Help me understand KH API test

Paulip

9 dKH. That's it. It is the simplest test of all. Next time just stop at green and add +1 count. There is only shades of blue, green, and then yellow.

Catching the color change in calcium is the hard one. It turns blue in a very obvious way just once and then back to purple on the next drop after that. I saw it on youtube and was able to recreate a few times. So, it pisses me off even more when I miss the transitions and solution #2 gets used up faster. The color swatch is also useless.

Last edited:

Danieldv6

9 dKH. That's it. It is the simplest test of all. Next time just stop at green and add +1 count. There is only shades of blue, green, and then yellow.

Catching the color change in calcium is the hard one. It turns blue in a very obvious way just once and then back to purple on the next drop after that. I saw it on youtube and was able to recreate a few times. So, it pisses me off even more when I miss the transitions and solution #2 gets used up faster. The color swatch is also useless.
Thanks..been dripping kalkwasser last 24 hours but yesterday before start my calcium was 342..I added 10 ml.of Kent liquid calcium then 10 ml. today.2 hours later calcium is 422 on hanna checker and 440 on ATI ..will keep an eyeView attachment 16996

Paulip

Never tought I was that low on ca. just was trying to bring it up a little bit but will keep an eye on the "for now" cheap and manually done ATO.lol.
Do you mean cheap doser or cheap ATO?

Not sure if Kalkwasser via ATO is recommended. I have no experience with Kalk and forgot what I read about it. [MENTION=1455]Sawdonkey[/MENTION] and [MENTION=454]maidia[/MENTION] are experts who might be willing to review your delivery methods to future proof your setup, if you care to elaborate.

Last edited:

Sawdonkey

Premium member

Not sure if Kalkwasser via ATO is recommended. I have no experience with Kalk and forgot what I read about it. [MENTION=1455]Sawdonkey[/MENTION] and [MENTION=454]maidia[/MENTION] are experts who might be willing to review your delivery methods to future proof your setup, if you care to elaborate.
I'm surely not an expert on kalk, but i do use it through my ATO. It definitely isn't the best technique, but it is easy for me and it works. A doser or kalk stirrer is probably better. I have to deal with changes in evaporation, but I've gotten good at adjusting my kalk mix over time. My alk swings more than I'd like it to, but it's an acceptable range. Typically between 120 and 140 ppm.

That said, my acros are getting big enough that kalk is struggling to keep up. I've recently started dosing a little alk and cal manually to keep things steady. I'll be in the market for a cal reactor soon.

Paulip

I'm surely not an expert on kalk, but i do use it through my ATO. It definitely isn't the best technique, but it is easy for me and it works. A doser or kalk stirrer is probably better. I have to deal with changes in evaporation, but I've gotten good at adjusting my kalk mix over time. My alk swings more than I'd like it to, but it's an acceptable range. Typically between 120 and 140 ppm.

That said, my acros are getting big enough that kalk is struggling to keep up. I've recently started dosing a little alk and cal manually to keep things steady. I'll be in the market for a cal reactor soon.
Sorry to put the heat on you and maidia. :p "Expert" is a loaded word possibly reserved for chemists practicing in the field. What I meant is that you have observable success taking care of delicate specimens using your methods... Adjusting my reefer vocabulary. Insert word: proficient.

Anyway, if it is working for your tank then I consider the method fairly robust.

Last edited:

maidia

Team CR

I never use Kalk before so have no idea. I used doser (DIY 3 parts) for my sps tank but changed to CALR long ago. I am still use doser for Mag (6ml a day) for my 120 gallon total. I felt too much work for 2 parts (Alk and Cal). CALR save time and $$$ for me.

Paulip

I never use Kalk before so have no idea. I used doser (DIY 3 parts) for my sps tank but changed to CALR long ago. I am still use doser for Mag (6ml a day) for my 120 gallon total. I felt too much work for 2 parts (Alk and Cal). CALR save time and $$$ for me.
CaLR = "Calcium, Lime and Rust"?

Paulip

Cleans the wavemakers and pumps at the same time! Randy Homes Farley is definitely behind the CR curve.

Danieldv6

Don't go too fast, especially with alkalinity.
So after a week that alk was at 9 then I checked for 3 days in a row then stop until today what surprise my alk was at 3..what is causing this to go dawn so fast..do you have any ideas or advice?.calcium stays on 441..thanks

Paulip

That's crazy. Is this a new setup? I think alk is very unstable during cycling or you have a bad test kit. Also, make sure you don't switch caps on the solutions or you will contaminate them. Your welcome to try it on my water.

SkullV

Rapid reduction of Alk is very common on newly set up tanks using dry rock. Not very crazy at all. Definitely double-check your test kit with a known good kit and double/triple/quadruple your API test tubes with both RODI water and tank water.

Danieldv6

That's crazy. Is this a new setup? I think alk is very unstable during cycling or you have a bad test kit. Also, make sure you don't switch caps on the solutions or you will contaminate them. Your welcome to try it on my water.
Is 2 months old but most rock came from a 2 year old set ul with about 40 pounds of live rock and I added like another 40 dry when set this up..

Danieldv6

Rapid reduction of Alk is very common on newly set up tanks using dry rock. Not very crazy at all. Definitely double-check your test kit with a known good kit and double/triple/quadruple your API test tubes with both RODI water and tank water.
Thanks Ted..I did wash it several times and did the test 4 times.the first test I did 7 straight drops as I assume it was gonna be about 9 but instantly turned blue then I did a second whit 4 straight drops same blue then did a last one drop by drop and at the third one turned blue..I been doing kalkwasser dripp but like I said calcium stays at 441.