Fatman's 20 Long Reef

Fatman

@Scotty:
Yep, my mistake. The 1 I have is just an RO unit. Plan on adding a DI canister to it in the near future. Just gotta save up for it.
Right now the tank looks the same.... but with water in it lol. Planning on checking a couple places for good LR at a good price this week. Just gotta find the time.

@mlreef:
Actually put up a list just a few post ago. Pretty much got the stocking list for my fish and CUC set. For the corals though, I'm not really sure exactly what I want, but I've got a decent baseline to go by. Still brand new to both SW and Reef tanks so I'm still trying to learn whats what, and what can go in my tank.

Really hoping to hit up Aquapros today. Hoping I can find some time between 1 job and the next.

Fatman

Got the skimmer in the mail today. It is a Red Sea Prizm HOB skimmer. I paid $35 to have my buddy ship it from Canada thinking that I was just borrowing it. Turns out he's actually just giving it to me. :D

Going to get it put on the tank tonight. Then I'm hoping to pick up at least some LR tomorrow.

Fatman

Picked up some LR from Aquapros today so I was finally able to get the tank laid out. Here's some pics.
The Live Rock

Right after placing the rock.... still cloudy.
FTS

Left

Right

From Top

Smitty

Premium member
You picked out some nice pieces....I also liked how you stacked them, with lots of little nooks and crannies and caves for the fish to hide.

Fatman

Picked up the beginning of my clean up crew today. Ended up getting an Emerald Crab, Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp and Turban Snail. From the last pics, I've added in a couple more pounds of base rock, about a pound of LR rubble and moved things around a bit. I don't plan on messing with the rock work anymore though.

FTS

Left

Center

Right

With the blue LED I'm trying out. Thinking of wiring up just 2 or 3 small LEDs for moonlights.

The CUC

Fatman

Thanks Scott!
So I went to Aquapros and picked up the rest of my CUC today. And of course new inhabitants means more pictures lol.

Some different FTS... which one do you think looks best?

Left

Center

Right

Today I picked up 2 Electric Blue Hermits and 1 more Turban Snail.
Since the snail isn't anything new I just took pics of the hermits.

And the other thing I picked up today...
A Clove Polyp frag (I know its not exactly rare, but I'm excited).
Bad pic, but I guess this would be them "hiding" lol.

After about 30 minutes in the tank they came back out.

Fatman

Picked up some frags from Aquapros yesterday. Got green mushrooms, red mushrooms, ricordea and red zoas. I'll try to post some pics soon.

I'm using 2 marina blue LED lights that were in a random box of fish stuff that I bought. I'm using them for "moonlights". Not sure what wavelength of light they put out (need to email them), but they actually make the greens and oranges glow at night. Maybe I'll be able to get some pics under the moonlights.
I also added a LED fixture to this tank as well. Not sure if the white LEDs are putting off usable light, but I like the shimmer it gives the tank. Still waiting to hear back from the manufacture on what wave lengths of light it is putting out.

Fatman

Picked up some frags from Aquapros yesterday. Got green mushrooms, red mushrooms, ricordea and red zoas. I'll try to post some pics soon.

Added to the lighting a bit...
I bought a box of mostly slightly used fish "supplies" from a garage sale for dirt cheap. In it I found 2 Marina blue LEDs (6watts each) along with a hub (to hook up a total of 3 of them). I also found a LED fixture made by Marineland, I just don't know exactly what fixture it is. It has 45 LEDs (42 white, 3 blue) and looks really nice. I am waiting to hear back from Marineland on what product it is and what wavelengths of light it gives off.
So right now I am running my HO T5s and the LEDs during the day and the blue LEDs for moonlights (marinas and the fixture). I love the shimmer from the LEDS during the day, but the really cool thing is that the blue LEDs (mostly the Marinas) make the corals glow at night (especially green and orange). Was not expecting this from cheapo LEDs lol. Figured I was going to have to buy some expensive royal blues to get that effect. Hopefully the news from Marineland will be that the white LEDs put out light that is actually useful to my corals.... Hmm... while I'm at it, I'll probably shoot Marina an email asking what wavelengths their blue LEDs put out too.

FishBeard

That marineland fixture sounds like the single bright, but system is supposed to have 51 white 3 blue (on the 24" model), any chance you miscounted? Hoestly if its the single bright, its good for like a fish only tank, dont expect much of any growth out of it.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=22442

BTW, if it is the single bright, and will fit a 30" wide, my bro-in-law would be interested in it for the right price. He has a crappy single t8 on his tank right now.

Fatman

Wasn't going to add anything to the tank this week, but them I made the mistake of checking out the pics on Aquapros's FB page lol.
Picked up some different colored Zoas and a different colored Clove frag. These pics are shortly after placing them so nothing is really out. Hopefully they'll pop out before lights out and I'll take more pics. The mushrooms and the first clove frag seem to enjoy their current locations so they are super glued in place. Same with the Zoas on the rock bridging the 2 rock piles. The others I've either glued to rubble or kept on the frag plugs. Still working on exactly where I want them (any suggestions?).

FTS

Left

Center

Right

Random

Besides letting me know what fixture I have Marineland wasn't much help. Tried rephrasing my question, but haven't heard back from them since last week. Keep on forgetting to ask Marina.... so I'll do that now lol.

WeePee

be careful not to be moving too fast with the coral additions, but looks great so far.
and IMO (feel free to ignore), but get rid of the little arch between rock piles. it just looks out of place

Fatman

Been keeping a pretty close eye on the parameters (test strips every day, liquid test twice a week). So far so good. I'm also using Stability, but I'm more just testing it out than really relying on it. That said, I do plan on waiting before adding anything else to this tank.

Personally I like the rock spanning the gap, but I agree that it looks out of place. Going to have to figure something out to make it looks like it belongs there.

scotty

it's fine as long as hes got the T5's which he does, all hes got it on there for is some coloration and the shimmer, but that's obvious on this end.

moving fast and slow with frags is relative, people that know a lot more than i do over on nano-reef.com put dozens of frags at once into some amazing tank turnouts, but again they're awesome at this.