DIY Canopy's

Deezill

Premium member
Ok I am at work and bored. Let's see your DIY canopies. If you have them also Let me know what tools you used specifically the saw type. I am going to DIY me a canopy.
and I need ideas. Thanks.

dvanlier05

Mine is floating. Made frame with 2X6 and skinned with 1/4" birch ply. I mounted a 2x6 to the wall and attached the frame with door hinges. Chains and J hooks for added support. Small hole allows wires to travel through the wall and down into the stand. Holds 4-48" T5 single bulb lights, 2 XR15'S, and 1 XR30.

20200122_143836.jpg

20200122_143738.jpg

20200122_145917.jpg

I don't have this tank/canopy anymore. It was built using cheap pine, cut using a miter saw. My dad used to work in a steel mill so he got me some thin aluminum that I was able to mount my old lights into. Used decorative trim to keep the canopy from moving.

Attachments

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I had a dude make mine, but it’s not store bought. Made from walnut plywood and edges with walnut hardwood. You could easily do the same with iron on edging. I’ll likely do something similar myself on my next build. The flip up front with the gas pistons are a real life savor.

Deezill

Premium member
simply gorgeous. Keep them coming I am getting a lot of inspiration. I called Aquarium Adventure where I got my tank and they told me 700 dollars for a canopy. I told them to have a great day. I'll do it myself.