to add more of a suggestion than a rule: don't try to sell stuff that is commonly given away (birdsnest, chaeto, etc). Help a brother out with the stuff that grows like weeds and let this brother know if you want some birdsnest or chaeto.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
I'd also like to add more of a suggestion than a rule: don't try to sell stuff that is commonly given away (birdsnest, chaeto, etc). Help a brother out with the stuff that grows like weeds and let this brother know if you want some birdsnest or chaeto.
It's a good suggestion but the problem is that different people will of course value things differently. There is a current thread about why reefers seem to be coveting chalices right now; the OP wouldn't pay good money for a tiny eye. A lot of us treat Xenia like they're weeds but in different parts of the US they actually WANT the stuff. lol

SkullV

I think a huge one that should be on this list for BUYERS is to let people know if a seller has pests in their system that they aren't disclosing. This is extremely important to prevent the spread of things like redbugs and other difficult to see pests that spread quickly.

Pufferpunk

I agree but let's be fair--if someone posts here about a pest & gets rid of them, folks shouldn't be re-posting that thread 5 years later on their FS threads!

JRT

This is NOT a reaction to a recent transaction but I've experienced and heard enough of what happens sometimes. Hopefully this will help those new or unsure of how a transaction takes place. Obviously different members have their own rules.

1. Don't be late. Don't message me at the time we're supposed to meet and tell me you're still 45 minutes away. (5
or 10 minutes is understandable).
2. Don't bring guests. This is more on the buyer; ask the seller if others can attend.
3. If you don't have PayPal bring the exact amount.
4. I like people to take off their shoes in my house.
5. Bring a cooler whether it's cold or warm.
6. Don't take up too much time. I'll look at others' tanks and show mine but I don't stay 5+ hours and you
shouldn't either.
7. If you're selling make sure you have the proper containers/bags. Exchange 5G buckets with the buyer for
bigger items.
8. It's perfectly fine to meet in a public place when dealing with someone for the first time.
9. Don't lowball; this is an expensive hobby. You know that getting in.
9a. Negotiate a new price when meeting IF and only IF, the product does not fit the given description. But be
prepared for the seller to decline.

Again, this is just how I like things done. Your results may vary.
All these a great points, #4 As a buyer I would ask if I need to take my shoes off specially if you have carpets, being polite and respectful specially going to other peoples houses its a must for me, As a seller I don"t mind at all specially if they tell me they have stinky socks ...lol!

Deezill

Premium member
Well, These are great points but Imma have to disagree with #4. Keep your shoes on. I really don't like corn chips or the smell of them. It is my opinion if you are that sensitive about your flooring or people coming to your abode with shoes just have a meeting area. This is just me and my off thinking. :)