ChicagoReefs COMMUNITY PAR METER LOAN/RENTAL PROGRAM

jrpark22000

Premium member
ChicagoReefs COMMUNITY PAR METER LOAN/RENTAL PROGRAM

The deposit is to cover CR’s replacement cost of a replacement meter if one is lost during the loan/rental process. The varying levels deposit are formed from how active a user is as a basis of the likely hood the meter will be returned per the rental terms. The more a member has invested into the community the more the deposit is lessened.
Option #1 is for those who are very active members
Option #2 is for those who are active members
Option #3 is for everyone else wanting the use of the CR community meter

Option #1
$150 deposit (paid via paypal or possibly other methods)
250 meaningful posts
Thread(s) in “Member’s Reef Tank” area featuring your tank(s) with LOTS of photos of your tank
$10 weekly rental fee for non-premium members (Plus 1 way shipping costs and you ship back to me cost around $7 USPS small flat rate box)(local Chicagoland delivery area only please)
Free rental for premium members (2 way shipping included free)(local Chicagoland delivery area only please)
3 week maximum rental period (after 4 weeks deposit will be forfeit)

Option #2
$250 deposit (paid via paypal or possibly other methods)
150 meaningful posts
Thread(s) in “Member’s Reef Tank” area featuring your tank(s) with a minimum 5 photos of your tank(s)
$10 weekly rental fee for non-premium members (Plus 1 way shipping costs and you ship back to me cost around $7 USPS small flat rate box)(local Chicagoland delivery area only please)
Free rental for premium members (2 way shipping included free)(local Chicagoland delivery area only please)

Option #3
$350 deposit (paid via paypal or possibly other methods)
30 meaningful posts

Details and Terms PLEASE READ COMPLETELY
We only have one of these so please return it as soon as you are done.

Deposit will be refunded after the meter is received back. For premium members, no rental or shipping charges will be taken. For non-premium members, the refund will be issued less the rental and shipping cost. The amount will vary depending on the option chosen from above, the length of the rental and actual shipping costs.

The meter will ship in a USPS small flat rate regional box. Please return the meter going to the post office and use a small flat rate shipping box, and packaging material that was provided. If you are unsure about your postal carrier, please return it using your local post office or add insurance. The rental time starts once the meter is delivered (as shown by usps tracking) and ends the day it is received back.

The person paying the deposit is responsible for the safe return if the meter. If the meter is damaged while rented/loaned, the meter is considered purchased. If the meter is never returned, lost before shipping back, damaged by things such as; water, dogs, children, bald eagles, zombies, or a hungry triggerfish, the meter is considered purchased and the deposit is forfeit.

Shipping damage If the usps delivery box was damaged in transit to your location, document the damage PRIOR to opening the package. Contact chicagoreefs@gmail or send a pm to jrpark22000 before opening the box to ensure I can accurately document the damage. You will not be charged any rental fees for such a delay.

Note on shipping: A meter picked up and returned locally in NWI, 46322 will not be charged shipping fees.

By paying the deposit, you agree to the terms of the loan/rental. Terms can be modified anytime the meter is checked in and is not out on loan/rental. Loan/Rental is based on the discretion of CR's admin to safeguard the community funded meter. A week is defined as seven consecutive calendar days. The number of rental week charges can be reduced based on individual situations.

PAR meter FAQs: http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/aquarium-par-meters/
Full meter instructions (model MQ-200): https://www.apogeeinstruments.com/content/MQ-100_200_300manual.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

jrpark22000

Premium member
Shipping Estimates as of 12/2014;
regional medium flat rate boxes w/ usps tracking(free) $5.32 and up
forever small flat rate boxes $5.95

Becoming a Premium member really pays off if you'd like to use the community meter. Currently 2 way shipping is $11.27 and up depending on location.

Info on Premium membership;
http://www.chicagoreefs.com/index.php?pageid=premiummember

The meter location/status will be tracked in this thread. When the meter is sent out and returned it will be checked in and out here. I'll reserve the next post to be used for checkin/out status and a waiting list, if there ever becomes the need for a waiting list. The next post will also have a link to the post documenting the current condition of the meter.

jrpark22000

Premium member
Current status of the Meter Checked OUT - JMalone81 11/21/2017

Post documenting meter's current condition post #7

Waiting list;
1. wrasse

Last edited:

jrpark22000

Premium member
Instructions included with the delivery of the meter;
The meter has been tested prior to shipping. The battery was replaced (if needed) and the meter was cleared of all defects, it is in proper working order. Any major cosmetic or other faults were documented in the loan/rental thread on chicagoreefs. http://www.chicagoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?23625-ChicagoReefs-COMMUNITY-PAR-METER-LOAN-RENTAL-PROGRAM

Please handle the meter carefully, new replacements are currently more than $300. The meter IS NOT WATERPROOF, only the round sensor is waterproof. The meter and sensor are not built to take the impact of being dropped, dropping either could cause damage and forfeit of the deposit.

To operate the meter;
Place the (waterproof) round sensor into your tank (domed side up) at the locations(s) you would like to measure the PAR. Once the meter is turned ON, the results will be displayed on the screen. Full instructions can be found on the manufacturers website:
https://www.apogeeinstruments.com/content/MQ-100_200_300manual.pdf

Due to chipping cost a handle has not been supplied to enable easier use of the waterproof sensor. Please DO NOT use any metal objects to hold the sensor that will damage or scratch it.

Notes on meter use;
Don't shade the top of the sensor with your hand or other obstructions, this will affect the results. Surface movement of the water also affects the results, but this is expected. This is the same variance your corals see due to surface movement.

IF ANY Error or Problem is encountered while using the meter, please do not attempt to fix it yourself. Please contact chicagoreefs@gmail or send a pm to jrpark22000 immediately. We will work through whatever problems you are experiencing. Opening the meter or probe will forfeit the deposit.

To return the meter;
Place the meter and probe into the "SMALL FLAT RATE" usps shipping box that was included when you received the meter. this Small flat rate box is already addressed and had the return postage paid. Be sure to use the packaging material and secure the meter in the box for a safe return.

Accidents do happen, if one does happen while the meter is on loan/rental please be honest and let me know when it happens. I will be much more willing to work with anyone who lets me know before the meter is received back in a condition worse than it was delivered. Contact chicagoreefs@gmail or send a pm to jrpark22000

Shipping damage If the usps delivery box was damaged in transit to your location, document the damage PRIOR to opening the package. Contact chicagoreefs@gmail or send a pm to jrpark22000 before opening the box to ensure I can accurately document the damage. You will not be charged any rental fees for such a delay.

Last edited:

jrpark22000

Premium member
A quick note, I still don't have the shipping material in hand. I'm waiting for usps delivery. I know of at least one local NWI reefer wanting the meter, so I'm starting the program before the arrival of the shipping material.

jrpark22000

Premium member
Meter is checked back in and tested. It's in the exact same documented condition. Sending PM to next in line [MENTION=3112]morleyz[/MENTION]

jrpark22000

Premium member
Meter is checked back in and tested. It's in the exact same documented condition. Sending PM to next in line [MENTION=1455]Sawdonkey[/MENTION]