Help Me Decide?

willtheld

So I'm adding automatic water change to my 90g. I travel a lot for work so it'll be helpful to my girlfriend to not have to do it.

Right now I am dosing BRS 2 part using APEX dos system with ddr. with around 100ml of each solution each day.

I want to use Dos for my water change.

My thoughts are, get a second dos for water change and continue doing 2 part. or get away from 2 part, use my current dos for WC and add a calcium rx from skimz. Im looking at Skimz Monster CM113.

when all is said and done, both come out to roughly the same price-ish. with the skimz option being a bit more expensive.

I don't have much coral now, but eventually would like to add more.

So what do you all think?

ultimatemj

Depends on your WC strategy...

Using peristaltic pumps only work for the slow and steady approach. More of a dilution strategy than a nutrient export strategy...which some people prefer.

To do the nutrient export you need to be able to do a larger quantity (10% or more of system volume) faster(min or less). This requires a volume measure (buckets w/float switches) on both sides (waste and fresh). The other thing you'd want to consider is how to get detritus into the water column so that it can be exported with the waste water...like triggering a powerhead in your sump for a minute right before WC.

Since it sounds like you have an Apex, so both options can be achieved.

Calcium reactor vs 2part is a different discussion :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maidia

Team CR
So I'm adding automatic water change to my 90g. I travel a lot for work so it'll be helpful to my girlfriend to not have to do it.

Right now I am dosing BRS 2 part using APEX dos system with ddr. with around 100ml of each solution each day.

I want to use Dos for my water change.

My thoughts are, get a second dos for water change and continue doing 2 part. or get away from 2 part, use my current dos for WC and add a calcium rx from skimz. Im looking at Skimz Monster CM113.

when all is said and done, both come out to roughly the same price-ish. with the skimz option being a bit more expensive.

I don't have much coral now, but eventually would like to add more.

So what do you all think?
If you don't have lot of corals then 100ml each part is a lot. If you set up water change system every week about 5-10 gallon then you can skip the doser (if not a lot SPS). I will need to ask my friend picture of his tank (He is not member here and he don't like computer). His tank is unbelievable with mix coral. SPS are all on top (big colonies) Zoas and soft corals on the lower tank over 100-200 polyps each colony. He only do water change 20%-25% every 2 weeks without dose anything and using Instant Ocean Salt (cheapest salt).

superchargedgp

If you don't have lot of corals then 100ml each part is a lot. If you set up water change system every week about 5-10 gallon then you can skip the doser (if not a lot SPS). I will need to ask my friend picture of his tank (He is not member here and he don't like computer). His tank is unbelievable with mix coral. SPS are all on top (big colonies) Zoas and soft corals on the lower tank over 100-200 polyps each colony. He only do water change 20%-25% every 2 weeks without dose anything and using Instant Ocean Salt (cheapest salt).
Thats what i do. Kalk and water change. Im not going to play scientist with this crap. Keep it simple and enjoy it. 5 gallon water change every week on a 70 gallon total water volume system

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
I'm with Mai, 100ml of 2 Part seems like a crazy high dosage for a tank without many coral. For SPS, I have tons of frags and some mini colonies and I have tons of LPS.. My daily dose is 25 seconds 14 times a day at 1.6ml/min. That's around 9.33 ML a day to keep mine at 8.12 dKH.

Sorry, way off topic for your post :)