Has anyone run an LPS/NPS tank on the same system as SPS?

I know it's kind of a weird question, but it's what we are trying right now. My son has over run my SPS tank with LPS and NPS corals so we got him his own tank. They will be tied into the same sump. One will obviously be very well fed, the other fed enough to keep the fish happy. I am debating on having his drain go straight into the return section on the sump and refed back into his tank and to the SPS tank. To give some details since the question is vague.

80g SPS
30g LPS
150g sump
Vertex 170 skimmer
20g heavily stock Macro tank
40g Chaeto fuge

Even with 4 heavy feedings a day nutrients all read zero, with Nitrates showing 5 at times, so polluting the tank is not my concern. My real question is where to have his tank drain. I liked the idea of recycling the food from his tank back to both tanks , I just don't know if it would be better than draining both into the skimmer section, any thoughts?

anarchy

I would personally recycle the food through both tanks. Just keeps everything well fed and doesnt waste food/money

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Irsug1

Premium member
I would think inherently you would be increasing nutrients to the sps tank so it would be better to have the sump filtration work for you. IMO

I would think inherently you would be increasing nutrients to the sps tank so it would be better to have the sump filtration work for you. IMO
It actually would, but it would get a once through on the SPS side. Its only a 30g tank that would be the nutrient sink in the system.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
I have a 120 SPS tank that is plumbed with a 60 gallon shallow LPS tank on opposite light cycles. I don't feed the LPS tank as much as I used to but everyone seems happy.

As for where to have the tank drain, I'd have them both hit the sump and have a "Y" back to the displays. Seems to work well so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I finally hooked them both up. I have a manifold coming off the return pump so there was no need to Y anything to tie this in. For anybody that has questioned the Ecotech L1, it is now running two tanks upstairs and two fuges in the basement. These pumps are animals.