ChicagoReefs.com Official Spring 2012 Paly Grow-Out Contest

FishBeard

Sorry in advance if I missed it. What do these Palys look like? OR are they the ones in the announcement photo?
ALSO:
If I pick up next weekend and get (as you put it) baby bumps do those count? or are those part excluded from the grow out?
Yep, the colony pictured will be the grow out polyps. Very large, between dime and penny size, and from what I can tell, decent grower as well. One polyp will be handed out at pickup, whatever grows after that is fair game.

helitaiwan963

Ok, I'll be the first to post. This is my 1st growout and not expecting much but wanted to give it a try now my tank is pretty well established :)

So, here's a quick writeup of my system:

Size: 75gal DT with a 30gal Sump
Flow: medium, indirect flow off of 2x koralia 1400's, other various smaller powerheads
Filtration: ASM G4 Skimmer, BRS Ligonite carbon in a media bag, Chaeto in the sump
Lighting 2x 250w Reef Optix Pendants, phenoix 14k bulbs, 2x110w VHO super actinics(bulbs on these are pretty much done for, just for sunrise and sunset effect, off when MH are on)
Placement: On the sand bed, plug is glued onto a piece of rock rubble for space to grow.
Coral food: Phyto2 phyto, rods,cyclopeeze, daphina, mysis
Fish: Blue tang,flame angel, yellow tang, GS maroon clown, cleaner wrasse. 6line,chomis, lawnmower blenny, various shrimps/CUC

Initial pic into the tank... Sorry for the crappy quality. I was in a rush before the lights went off. New bulbs so had to shorten the light schedule. It is still on the plug! (the frag on the upper right of that rock rubble)

Excited to see everyone's results!

Thanks
Eric

FishBeard

Pick up already??
Special situation, he helped me move my 180 on his last day of break for college, won't be back again until end of semester. He brought glue with and accepted a fresh cut. I will be fragging a batch today for pickup later this week.

Cubbies

Alright! What the hell. Put me in for 2. One for me and one for the wife. She wants to try different tanks out. I didn't want to beat all you guys out but I guess I'ma have to now :bootyshake::tongue (2)::heh:

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Alright! What the hell. Put me in for 2. One for me and one for the wife. She wants to try different tanks out. I didn't want to beat all you guys out but I guess I'ma have to now :bootyshake::tongue (2)::heh:
Are you sure you could beat my zoa factory tank?!?!! LOL!!! Bring it ;) Don't make me get 2 now...

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
I just paid. lemme know when you they can be picked up. i'll probably also pick up dansreef's too. He was thinking he'll pay cash at time of pickup. Also, do you still have the crappy mushrooms for my fowlr, lol ?

FishBeard

I just paid. lemme know when you they can be picked up. i'll probably also pick up dansreef's too. He was thinking he'll pay cash at time of pickup. Also, do you still have the crappy mushrooms for my fowlr, lol ?
I should have the glue today and can cut tonight if so. Sometime towards the end of the week for pickup will work. Mushroom rock ended up in the brute can with no light 2 weekends ago. They were just too far gone, I don't believe they were going to recover. I needed to kill off all the algae on that liverock for my new fuge when it's ready.

FishBeard

Any word on setting up someone closer to the city? If that happens I will be in for sure.
I will likely be swinging by chicagophil sometime this weekend, I could bring frags with if you can coordinate to meet up with me or PayPal me and pickup from him if he's willing to hold a few.

FishBeard

Yes, weekend pickup is possible. Fragging the first batch tonight before I go to sleep. Wanted the polyps to close up on their own before cutting.