HELP! Clean Up Crew turning on me?

Ajmal C

Hello everybody,

So I believe I have a weird issue. I have these small (upto 1/4 of an inch) side ways crawling shrimp that have these praying mantis shaped front appendages as part of my clean up crew. They also have lots of power in their swimming strides. I used to love them cuz they used to jump on any item of food that used to drop to the sand. I guess when I had about 7 fish that ate like pigs they used to get a lot of food. Now I only have 3 fish and I feed very little. They eat everything from the algae on the glass to meat that hits the sand bed. They also aggressively fight amongst each other.

Lately they have multiplied tenfold and are everywhere, what bothers me is that they are now walking over my zoas and palys. They usually eat any weak or dying zoanthid polyps. I recently acquired some Blue Agave PE and Red PE palys from Aquapros (love that place) and I keep finding the shrimp perched on them, and possibly feeding on them. I saw one atop my red PE paly and I tried to fend it off with a chopstick but the little bugger stayed its ground, even after I was hitting it, finally it gave in and crawled under the frag disc, they didn't used to be this balsy. The palys opened in my tank almost immediately, have had them for a few days now, but with repeat irritation they stay closed for hours now. I've seen these shrimp feed on a few dying polyps of zoas occasionally, but now I am guessing these opportunistic feeders are targeting my favorite palys, they don't get fed as much as they used too when my old system was up and running. They even attack the big grazing snails at times. Has anyone had this problem before?

A second problem are these encrusting snails that encrust on rock or even through some unhealthy SPS. They stay sessile for a while and release these long strings of mucous to trap and reel in food, this didn't used to be a problem before but now, with less feeding (I'm guessing) they send out their mucous strings more often and for longer. The strings irritate the zoas and palys a lot.

Here are some pics of the shrimp and snail in my tank.

Pics of the shrimp:
View attachment 6364
View attachment 6365
View attachment 6367

This is another pic taken from another forum: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/general-reef-aquarium-discussion/80389-tiny-shrimp-under-microscope-mantis.html. Discussing if they are mantis shrimp or not, hope not :S. But here is a pic
View attachment 6368
link to a bigger pic:http://postimg.org/image/y3j8srw6t/6bbdc6a5/

Pic of the snail, the long string of mucous can be seen projecting from the snail to the top left of the image
View attachment 6366

So I am pleading with you CR to please help me identify these guys and offer up any solutions. I was thinking of getting a species of Wrasse OR a Dragonet like a Mandarin to feed on them or even just harass them with their presence. Was also thinking of using a simple DIY Trap made with a water bottle, cut off the conical top, inversely insert and glue it on so it would kind of be one way traffic inwards, then I would quickly pull it out of the water.

Any suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated, this zoanthid lover would be deeply indebted to you.

Last edited:

ColaAddict

You can always get a nice aggressive wrasse to kill them. Mystery wrasse killed any shrimp in my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ajmal C

You can always get a nice aggressive wrasse to kill them. Mystery wrasse killed any shrimp in my tank.

Mysterry Wrasse huh, will research some more. Are they aggressive towards other fish (got some clowns)? Coral safe? Also is it appropriate for a 20 Gallon?

Thanks for the suggestion Nino

Last edited:

ColaAddict

Its an expensive wrasse, reefsafe except for shrimps :)
There are cheaper wrasse you can get, but mystery did it for me. Leapard wrasses never touched shrimps for me.

Ajmal C

Its an expensive wrasse, reefsafe except for shrimps :)
There are cheaper wrasse you can get, but mystery did it for me. Leapard wrasses never touched shrimps for me.

Yeah the price is a little high, they look cool though, and if it's a guaranteed shrimp decimator then its something to think about. Do they ever sell in the $40's?

Guessing if a leopard wrasse is 50/50 for eating shrimp than a Dragonet would be a major no go for shrimp termination.

Ajmal C

Yeah I think, they are amphipods but just have been starved with the less feedings hopefully the Palys can just bounce back and sting them or something.

Ajmal C

Hahahahaha yeah LOTS of roids. I was happy to have them till they started attacking susceptible coral. Especially my Zoanthids.

Should I just feed them as well.
Like some algae wafers or something.

Ajmal C

They are what you want, people pay money to get them in their tanks, some pics from giggle so you can be sure,
https://www.google.com/search?q=amphipods&biw=1280&bih=717&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=2EZkVOqRO4P4yAT7w4DYCw&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ
Looks like yours are on steroids, lol.
Thanks those pics were interesting. Are the ones as big as a mans hand real?? That looks insane. Wonder if there is a wrasse to eat those. Hahahaha. Proly a hawkfish or something.

Last edited:

sullyman

Mandarins live off them, most people lose the fish because there aren't enough pods for them to eat, looks like you've got plenty.

Ajmal C

Mandarins live off them, most people lose the fish because there aren't enough pods for them to eat, looks like you've got plenty.
Ok I was thinking Mandarins, but are these Mantis like amphipods too big? Some of them are as big as Mysis shrimp. How about six like wrasse? Is it on an individual basis?