Clear PVC

conchman

Premium member
Got the tank, (thanks tinman), just picked up the sump, Trigger Emerald 20. Thinking thru return pump and drains. Outside of the algae issue, anyone use clear PVC for part or all of the drain/return systems? Any other issues that might be of concern?

mikenh77

Got the tank, (thanks tinman), just picked up the sump, Trigger Emerald 20. Thinking thru return pump and drains. Outside of the algae issue, anyone use clear PVC for part or all of the drain/return systems? Any other issues that might be of concern?
Only issues I can think of with clear pipes are possible algae from light exposure that you will have virtually no way to clean out. Back when I had a HOB overflow, the clear U tube would always get a decent amount of algae growing in there. It would then filter out the food particles and waste... growing bigger. Plus you'll get the regular non photosynthetic stuff like sponges, spirobidae, etc growing in there which IMO could look a lot less clean and pristine than a simple white, black, or red tube.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mikenh77

Only issues I can think of with clear pipes are possible algae from light exposure that you will have virtually no way to clean out. Back when I had a HOB overflow, the clear U tube would always get a decent amount of algae growing in there. It would then filter out the food particles and waste... growing bigger. Plus you'll get the regular non photosynthetic stuff like sponges, spirobidae, etc growing in there which IMO could look a lot less clean and pristine than a simple white, black, or red tube.

But now that I think of it I have a lot of soft clear vinyl I run off my main pump for my reactors and ATS. The insides don't really get dirty and are exposed to a decent amount of light. Go figure. Let me know how it goes!

conchman

Premium member
Was just thinking it thru. Now that you mention it, I remember on my 65, I ran a Life Reef overflow, and had a spare U Tube I used to swap out for algae growth. Always figured it was back wash light from the Ecotech. That was easy to take care of. Like you said, under the tank will all be glued, just will have a couple of full union/valves, I may not want to risk this for the sake of "cool factor". Thinking maybe the algae and other stuff may have a hard time getting ahold on the vinyl...we know what they can do on PVC and glass!

It’s going to look like yellow green brown poop from algae and other slime that will grow in it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tinman

+1, every 6 months I take out a majority of my tubing for cleaning/maintenance. It alwyas has a brown slime from bacteria (vinegar dosing.)

I use spa flex for the same reason.
do we have to clean them ? i havent touched those tubes in over 2 years or so i think :)

conchman

Premium member
"It’s going to look like yellow green brown poop from algae and other slime that will grow in it..."

Thinking that pretty much solved that. Grey schedule 40, red fittings it is!!! I will isolate the pump with a little hose...done. Last tank was running for a year. Will PVC have to be taken apart at some point?

jrpark22000

Premium member
do we have to clean them ? i havent touched those tubes in over 2 years or so i think :)
Needed, no. My system is tight, so a few pipes have to come out to get all the pumps out, a few more unions coming apart is nothing. It allows me to check union orings wearing out and check for critters living in the pipes slowing flow.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
"It’s going to look like yellow green brown poop from algae and other slime that will grow in it..."

Thinking that pretty much solved that. Grey schedule 40, red fittings it is!!! I will isolate the pump with a little hose...done. Last tank was running for a year. Will PVC have to be taken apart at some point?
FYI, they charge an arm and a leg got furniture grade fittings (colors). My plan for my current build is schedule 40 white and I purchased a few cans of Krylon red and grey spray paint.

Food for thought anyway..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk