Help! Over night o lost a nice SPS colony.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I don't think nudi's eat acros. No idea what that is. Usually a pest won't kill a colony overnight. That looks like RTN.

ghostman

looks like RTN and the critter just looks like a pod that was eating the dead tissue. What are your water parameters, and has there been any changes recently?

madjoe

Premium member
That dont look like a pod looks similar to aefw but never seen ine do that to a acro over night

madjoe

Premium member
I dont see legs for it to be a pod and ends seem jelly and see through like u can be wrong sometimes hard to tell with pics google aefw and look just in case

cet98

+1 to RTN....critter doesn't look at all familiar but like MJ said, no way it would be eaten overnight....

jrpark22000

Premium member
Do you have other SPS in the tank, and are any of them affected? Have you had any parameter changes, temp swings, alk, ca or temp recently?

Pods will eat ur sps if they r in bad shape then if u do nothing to correct ur parameters u will surely loose them. The way the coral looked I woulds say water quality

ghostman

I was thinking the pic was the back of a pod, not how we typically view them on their side. Didn't look like a nudi to me as it seems to have some height. Also a pod would be a harmless common scavenger of decaying tissue in RTN, and nothing to worry about. Regardless, I think water quality or a sudden change in it was the issue. My money would be on a newly purchased frag that didn't make it.

maazreef

All parameters are perfect. I have 5 other sps colonies and only this one was attacked. I took the colony out last night and dipped in iodine (only thing I had and it was pretty much dead) and I found more of these things.

A close up

Others

I have never seen anything like it

madjoe

Premium member
Most of those r pods i see legs good creatures besides like most us said dont believe any pest can do that over night more like a water issue i had heater go bad and temp dropped over night and caused so to do that

maazreef

I thought they where pods but panicked i assume the worse. so strange that only 1 colony was affected. Everything else seems ok. I am wondering if I had an alk or temp drop over night and this acro was just too sensitive. I noticed it 1 hour in as lights went on and tested:

Temp 78-80 (probe)
KH 7.0-7.4 dKh (Red Sea)
PH 8.1-8.3 (probe)
CA 430-460 ppm (Red Sea)
MG 1380-1450 ppm (Red Sea)
K 380-500 ppm (Salifert)
NO3 0 ppm (Red Sea)

Last edited:

tinman

How long have you had it ?? And is it completely colored up and healthy when you got it ??

The reefer

I could b wrong but I read that dipping acros in iodine is pretty hard on them. I use coral rx and I know a lot of ppl use Bayer for dip now. Mayb the acro didn't do to well after the dip?

Hopefully it pulls through.
Goodluck

maazreef

Don't know how to quote on this stpdapp.
Tinman I just introduced these colonies the night before. I acclimated by dripping for 2 hours with no temperature changes. During the process I added 5 gallons of freshly made salt water through the top off. And everything was great colored.

The reefer.
Acro is gone, it was gone before I dipped. I just wanted to see what came out of it if in case anything was eating it. Iodine was the only thing I had. :(

ColaAddict

So its a new acro. Rtn can happen with new acros. Especially if its wild/maricultured, or fresh cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tinman

So its a new acro. Rtn can happen with new acros. Especially if its wild/maricultured, or fresh cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 .. espeilly if its a fresh cut .. then chances are over 50% that it would rtn and if they are shipped then chances are over 70% for fresh cuts.

there is no specific reason for new acros to RTN ..can be difference in lighting, difference in water parameters, depends on how they are shipped and if they are exposed to extreme cold or warm temps.

Good luck buddy

labas39

I'll chime in but I'm not an expert, by far, so take it or leave it.

Personally, I prefer fresh cuts and I have a very high success rate with them. There are less changes of critters since there's no plug or rock to collect them or their eggs.

Even the pros lose their existing colonies to RTN and they never really know why. Cherry Corals lost their awesome Heaven and Hell milli and there are a tons of examples just like that. If you don't see any more RTN'ing and you don't see any weird creatures, I'd just chalk it up to something strange happened and move on.

As far as dipping in iodine for hours; I don't dip in iodine but I would imagine dipping in anything that long wouldn't be too good. I always dip and when I do, I use Bayer at a a concentration of 10 ml/cup of tank water for 15 minutes. (That almost sounds like the Most Interesting Man in the World commercial.)