goby vs wrasse

fishyfish22

Premium member
so in my 125 gallon i have noticed an amphipods infestation, they appeared to have teamed up with my out of control astrea starfish and have started a war against my zoas. they appear to be winning. i plan on ordering a harlequin from reefs2go for the starfish and depending on what people say here either 3-4 yellow clown gobies or a sixline wrasse. both are pretty cool fish, but i prefer the gobies over the sixline due to the sixline getting aggressive later on. the only doubt i have is whether the gobies will actually eat the amphipods. anyone have one that eats the amphipods? will they stay in groups or separate into different areas of the tank?

saltymike

Good luck with what you choose. I seem to have the same problem. It don't seem like my six line eats anything except for what I feed it. I used to have a goby but it kicked up too much sand for me.

tinman

i thin mandarin goby does eat pods :)

where are you from by the way ?? i mean where in chicago ?

helitaiwan963

+1 for Dre's Suggestion. The Melanarus is awesome to watch them hunt, and they add nice color to the tank... The only thing i hate about mine is it likes to dig in the sand...

fishyfish22

Premium member
no melanarus wrasse are available at liveaquaria or at reefs2go. if there were, i might try it. it looks pretty cool and from what i've read it will eat amphipods, but for the moment hoping to stick to either clown gobies or six line wrasse.

FishBeard

Everyone with a 75+ should have a melanurus, they are beautiful and so very personable. Most are even usually fairly brave and will feed from your hand.

helitaiwan963

no melanarus wrasse are available at liveaquaria or at reefs2go. if there were, i might try it. it looks pretty cool and from what i've read it will eat amphipods, but for the moment hoping to stick to either clown gobies or six line wrasse.
Any reason why you're looking to stick with those 2 websites? Those are both are TINY fish in your 125g imo... lol. Sixline is nice too. mine eats like a pig and gets along peacefully with my other fish. It occasionally just dukes it out with his own reflection in the glass... lol

Everyone with a 75+ should have a melanurus, they are beautiful and so very personable. Most are even usually fairly brave and will feed from your hand.
+1 mines only been in my tank like 2 weeks and it swims right up to my turkey baster when i feed.

fishyfish22

Premium member
my father really dislikes liveaquaria(i have nothing against it) and he's the one with the creding card so i can't argue. there are some other things we're planning to get from reefs2go along with the harlequin and we don't want to save money on shipping so we plan on buying what we need all at once. they are fairly small fish, but we need some smaller perching fish like the clown gobies.

helitaiwan963

interesting. Should be fun to watch. 6line is one of the favorite fish in my tank. I wish i had more wrasses. they're all so colorful