Dosing pump

98silverado

Okay so I have been thinking about adding a dosing pump onto my tank. I just want to know if I put it under my stand will it be okay with pushing the fluid up about 3 foot or so? I really don't have the ability to put it above the tank unfortunately. Let me know input and thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

That's not a problem for most Dosers. A basic like BRS or Drews has something like a 20ft head height. I have used both in the past and they were perfectly flawless.

maidia

Team CR
If you have sump then no problem but the doser can put up more than 5 feet. I put my doser 4 feet above the container.

98silverado

Yeah ill be the dosing pump right above the holding bottles. But it will go from there out of my stand and then into the filtration section of my tank.

sk8elenex92

Premium member
I've looked into them before and read horror stories of them getting stuck in the on position and dumping the whole container in. I think it's one piece of equipment I wouldn't skimp on. A lot of people do use them though and seem happy when they work.

98silverado

I've looked into them before and read horror stories of them getting stuck in the on position and dumping the whole container in. I think it's one piece of equipment I wouldn't skimp on. A lot of people do use them though and seem happy when they work.
Thank you for that. Now back to the drawing board on what brand. I really only need 2 pumps

msujohn

What doser are you using?

sk8elenex92

Premium member
My hands. Hah. I dose kalkwasser using my reef keeper. But I just adjust my alk when needed. Eventually I will get a dosing unit when the kalk can no longer keep up with the demand.

Chetna

Get two brs pumps, fairly cheap and mine are going strong after a year. I have used other cheap pumps only to last months, but if you don't clean them or make sure the tubing is always on correct all of them will burn out fairly quick

Spartanman22

If you only need two pumps get the DOS (if you have an Apex). I am finally due to receive the GHL Doser 2 that I ordered on Black Friday. I've read very good things about them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

98silverado

If you only need two pumps get the DOS (if you have an Apex). I am finally due to receive the GHL Doser 2 that I ordered on Black Friday. I've read very good things about them.

I looked at that too. Just so much. I might just continue to use my hand dosing lol

Spartanman22

Ya it isn't cheap, but like others have said this is something that could potentially crash a tank if it fails. So, it's one of those things I wouldn't skimp on. If you have a controller the BRS pumps work pretty well too. I'm using them currently on my 25 gallon system

98silverado

Yeah I got the apex so I was looking at some used brs ones but they are gone already unfortunately.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Yeah I got the apex so I was looking at some used brs ones but they are gone already unfortunately.

BRS is the way to go if you want a decent quality with a good price. I have mine hooked to my Apex and will be looking for one more soon.

One mistake not to make... When you set up a doser to the apex, only use the outlets #1 and #4 on the EB8 or buy an EB4 or 6 which have all outlets as the full on/off and not virtual (which sometimes keeps lower voltage running through them potentially keeping the dosers going).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98silverado

BRS is the way to go if you want a decent quality with a good price. I have mine hooked to my Apex and will be looking for one more soon.

One mistake not to make... When you set up a doser to the apex, only use the outlets #1 and #4 on the EB8 or buy an EB4 or 6 which have all outlets as the full on/off and not virtual (which sometimes keeps lower voltage running through them potentially keeping the dosers going).

Thank you for that info. I'll have to move everything around then once I get them.

Spartanman22

Well if you can wait till April I'll have 2 BRS pumps I won't be using anymore