DIY Heater

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
My spare heater crapped out on me..

How do you heat WC water without a heater??

This is how. Home Depot light, bucket, and a piece of glass haha.

...I'm buying a new heater tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrpark22000

Premium member
I've never heated WC water either. My tank temp drop 1.5deg at most even with a 25% WC in the depth of winter.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Good to know.

Thanks everyone. This was fresh from the Rodi unit at at a solid 58 degrees so I was worried that the cold water blowing on my SPS would do them harm.

I just let it sit over night to at least get to room temperature.

madjoe

Premium member
Good to know.

Thanks everyone. This was fresh from the Rodi unit at at a solid 58 degrees so I was worried that the cold water blowing on my SPS would do them harm.

I just let it sit over night to at least get to room temperature.
What i do is just ryn a pump to mix the salt over night that gets temperature up ive never had any issues 58 is cold though so definitely get to room temp

Paulip

I wonder if an immersion heater, like they sell on Amazon, is reef safe. Some are coated with Aluminum. Attached is the top selling nickel plated brass unit. These things work fast. You have to hang it over a pipe or else it could melt your bucket.

Over time, the metal coating has been known to come off. However, our use is not that intense since we are not boiling the water. Unless of course, your heating a hundred gallons or so.

View attachment 15693

Last edited:

jrpark22000

Premium member
I wonder if an immersion heater, like they sell on Amazon, is reef safe. Some are coated with Aluminum. Attached is the top selling nickel plated brass unit. These things work fast. You have to hang it over a pipe or else it could melt your bucket.
Over time, the metal coating has been known to come off. However, our use is not that intense since we are not boiling the water. Unless of course, your heating a hundred gallons or so.
View attachment 15693
I wonder if there's any trace copper in them.