Connecting rods for Evergrow/Reefbreeders fixtures

edsbeaker

Has anyone used some type of Connecting Rods to join two evergrow or reef breeders LED fixtures together so that you only need the outer ends of each fixture suspended from the ceiling? I was thinking mending plates, but they don't seem to come long enough. Any ideas would be appreciated. The screw holes on each fixture are about 6" from the end, so I would need something that spans at least 14" or so. It doesn't have to be pretty, they are inside a canopy.

Herbie

Banned
how about attaching both to or (hanging them from) a single stronger strut suspended from the ends. I would think that span would be pretty tough to keep straight with anything threaded in line.

DB9181

Hi Nate,
OK..... what is a strut and where would I get one???? :flirt:

Thanks!
Lol the initial thought off the top of my head is to just get some 1x2 boards and build a simple frame (with some center braces), mount the units on there, and then hang that 'unit' for 2 cables - Eventually making that into a floating canopy.

Herbie

Banned
Hi Nate,
OK..... what is a strut and where would I get one???? :flirt:

Thanks!
http://www.gregorycorp.com/strut_gstrut.cfm
something like that. Homedepot and menards sell the same stuff in their straight stock section. Might even have some fancy chrome. Cut to fit lenght with a hacksaw or angle grinder, then use stock hanging bolts if they fit or drill holes to fit. (Put sections on you scanner/coppier to make a nice paper template if necessary). Take one of the stock hanging bolts along to hardware store and get washers and nuts to fit or whatever works for you actual contact between the armature and the lights. Then post pics.

Herbie

Banned
Lol the initial thought off the top of my head is to just get some 1x2 boards and build a simple frame (with some center braces), mount the units on there, and then hang that 'unit' for 2 cables - Eventually making that into a floating canopy.
1x2 under weight will definitely bow at some point unless you make a monster. Metal is so much better in the application because the measurements can stay compact over longer distance without sag. Gravity is REALLY heavy.

Oh yeah, you can spray it with krylon fusion when you are all done if you want it to disappear.

edsbeaker

Like it! So the boards would support the fixtures from below, and then the boards themselves would be connected to the hanging kit?

Edit, just saw Nate's response that this might bow, so....

Herbie

Banned
oh and if the stock mounting holes are off center, just get a smaller thinner piece of something similar and bridge the front and back first and then attach that the the strut. (Can you tell that I would love to come help you with this?)

DB9181

Like it! So the boards would support the fixtures from below, and then the boards themselves would be connected to the hanging kit?

Edit, just saw Nate's response that this might bow, so....
Exactly, units sit on top of the 1x2 frame - could put "brace" on either side of the units to 'hold' them in place or some kind of screw/bracket -without seeing the units idk. and then just hang the wood frame from the corners.

Nate:
:hmmmm2: Metal hard... wood easy :hmmmm2:

edsbeaker

http://www.gregorycorp.com/strut_gstrut.cfm
something like that. Homedepot and menards sell the same stuff in their straight stock section. Might even have some fancy chrome. Cut to fit lenght with a hacksaw or angle grinder, then use stock hanging bolts if they fit or drill holes to fit. (Put sections on you scanner/coppier to make a nice paper template if necessary). Take one of the stock hanging bolts along to hardware store and get washers and nuts to fit or whatever works for you actual contact between the armature and the lights. Then post pics.
I FEEL SOOOO STUPID! I keep having to google for definitions....strut, armature... :banghead: Trying to wrap my head around this. I see what the struts look like now. Am I just bolting them into the stock holes of the fixture. That's where I'm losing you.

edsbeaker

Hey Dan,
Do you think the extra framing below the rim of the fixtures will block any of the lights around the perimeter?

One advantage about this idea is that I can make the framework the length of my tank and have the freedom to move the fixtures closer together or further apart to see what works best, but still a bit worried that it may bow....

edsbeaker

oh and if the stock mounting holes are off center, just get a smaller thinner piece of something similar and bridge the front and back first and then attach that the the strut. (Can you tell that I would love to come help you with this?)
I appreciate that, Nate! I may just let you. :biggrin1:

I like the idea of the framework, but if there is a chance that it will bow and my lights will be swimming.....

frostyjay1

what about a piece of 1/2" conduit. you can mount a couple blocks of wood to the top of the canopy, then use conduit straps into the blocks of wood. then you can use the hanging cables around the conduit and be able to slide the light left to right.

edsbeaker

what about a piece of 1/2" conduit. you can mount a couple blocks of wood to the top of the canopy, then use conduit straps into the blocks of wood. then you can use the hanging cables around the conduit and be able to slide the light left to right.
Thanks Jay,
I was really hoping to find a way to connect the two fixtures into one, and have it only being suspended by the two outside hanging cables, and the combined 2 fixtures hanging free.

frostyjay1

The way my canopy is made, I don't know if it can support the weight. It is framed in solid oak but the top is made of two panels that are very thin. Down the center, front to back, there is a solid 2" piece of oak, but on each side of that, just those thin panels.
hmmm. ok just a though

kratos1028

I actually made a metal frame stand to hold up my fixtures in my canopy. That was my best alternative to hanging them.

Herbie

Banned
lol, that strut will hold a mack truck. Conduit will bend over any distance greater than 2 feet. Are you working in a canopy? If so I'd just do 1 strut for each light and go front to back. If parallel length wise, the you can use more strut or a piece of flat stock drilled to match the holes in both the light and the strut. The nice thing about metal is that is also acts as a bit of a heat sink.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I think some 1/4" stock aluminum strips across the tops would accomplish this. Just drill holes in the top of each fixture. Put some washers and stainless bolts inside. There is quite a bit of dead space in these fixtures. Maybe even a strip across the back and one across the top?