Faisal's 60G Cube

faisal629

Hello fellow reefers!

Finally got the time to start posting!
I took a break from reefing to get settled in life. Now I'm married and the wife actually "suggested" we start a tank

We both are pretty picky about how things are arranged in our living room....it was a must that the tank not only fit but flow with the room and decor and not look bad..being in an apartment and lacking too much extra space I decided to go with a 60G rimless cube...I bought it off Craigslist from a local Reefer who had it running for 3 months then switched to a shallower tank since he couldn't reach the bottom...so I got lucky with a pretty much brand new rimless cube with stand! I also found a sump from a local Reefer! I'm sorry I can't mention many of them by name since I have lost track of who I met when..

Tank:
Rimless 60G 2'x2'x2' RR Cube (used for 3 months)

Sump:
Simplicity 75SS Deluxe Reef Sump

Fuge:
5G container (rodi water jug)

Return Pump:
Reef Octopus Diablo Variable Speed Water Pump DC-5500 (old but never used)

Lightning:
Ecotech Radion XR30W Gen 3

Powerheads:
MP-40W ES
MP-10W ES

Skimmer:
Super Reef Octopus 1000SSS (Ryan C.)

Bio-Filtration:
30 Lbs. Dry Rock (aquapros)
20 Lbs. Live Rock (rockhead)

MarinePure block (needed to raise skimmer 4", couldn't of think if a better alternative)

MarinePure balls
Seachem pond matrix (some I had from a previous tank)

Additional equipment:
Apex Gold
WXM
AFS
Finnex Titanium 300W Heater
13W UV Sterilizer
BRS Dual Reactor

5G ATO Reservoir (rodi water jug)

I'll update this post and add pictures tomorrow!

Last edited:

faisal629

I'll keep this post for keeping track of events and dates.

01/20/2017 - Tank went online

02/17/2017 - ammonia and nitrite at 0PPM after 24 hrs from 2-3PPM (used Dr. Tims ammonia daily)

02/25/2017 - Added 2 purple fire fish (Beavis & Butthead), 2 Bengai Cardinals (Bonnie & Clyde), 1 Midas Blenny (Lemon), 1 Blood Red Fire Shrimp (Cheeto)

02/26/2017 - Added BTA (small 3"-4")

03/09/2017 - Added designer clown pair (Mr. & Mrs. Smith)

03/18/2017 - Added Ultra-BTA

03/19/2017 - Added 2 peppermint shrimp (moved to fuge 3/31/17)

03/24/2017 - Added Blue Hippo Tang & his name is Stitch! (gotta duck from the tang police now)

I tried and failed twice with a flame angle, it would not survive shipping both time, first time came dead second time was dead the next morning (RIP Tandoor)...but I feel I have enough life stock for now so might do without Tandoor.

I know it looks fast but half the rock was live and I dosed ammonia as it was needed while testing to keep ammonia at 2PPM-4PPM and was only satisfied when ammonia and nitrite were down to 0PPM after a day.

All fish and coral are live and happy

Last edited:

faisal629

Tank came with drain/return for soft plumbing, I decided to go with hard plumbing so made my own drain & return..

Here is the plumbing all done with under the tank...

Here is the electronics wall..

I tested for leaks, and had the entire system rinsed with fresh water and vinegar.

Here she is filling up..

And finally there was light..

Here a video of the initial rockwork (changed a little bit over time)

Im having issues embedding the actual video but you can see it on youtube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

faisal629

I had really bad GHA issues in the starting, this is at one of its peak...

[video=youtube;eVPJYl61AmY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVPJYl61AmY[/video]

Took Phosphate RX/ water changes/ and a lot of scrubbing to get past it!

Last edited:

Monti1

Nice looking setup. I'm picking up the same tank this weekend.

faisal629

I ordered some TLF NPX biopellets to replace my 5G sump...the sump is taking up too much room under the tank and is growing all kinds of slime inside of it..

[video=youtube;Z7tFBJySVd0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7tFBJySVd0&t=3s[/video]
I would love to hear from people how they started using biopellets, I want to use 1/4 the recommended dose and add up another 1/4 dose after a week, and keep it at that and add more as needed....? I would realistically have them up and running when my tank turns 12 weeks

Last edited:

Bommie

Tank came with drain/return for soft plumbing, I decided to go with hard plumbing so made my own drain & return..

Here is the plumbing all done with under the tank...

Here is the electronics wall..

I tested for leaks, and had the entire system rinsed with fresh water and vinegar.

Here she is filling up..

And finally there was light..

Here a video of the initial rockwork (changed a little bit over time)

Im having issues embedding the actual video but you can see it on youtube.

Good thing you changed that plumbing. That barb fitting on that bulkhead looks like a huge flow restrictor.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

faisal629

I made a quick walkaround video, the tank has been running for 4 months now! I am very pleased with the growth and colors of almost all corals!!
I have removed the fuge about 5-6 weeks back and started biopellets and very happy with the results (95% of my algae issues are gone).
I feed heavily! wet & dry food 2-3 x day and target feed corals a blended paste 2-3 x a week(when I cant target feed ill filter feed).
I dose Reef Solution daily at 50% recommended and top off with kalk, no other dosing of any sort.
Roughly ~20 gallon water change bi-weekly, i use reef crystals (I try to stay on top of this).
I got the CR par meter rental and adjusted my lighting. I have been slowly increasing 5% weekly, I think i will reach my target (65-70%) in a week more.
added +10 lbs of dry rock, 4"-5" Maxima Clam, 2 pom pom crabs (Humpty & Dumpty- you can thank the wife for the creative names :) ) and a bunch of coral from my last post!
Enjoy!

[video=youtube;xwSCsVH3ZRI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwSCsVH3ZRI[/video]

Last edited: