Dino's and h2o2

Chetna

There are one million stories out there but they all seem a few years old. Does anyone have any local recent news using h2o2 on Dino's in a frag tank

DanSreef

Premium member
Yup... First hand knowledge... I have dosed and did not see measurable and sustainable improvement. If you think you have DINOs I would A) take a sample to someone with a microscope and have it looked at. If you have a lot of single cells swimming around,,,you have DINOs. If you have stationary single cells or strands....,you have diatoms or algae. B) if you have DINOs...I would look at other things to do over hydrogen peroxide. Some inverts do not do well with dosing hydrogen peroxide. A lot of folks have had other experience... But I would do a black out of 4-5 plus days, improving water quality, do not do water changes, improve water circulation....siphon out as much as you can without doing a large scale water change...

Please know...there are thousands of different types of DINOs.... There are a few when they get out of whack...can cause all sorts of issues in a tank system. I have been battling them for a very long time. The type I have is extremely virulent and hardy. My type also thrived in very low nutrients..and was not affected by long periods of blackouts, hydrogen peroxide, I used DINOX....I raised PH...I did everything you can think of. I then did the dirty method...of taking my skimmer and all other filtration off line and allowed nitrates and phosphates to rise... I added phyto and photo plankton and all sorts of algaes... I then added large amounts of pods... After months of total frustration....I appear to be mostly clean of DINOs...but that could be only temporary. Knock on wood....

The first thing I would do.....take a sample of the material you think is DINOs and have it checked under a microscope. I ended up buying one off of amazon for $40. If it is DINOs....I wish you luck! Depending on the variety you have...I would start with blackout of 4-5 days ... No lighting or natural light in both tank and sump.

Chetna

Thanks for the very informative reply, it's a frag tank with quite a few frags in there so the no lights for 4-5 days might be a problem, water circ is killer and low nutrients. I will find out for sure if there Dino's or not as I am not 100% sure. Thanks again.