Doser Doser what doser

tinman

So i am going to ditch my magic marine Doser and go with something better ..

i know lot of you guys had done enough reasearch and know all different kinds, pros and cons of dosers that are available in the market today.

i will research some today, but why not a thread and get some insight into what you guys already know ( well this is kind of research too )

tinman

Will follow
Looking at the brs dosers. But a unit with 3 or 4 pumps together seems best.
BRS dosers are good .. but at 80 bucks each and then you need some way to control it ( timer or controller) so just to dose 2 you would shell out $160 and then they are not going to work on their own ..

but i think they are very consistent and longlasting..

msujohn

I'm in the market for a doser as well. I'm looking for one to handle 3 or 4 pumps. I looked at the BRS dosers (but don't have a way to control them) and would need a digital timer - ruled these out. The other two that I am looking into are either the bubble magus or the Jaebo DC4 (but it needs to be the generation 2). I'll be following along to see what everybody recommends.

tinman

I'm in the market for a doser as well. I'm looking for one to handle 3 or 4 pumps. I looked at the BRS dosers (but don't have a way to control them) and would need a digital timer - ruled these out. The other two that I am looking into are either the bubble magus or the Jaebo DC4 (but it needs to be the generation 2). I'll be following along to see what everybody recommends.
whats special about gen 2 Jebo dosers ?

MMreef

why ??

Damn GHL are expensive ..
You get what you pay for...., we in this hobby spend so much $$$, why save on cheap equipment? ??? You buy multihundred dollars tiny chalice frags, but skimp on quality stuff?

MMreef

I hope you don't take offense to it, i did not mean it this way, but i just don't understand some people running their reef tanks with thousands in coral and fish invested and trying to penny pinch on equipment. There are most of people that are in this hobby on budget and for the pleasure of it , and buying lesser quality and cheaper equipment is understandable ,but some more hardcore, expierenced aquarists spending much more then average, why get cheap and replace it soon after ?

MMreef

GHL 2 4 head cost $459, that's about $115 a head fully controllable, i would take this any day over BRS dosers at $80 each with no control

tinman

You get what you pay for...., we in this hobby spend so much $$$, why save on cheap equipment? ??? You buy multihundred dollars tiny chalice frags, but skimp on quality stuff?
Hmmm true, but at the same time GHL dosers i think are not just pricey cause of the superior motors or pumps but major cost is for the added incentives bells and whistles which i may never use.

i have to read up between stepper motors and peristalic pumps ..

what do you think of bubble magus ? im thinking of that one but it seems they are same technology as marine magic and jebao ones ? just superior quality ?

damn soo much to read up

MMreef

Hmmm true, but at the same time GHL dosers i think are not just pricey cause of the superior motors or pumps but major cost is for the added incentives bells and whistles which i may never use.

i have to read up between stepper motors and peristalic pumps ..

what do you think of bubble magus ? im thinking of that one but it seems they are same technology as marine magic and jebao ones ? just superior quality ?

damn soo much to read up
You are right, GHL has a lot more to offer and that's one of the reasons it cost more. But it will last you a lot longer, as you already said that you need to replace your doser now, so it is costing you more now anyway. As to your question about bubble magus i have no experience with it at all, sorry.

ColaAddict

I have the Fauna Marine doser, which is the same as the GHL doser. I've had it for 5+ yrs and still going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkullV

Bubble magus doser sucks, no calibration. Might as well get a Jebao at that point. Both rely on friction to drive the rollers rather than gears. I recently added a jebao doser and I'm not happy with it for several reasons, but the most important is that the rollers do not adequately hold the siphon.

madjoe

Premium member
Bubble magus doser sucks, no calibration. Might as well get a Jebao at that point. Both rely on friction to drive the rollers rather than gears. I recently added a jebao doser and I'm not happy with it for several reasons, but the most important is that the rollers do not adequately hold the siphon.
Agree again i used one and never dised sane amount and coludnt calibrate that why i ended up with brs then ended up buying reef keeper to contril it was worth the money for reef keeper besides a buddy gave me dosers so i got off cheap

tinman

I hope you don't take offense to it, i did not mean it this way, but i just don't understand some people running their reef tanks with thousands in coral and fish invested and trying to penny pinch on equipment. There are most of people that are in this hobby on budget and for the pleasure of it , and buying lesser quality and cheaper equipment is understandable ,but some more hardcore, expierenced aquarists spending much more then average, why get cheap and replace it soon after ?
haha i missed this post. no i didnt take any offense at all ..
what you said is absolutely true when i think of it that way .. i dont essentially penny pinch on the equipment either, when i can get away with a sca skimmer which does a good job i dont see a need for a royal king ( or what ever that skimmer is ), when i can get one with some good leds i dont see a need for radions ( indeed now that i have them i ofcourse enjoy all the bells and whistles ) which is exactly the same way with the doser .. had i known there will be these issues with my current doser i would have never bought it .. so wouldnt anyone ..

GHL doser ( yes im looking at them now) i say its expensive cause it more than what i want .. i will be using 2 pumps out of 4 and would never be using all the bells and whistles it comes with which i think is one of the main reasons for its cost as i mentioned in my earlier post

so in effect i would pay $450 something for the doser but use $225 worth of pumps and take away those wifi and additional ports and all id be using somewhere around the value of $130 or so .. i just have about $300 sitting under my tank not being used :) hence the looking out for cheaper alternatives.

like someone said i always see it be it in reefing world or anything .. " Price is only an Issue in the Absence of Value"

a $500 frag of a rianbow chalice on the other hand provides me with wow factor everytime i look at it and keeps it interesting and im 98% sure i wont kill it.

sorry for the long post but i hope it explains :)

Last edited:

tinman

Agree again i used one and never dised sane amount and coludnt calibrate that why i ended up with brs then ended up buying reef keeper to contril it was worth the money for reef keeper besides a buddy gave me dosers so i got off cheap
yup exactly why im thinking of moving away from that method of dosing ..