Darienreefs New 190 Mixed Reef

rockhead

When I ran a 6 bulb over my 75 I had 4 blue+ and 2 coral+, I really liked the color of that combo

Tom

Darienreefs7

I got the tank plumbed and filled. It takes a 17 year old kid a really long time to hard plumb lol. I just put some sand in so I will take some pics when it's cleared up!

How far over the width of the tank do those brackets hang? I have what looks to be the same brackets that came with my 80g 24" in deep tank and it does not seem to be long enough to hang my ati sunpower over the middle of the tank ( light would be too far torwards the back ). Maybe they come in different sizes, and I will need a longer one? Tank build looks to be moving along great btw.

Darienreefs7

How far over the width of the tank do those brackets hang? I have what looks to be the same brackets that came with my 80g 24" in deep tank and it does not seem to be long enough to hang my ati sunpower over the middle of the tank ( light would be too far torwards the back ). Maybe they come in different sizes, and I will need a longer one? Tank build looks to be moving along great btw.
Actually that is the only problem with the brackets, they hang the light to far back instead of centered. I don't mind though because I'm going to add an Led strip to the front and it will allow me to put more delicate corals in the shade. If u don't want there to be less light in the front I would highly recommend hanging the light differently.

I haven't tried hanging them yet, just held them up there for reference and wasn't feeling good about it. After seeing yours I think I might try. Your light spread looks good all the way to the front and they look alot sexier than my diy hangers I am currently using. I am planning to add a reefbrite xho to the front of mine so I think it'll work. Thanks

Darienreefs7

I threw some Bio-Spira in a few weeks ago and added some of my established MarinePure spheres into the fuge. Gonna put all the fish in first and then start adding the corals.

I threw some Bio-Spira in a few weeks ago and added some of my established MarinePure spheres into the fuge. Gonna put all the fish in first and then start adding the corals.
How are you liking your marinepure spheres? I'm thinking about getting the 8x8x4 block to passively run in my sump and possibly the spheres for one of the baffles.

Darienreefs7

How are you liking your marinepure spheres? I'm thinking about getting the 8x8x4 block to passively run in my sump and possibly the spheres for one of the baffles.
I do like the spheres a lot and I think they are a great way to reduce nitrates. I have had 0 nitrates ever since adding them so feed your fish a lot if you plan on adding that many Marinepures.

Yea I've been reading a lot of good reviews and by asking people their experience. The only complaints I've heard are from expert scientists on some of the forums that have never used them in their tanks. I haven't seen anybody local use them yet, I'm sure some do though. They are going to go in my 150 and my plan was to feed heavy and not worry about fish selection really. I think between the marinepure and my oversized skimmer I should be good. Bulkreefsupply new 180 has 4 of the 8x8x4's in their sump which I thought was crazy.

Darienreefs7

Yea I've been reading a lot of good reviews and by asking people their experience. The only complaints I've heard are from expert scientists on some of the forums that have never used them in their tanks. I haven't seen anybody local use them yet, I'm sure some do though. They are going to go in my 150 and my plan was to feed heavy and not worry about fish selection really. I think between the marinepure and my oversized skimmer I should be good. Bulkreefsupply new 180 has 4 of the 8x8x4's in their sump which I thought was crazy.
I've also been following that BRS 180 build. Yeah I couldn't imagine dropping that much money on the blocks. I think the box of spheres is enough for a pretty sizable tank, given that they do their maintenance on it. I run my spheres in a media tray inbetween the baffles of my sump. I don't run a fuge but I think it's a great place for pods and other things to stay and populate. Best thing about them is they are in a high flow environment so they don't collect detritus. As far as protein skimmers I always oversize and the only problems as far as water quality I have is keeping nitrates up. I also don't run carbon or gfo on my 125 simply because there is no space. One of the reasons I upgraded.

Spartanman22

They have been known to leach aluminum. It is a ceramic product made of inorganic aluminosilicate. So, it can potentially leach aluminum, but I think the numbers speak for themselves. Many people, myself included, have run this product in all sorts of reef setups and have been successful. If you're worried about leaching run some carbon. I've used mine for a few months in an SPS dominant system and have noticed nothing but positives. I feed heavy in a small tank and nitrates are less than 1.0 mg/L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've also been following that BRS 180 build. Yeah I couldn't imagine dropping that much money on the blocks. I think the box of spheres is enough for a pretty sizable tank, given that they do their maintenance on it. I run my spheres in a media tray inbetween the baffles of my sump. I don't run a fuge but I think it's a great place for pods and other things to stay and populate. Best thing about them is they are in a high flow environment so they don't collect detritus. As far as protein skimmers I always oversize and the only problems as far as water quality I have is keeping nitrates up. I also don't run carbon or gfo on my 125 simply because there is no space. One of the reasons I upgraded.
It's great to see my own theories of how I want to run my new setup in practice by others. I've read and had some responses that the spheres are best used in the baffle but the blocks if used in a high flow as opposed to water passively moving through them tend to break down the block but that's after very long term use. I do like the spheres in high flow as you mentioned so they don't collect detritus. Definetly I'll be doing some dry skimming.

They have been known to leach aluminum. It is a ceramic product made of inorganic aluminosilicate. So, it can potentially leach aluminum, but I think the numbers speak for themselves. Many people, myself included, have run this product in all sorts of reef setups and have been successful. If you're worried about leaching run some carbon. I've used mine for a few months in an SPS dominant system and have noticed nothing but positives. I feed heavy in a small tank and nitrates are less than 1.0 mg/L
I've seen the research with the aluminum and the testing done with triton. One other reefer I kept in contact with mentioned to me he thought he had high amounts of aluminum in his tank from the blocks but once he tested again after removing the blocks months later his aluminum was slightly higher than when the blocks had been in the system. I figure anyways to just run carbon every now and then for the that and other reasons. I think the positives out way the negatives and people are having success with them.

Thanks for your input guys!

Darienreefs7

Well it's been awhile CR but I haven't been giving my tanks very much attention the past few months. Lost a few things in the 125 and I want to take it down this weekend. Only problem is I have 150 lbs of rock that is covered in Zoas and algae. I'm starting to move fish into the 190. The 190 is such a great tank and so easy to clean because I have the rocks far away from the glass. If u could see from the pictures I had a few tunzes but I have since gotten rid of them for RW15s and will be adding 2 RW8s for the bottom. Skimmer is a beast and the media reactors are amazing, definitely recommend them. I have been trying to change up my lighting but can't find a way to hang up other lights. I will update pics later tonight. THANKS

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Darienreefs7

Some new pick ups and updated FTS

Don't mind the terrible looking algae everywhere. Got a big CUC working hard on it now!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk