Enzo1028’s 120g Mixed Reef build

enzo1028

Premium member
I’m very excited about this one, this is working out to be my dream build.

For the past few months I’ve been busy putting the pieces together like a squirrel gathering a bunch of nuts. And now it is time to share my nuts with the community.

I purchased a brand new, never wet, Marineland 120g tank, stand, and TS Ruby 36 sump off one of the Facebook groups. I have had my eye on this volume and dimensions since I bought my house last year.

I decided to plumb it and get it wet this weekend. I already have about 100lbs of Tonga cycling with Dr Tims for around 2 months. I will use that rock along with some rock from my current 60g cube build.

I’m a sucker for SPS, Zoas, and nems. The tank will be heavy on those for the coral stock, but I am going to try and keep other stuff I don’t currently have much of(shrooms, encrusting montis, chalices, etc). Current fish wishlist/stock is as follows:

- 2 Clowns
- Midas Blenny
- Flameback Pygmy Angel
- Royal Gramma
- Longnose Hawkfish
- Randall’s Goby
- Purple Tang**
- Blotched Anthias**
- Blue Star Leopard Wrasse x 2**
- Another wrasse, maybe Mystery**

I’m currently thinking about using 2 Coral Plus bulbs, 1 Purple Plus bulb, and 1 Blue Plus bulb for the T5 fixture. I’m new to T5 so please share any suggestions you may have. The fixture will by suspended by the included hanging kit. I will be painting a 2x4 white and securing that to my ceiling studs, then securing the wire mounts into the 2x4.

Plumbing will be fairly simple, straight pipe with a union for the overflow drain. 45 degree angle couplings with a ball valve union for the return line. I’m using BRS’s red PVC along with their grey couplings/unions.

Here is the list of equipment going into this build:

- Marineland 120g (with stand)
- Trigger Systems Ruby 36 Sump
- Reef Octopus 225INT
- Aquatic Life 48” Hybrid T5
- 2 AI Hydra 26 HD’s
- Neptune Apex 2016
- Neptune COR 15
- Neptune DOS w/ Seachem 2 part**
- 2 Neptune WAV powerheads**

**= not purchased yet, let me know if you have anything for sale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

enzo1028

Premium member
Light is hung and I have begun filling it up with water. The tank was pretty dusty, the previous owner never set it up and it collected dust. I tried to clean it up with a wet papertowel but there was still a lot of dust. The plan is to fill the tank all the way and throw a filter sock in the sump and a powerhead in the display. Hopefully that will stir up the debris and it gets collected.

enzo1028

Premium member
Tank is full of RO. So far the plumbing is holding up alright. The drain is making some gurgling sounds so I may have to tweak that before I do anything else

enzo1028

Premium member
No pictures today. But my Neptune WAV’s came in. Man, those things can move some water!! I set them both on a constant 10% and the water was about to splash out of the tank. I’m assuming the flow will be much different when there is rock in the tank.

I’ve been mixing salt into the tank and I’m sitting at 1.025 now. I’m going to throw a heater in there this weekend and hopefully transfer all of my cycling rock. That rock may be cycled. I haven’t checked in a few weeks.

enzo1028

Premium member
Moved one of my containers of cycled rock over. I will move the other one soon and start the rockscape. I’m going to use a lot of Tonga for the base and framework of the scape. Then I’ll use shelf and pukani for surface area.

enzo1028

Premium member
Test run of my rock scape. The left mountain is pretty much how I want it. The frame is all Tonga so the structure is relatively hollow with lots of hiding spots. I will glue some of the smaller shelves down as well as add some rocks from my current tank towards the bottom of the structure. This structure will be dominantly SPS.

The right structure will be built up much more with rock from my current tank. This side will be dominantly nems and zoas. I am probably going to make a bridge from the left structure to the right structure with that big piece of Tonga on the right side of the left structure

I might do some small rocks on the sand bed in front of these structures with encrusting montis, favias, or other fast growing corals just to keep them isolated.

Joevember

Great looking scape, like the branches. I should probably plan out my next scape like that. Planning ahead always helps!

enzo1028

Premium member
Great looking scape, like the branches. I should probably plan out my next scape like that. Planning ahead always helps!
Trial and error my friend!

I did a pretty cool vertical structure in my 60 gallon cube but there was too much shadowing. This setup seems like it will be great because it provides lots of unshaded surface area but the hollow structures allow for the fish to swim and hide easily and will hopefully prevent deadspots

enzo1028

Premium member
I changed out some of the bulbs. I’m now running 2 Blue+ & 2 Coral+. I’ll probably be dropping the Hydras in there and moving everything next weekend

enzo1028

Premium member
It’s been an eventful weekend. I started transferring everything Friday around 6pm. Finished Saturday around 10pm.

But everything has been moved including fish. So far everything looks a little stressed but not dying. I have full PE extension on acros, zoas are open, nems open. I think I may be in the clear.

I ordered a Hydra 26 through a local shop and they dropped the ball on getting it in by this weekend. I only have one Hyrdra in the hybrid fixture but I placed an order for a second one from a different source. Should be here by Tuesday/Wednesday.

enzo1028

Premium member

Ashamed to admit this, but first time doing a proper QT. Can’t wait until this one is done to add it to the display

enzo1028

Premium member
Here is my current stock list:

* 2 clowns
* Flasher Wrasse
* Blue Sided Fairy Wrasse
* Leopard Wrasse
* Midas Blenny
* Royal Gramma
* Randalls Goby
* Watchmen Goby
* Flameback Pygmy Angel
* Longnose Hawkfish
* Purple Tang (in QT)

Thoughts? I'd like more fish to fill the empty parts of the water column. I was thinking a borb or some other type of anthias. Any suggestions? I may already be pushing my limit lol

enzo1028

Premium member
Shitty picture of my new Black Widow nem. Thanks to [MENTION=3688]Illinijoe[/MENTION] for the great deal. The picture does no justice at all, this thing looks awesome!