Hello

Cowfish

Hi,
I’m new here, but have had tanks for years. I’m finally going big; a 440 gallon display with about a 100 gallon sump. I intend to startup FOWLR, but transition to full reef eventually. I’d appreciate any tips or advice. Thanks. Glad to be here.

Fish_wiz2

Welcome aboard!

CMAS is the main player for the chicagoland area and as of late we have not had much in terms of meets/swaps/tours with COVID.

Cowfish

Welcome. Whats your plan so far? Lights, flow, rock, equipment, livestock?
Thanks. I plan on using a hybrid light fixture of T-5s and LEDs. The flow will be provided by 2 MP-60s. I am currently putting in about 499 pounds of dry rock. I have a sump with a protein skimmer, carbon and gfc reactors, and a refugium. I plan to start with a couple clownfish and go from there.
My original intention was to add a uv sterilizer, but it is so huge it literally overwhelms my space. I haven’t set it up yet and may sell it in the future if I can get a decent price.
I was planning on starting my cycle with Dr. Tim’s unless someone convinces me of a better plan.

Reefaholic

Premium member
You should start a Build Thread to document your progress. It’s always interesting to see how things are coming along.

dvanlier05

Thanks. I plan on using a hybrid light fixture of T-5s and LEDs. The flow will be provided by 2 MP-60s. I am currently putting in about 499 pounds of dry rock. I have a sump with a protein skimmer, carbon and gfc reactors, and a refugium. I plan to start with a couple clownfish and go from there.
My original intention was to add a uv sterilizer, but it is so huge it literally overwhelms my space. I haven’t set it up yet and may sell it in the future if I can get a decent price.
I was planning on starting my cycle with Dr. Tim’s unless someone convinces me of a better plan.
Dr Tim's works great, just do what the directions say each day and you will have no problem. Thats how I cycle my tanks and it usually takes 10-14 days. Good luck and definitely try to keep us updated.

Cowfish

Dr Tim's works great, just do what the directions say each day and you will have no problem. Thats how I cycle my tanks and it usually takes 10-14 days. Good luck and definitely try to keep us updated.
Thanks, I notice Dr. Tim’s kit do not go up to the total volume of water I will have, about 550 gallons. Should I combine some smaller kits? Or will their largest kit work and just take longer?

dvanlier05

The bacteria will reproduce over time but I wouldn't hurt to get as close as possible. I know it's not the cheapest but I'd get at last 300 worth. Make sure you get plenty ammonia chloride, not sure on the dose but it will be a lot to get that much water up to 2.0 ppm. Eat Sleep Reef on YouTube just did a video day by day using Dr Tim's and is a great watch

Cowfish

Thanks, I have been reading Dr. Tim’s literature. I am currently making RO/DI water. After my tubs fill I am going to add it to my tank. I ordered the “ingredients” from Dr. Tim’s over the weekend.