Can a 75 gal. run with Hang On Filter and Protein Skimmer? How to set up tank?

Saltwater35gal

I am thinking of upgrading from 35 gal bow-front to 75 gal corner tank. For tank hygiene I currently have an Eshopps Hang On Protein Skimmer PSK-100H (75 to 100 Gal.) and a Seachem Tidal 75 Aquarium Power filter (up to 75 Gal.). I change 5-6 gal. of water each week (approx. 18%).
The 75 gal. tank that I am looking at is currently in use at a commercial vendor, maintained by some fish supply company. It has freshwater fish. I don't know what kind of equipment it has, I will not know what it has until I get it.
Questions:
1) Is my equipment (above) in addition to 5 or 10 gal. water changes per week sufficient for a 75 gal. saltwater tank?
2) If I transfer all equipment, water, rocks, sand, and fish and keep nothing new (or previously used) do I still have to cycle the tank? If so, how long?
3) Any other things to watch out for? Any suggestions?

jrwoltman

Personally, I think a sump and a large skimmer would be a much better choice. I don't see how a HOB could get the job done properly. 8-10 gallon weekly water changes for sure. You will need more sand and rock and with more sand and rock there will still be at least a mini cycle.

wrasse

Is the tank reef ready? Try to get a tank with a sump. The sump will make your setup way easier to maintain and give you more options. Are you limited on dimensions for some reason?
If I were you skip the freshwater. Buy some marine pure: bio block or spheres you won't need much and cycle them in your current tank. While you are waiting find some equipment here or Craigslist if you are looking for used. Get a larger skimmer you will be happy you did.

#theMatrix

If your going with a hob skimmer....you can get a reef octo back pack skimmer that will pull out nice skimmate but can be loud. You can even get a hang back fuge the point is its alot of hong back stuff that takes away from the tanks look.
With the sump...you can take the clutter in the stand and leave the system to look great.
As far as cycles you will get a small cycle if your current system is already established. Is your current system a reef? Are you going with a fish only? With live rock? Or reef/mixed? I would start looking for dry rock or live at the time being.

Saltwater35gal

Personally, I think a sump and a large skimmer would be a much better choice. I don't see how a HOB could get the job done properly.
Just wondering, what is the benefit of an even larger skimmer since this one is designed for 75 to 100 gal (and the tank would be 75 gal)?

More sand, that is true.

I do have more rock that I used to have in the tank but it got too crowded. I will find it and place it back into the small tank.

Thanks!

Saltwater35gal

Is the tank reef ready? Try to get a tank with a sump. The sump will make your setup way easier to maintain and give you more options. Are you limited on dimensions for some reason?
Thanks Wrasse! Could you explain how a sump makes things easier? I guess I don't understand what a sump really does and how it differs from what a filter and power head do. I still would need to do manual water changes right? Lets go with the assumption that I don't care about the visual of hang over back instruments for now ;-) and that I do need quiet operations.

Saltwater35gal

Thanks Matrix,
fish/shrimps/crabs for now and some bright orange and yellow polyps (no clue what they are called, I might call them "mommy, they are so pretty, need to have them - polyps") that have miraculously made it for a year now. Plenty of live rock. Sand. I wouldn't mind to eventually get some reefy things (with time), and a starfish etc.

jrwoltman

If you have a sump, your water volume will end up being closer to 100 gallons. A larger skimmer if it fits nicely in the sump will pull out more gunk than one rated for 75-100 gallons.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
If the potential new tank is used for freshwater, I'd make sure you know if copper was used in the tank to treat the fish at any point in time.

There were rumors at some time (unsure if they were ever proven one way or another) that copper leaches into the silicone during treatment. I have heard many others confirming that giving the tank a vinegar bath is more than enough for re-use.

Just be careful for your inverts!

madjoe

Premium member
If the potential new tank is used for freshwater, I'd make sure you know if copper was used in the tank to treat the fish at any point in time.

There were rumors at some time (unsure if they were ever proven one way or another) that copper leaches into the silicone during treatment. I have heard many others confirming that giving the tank a vinegar bath is more than enough for re-use.

Just be careful for your inverts!
Lies lol . It probably does leach into stuff but bot enough to cause issues hell all my sand tank rock was treated at one point and never even rinsed . ive used copper treated tanks all the time hell even kept shrimp in copper treated water . That was a accident but it lived no problem lol. The only negative effect i can say for sure about copper treated is coraline algae takes super long before it wants to grow on the rock and what not . But eventually that starts to grow too .

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Lies lol . It probably does leach into stuff but bot enough to cause issues hell all my sand tank rock was treated at one point and never even rinsed . ive used copper treated tanks all the time hell even kept shrimp in copper treated water . That was a accident but it lived no problem lol. The only negative effect i can say for sure about copper treated is coraline algae takes super long before it wants to grow on the rock and what not . But eventually that starts to grow too .
Lol good to know

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk