Funlad3's 24G JBJ Nano

Funlad3

Aquashella is going to be amazing; I took home a handful of frags from some colonies I picked out for my friend to sell in his store booth. Gotta love picking your own pieces... :)

Rainbow Shortcake:

Actual Shortcake:

This one is going to be a stunner. Probably my favorite acro in the tank so far. Stay tuned:

This is a frag of one of my favorite species of coral, Acropora albroides. It gets awesome furry polyp extension and red tips over an army green base color:

And this one should be special if I can pull the colors I think I see... :)

I'm super excited to work out a frag pack with the incredibly friendly Brandon from Fraghouse Corals. The acros in his frag tank are by far the nicest and most colored up I've ever seen. I can't wait to bring home way more than I should.

Funlad3

I got a ton of named acros at Aquashella last weekend. A friend (@kerber12) and I split what came to 16 different pieces, and I finally got my half glued to the rockwork. Now I just need them to grow so I can get him his half of the pack and vice-versa! Here's the new stuff that's currently in my tank:

The lineup:
Tyree Joe Knows Reef Rainbow Acro
Fraghouse Corals Hawaiian Eruption
ORA Pearlberry
Jason Fox Burning Banana Acro
Fraghouse Coral Jaw Jacker
Reef Raft Pink Floyd
Two Guys Corals Pinkalicious
Rocky Mountain Frags Psychoberry

Tyree Joe Knows Reef Rainbow Acro

Fraghouse Corals Hawaiian Eruption

ORA Pearlberry

Jason Fox Burning Banana Acro

Fraghouse Corals Jaw Jacker

Reef Raft Pink Floyd

Two Guys Corals Pinkalicious

Rocky Mountain Frags Psychoberry

Funlad3

My dosing is a variant of the Balling method. I test once a week and dose so that my tank's calcium and alkalinity are always (ideally) 450ppm and 10dkh. I dose as much Calcium chloride and Sodium carbonate as I need to not only bring my water back to my ideal values, but also to match my tank's weekly consumption.

For example, I just tested my alkalinity, and it read at 7.4dkh. This means that my tank's apparent consumption was 2.6dkh. But I also know that over the past week, I've been dosing 7.35dkh to keep up with prior consumption. So I have to add that apparent 2.6dkh of consumption to the alkalinity I was already adding (7.35dkh) for a total weekly consumption of 9.95dkh. I then add that to the original amount of alkalinity that I need to dose to bring it back to 10 dkh for a total weekly dosing value of 12.55dkh.

It might make more sense like this.

Dosing = Return to Ideal Value + Weekly Consumption
Return to Ideal Value = Ideal Value - Test Value
Weekly Consumption = Prior Weekly Consumption + Return to Ideal Value

Using my numbers from this week for Alkalinity, the equations would solve like this:

Return to Ideal Value = Ideal Value (10) - Test Value (7.4) = 2.6
Weekly Consumption = Prior Weekly Consumption (7.35) + Return to Ideal Value (2.6) = 9.95
Dosing = Return to Ideal Value (2.6) + Weekly Consumption (9.95) = 12.55

I've compiled all of this into an overly complicated spreadsheet that does everything for me and controls for time between tests and other fancy nonsense, but the basic idea is that the water should always be sitting at its ideal parameters. Every time I test it and the calcium or alkalinity are too low, it's because coral growth has increased since the last week. Over the past month, I've had my calcium consumption more than double and my alkalinity consumption more than quadruple. The tank is consuming 120ppm of calcium per week and 9.95dkh of alkalinity per week, so if I were to stop dosing for even a few days, the corals would deplete the water of the minerals that they need and everything would crash.

In other words, I'm very happy with my growth.

Funlad3

I was going to take more pictures, but the battery died. I might take more later, but until then, here are a few that turned out.

Funlad3

First off, huge thanks to [MENTION=2509]rockhead[/MENTION] for some awesome frags. I have a third frag (WWC Black Widow) in [MENTION=1075]kerber13[/MENTION] 's tank.

No name:

WWC Hippy Juice:

I also got some new pictures under blues only and a few growth shots to boot. I can't get reds, pinks, or oranges to show properly with this new white balance setting, but everything else looks good.

This piece hasn't grown at all since addition, but it's still looking great.

FHC Hawaiian Eruption:

Reef Raft Pink Floyd (13 days growth/color)

RMF Psychoberry (13 days growth/color)

Acropora suharsoni (28 days growth/color)

Acropora sp. (28 days growth/color)

Tyree JKR Rainbow (13 days growth/color)

JF Burning Banana Acro (13 days growth/color)

Funlad3

Fun fact: if you throw huge chunks of superglue into your overflow, they'll clog your drains and your tank will flood at 8AM on a Saturday. Oops

Funlad3

I broke out the dive case for my camera and took some shots. I really need to remind myself to stop shooting at the max ISO so that the next batch of photos aren't so grainy. Overall, these pictures turned out okay and I can't wait to do this again. :)

A new frag of MattV Rainbow Envy:

My A. suharsoni, which has the craziest polyps. :)

RMF Psychoberry:

WCR Rainbow Acro (which I've been after for five years; I'm THRILLED to finally get it!)

JF Burning Banana Acro:

My green/yellow A. tenuis:

A new Anacropora:

Purple Tipped Shortcake:

This is a new Aussie Bonsai that I got to cherry pick. It's pretty bleached out and already stands out:

Random acro from a local breaking Down his tank down:

A SUPER bleached acro that I cherry picked. The entire 8" colony was RTNing and crazy stressed, so I cut it into 25 pieces at my friend's store. I got the whole thing just for the blue polyps:

FHC Hawaiian Eruption

Funlad3

This picture deserves its own post; this is the main upper rock structure of the tank (about 60% of the corals). The colors are all almost perfectly accurate in the center, but they start looking more and more metallic towards the edges for some reason. I guess I need to keep playing. :)

Funlad3

[MENTION=1075]kerber13[/MENTION] and I split a monster pack from Vivid Aquariums this week. I'll put up some pictures of the half that I'm going to keep once we split everything up later this weekend. Until then, here's a picture of my Acropora suharsoni. :)

Sawdonkey

Premium member
[MENTION=1075]kerber13[/MENTION] and I split a monster pack from Vivid Aquariums this week. I'll put up some pictures of the half that I'm going to keep once we split everything up later this weekend. Until then, here's a picture of my Acropora suharsoni. :)

Is that middle-of-the-night PE? Wow!

ultimatemj

Curious where you found the WCR Rainbow and JF Burning bananna acro...feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it :)

Funlad3

Curious where you found the WCR Rainbow and JF Burning bananna acro...feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it :)
WCR rainbow was from Sonny and the Burning Banana was from Fraghouse Corals. I'm sure you can get the WCR this weekend at the swap, but the Burning Banana might be a bit tougher to find. Once Erik gets his piece, you can be first in line for the next one. ;)

Funlad3

I got out of work on time tonight, so I just had to take some pictures of the nano. As usual, I rushed through and didn't adjust my settings properly (why do I always shoot at max ISO???), but a few pictures turned out okay. Here's what caught my eye tonight...

Rainbow encrusting on my A. abrotanoides:

I finally have an ORA Pearlberry that doesn't have the active desire to die:

My bright green acro is starting to grow after months of doing nothing:

WCR Rainbow Acro

RMF Psychoberry:

A wild piece doing exactly what I hoped it would do:

Pink Floyd: