Electric Consumption and Cost

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
How much is everyone paying in Electricity per month for their tank?

156g display, 40g sump, 60g frag tank, 10g fish AT, 30g coral QT

Coral and fish QT can and will be taken offline when not being used.

Total volume of main and frag tank: 256g
Total monthly cost: $62.27
Total annual cost: $747.29

QT tanks:
Total volume: 40g
Total monthly cost: $11.06
Total Annual cost: $132.72 but with how long I plan on running it, prob $64.80.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

#theMatrix

Im averaging an extra 60 dollars myself.
But compared to my neighbors I pay 120 more.
So double what my block uses

RuNvS

I Think that I am paying about $60 bucks extra a month as well between both my frag tank and display, Ive added a few things since i calculated that so probably closer to 70 a month now.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
I don't really want to know haha
I can attest to that.

I was approached by my fiance about the increase in our comed bill so I didn't have much of a choice.

My onky saving grace was the fact we had Xmas lights up too last month haha

carpetreef75

Premium member

QT tanks:

To much time on your hands LOL
Bryan

sk8elenex92

Premium member
I can attest to that.

I was approached by my fiance about the increase in our comed bill so I didn't have much of a choice.

My onky saving grace was the fact we had Xmas lights up too last month haha

LOL.. I just setup a frag tank and the first thing my wife said is, "OOOOHHH more fish crap plugged into outlets. Im going to kill you".. hahah

Ageno

Premium member
I have a Smart meter and enrolled in Comed's Real Time pricing program. I have saved a good chunk of change over the last few years. Save about 30$/month the program compared to flat rate metering /khw. Comed send monthly reports for my account. Food for thought. My monthly bill never goes over 120(even in the summer) and that's with three 250MH in approximately 1700sq house.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member

QT tanks:

To much time on your hands LOL
Bryan
Bahaha what can I say, work is very slow at the moment..

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
I have a Smart meter and enrolled in Comed's Real Time pricing program. I have saved a good chunk of change over the last few years. Save about 30$/month the program compared to flat rate metering /khw. Comed send monthly reports for my account. Food for thought. My monthly bill never goes over 120(even in the summer) and that's with three 250MH in approximately 1700sq house.
I'll look into this as I will run a majority of my load at night.

theqball

Do your heaters really run 18hrs/day? All year?

At most mine run 3-4hrs in the dead of winter.

Total monthly cost of our elec is around $140/mo and we have a 4,000 sqft house & 250g system. I would guess the tank is maybe at most 25-35% of the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goat585

Administrator
I have used the Comed real time pricing for 5 years. I have had a minimum of 1500 gallons of tanks running for that time. I have saved close to $1000 a year on average for my electricity. I have had one month ever that I paid about the same price as the flat rate. If you have a fish tank or use a good amount of power the real time pricing is the way to go.

100LL

I have used the Comed real time pricing for 5 years. I have had a minimum of 1500 gallons of tanks running for that time. I have saved close to $1000 a year on average for my electricity. I have had one month ever that I paid about the same price as the flat rate. If you have a fish tank or use a good amount of power the real time pricing is the way to go.
Wow, this seems like a great option if you’re ok running your tank lighting cycle overnight, but do you think it would still have an overall benefit with those of us running our reef lights in the daytime? I guess I’m wondering if there are other advantages I’m not comprehending. Maybe since our tanks are pulling power 24/7 the average has an overall lowering effect on the bill?

goat585

Administrator
Wow, this seems like a great option if you’re ok running your tank lighting cycle overnight, but do you think it would still have an overall benefit with those of us running our reef lights in the daytime? I guess I’m wondering if there are other advantages I’m not comprehending. Maybe since our tanks are pulling power 24/7 the average has an overall lowering effect on the bill?

for sure. the daytime prices are less than the flat rate prices. the only draw back is when their are peak demand periods like extreme heat or cold you may pay more than the flat rate price but it's just for a couple of hours. there's time at night my cost are 1 to 2 cents per kilowatt. it easily compensates for the few high hours. I don't even run lights on my tanks in my Clownfish hatchery so it's just pumps running and I save a ton of money. they run 24 hours a day.

Also in the middle of summer if the rates are high shut off you lights for a couple of hours it won't hurt your tank.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Do your heaters really run 18hrs/day? All year?

At most mine run 3-4hrs in the dead of winter.

Total monthly cost of our elec is around $140/mo and we have a 4,000 sqft house & 250g system. I would guess the tank is maybe at most 25-35% of the bill.

I think my current issue is that I don't have enough wattage to heat the tank adequately. Right now my heaters (as of the last 12 hours) have been on 89% of the time.

I'm increasing heat to the room via the furnace but may also need to get a larger heater in the tank.

Here is my logging for the heater outlets. Going to log in when I get home via local IP since it doesn't show me data after last night...

theqball

You might actually save money and live more comfortably by turning the heat up in your house.

Btw I only have 150w heater to