Help stand for 45g rimless stand

Kamreefer

Help this is my first diy stand and man am I frustrated! This is my 2nd attempt I was about to give up! But gave it another try and now ...........I have 2 issues it slightly rocks on one side and the other is when I was cutting and screwing it together one side was off so I had to add a price of wood to the end it is drilled in but worries me here's a picView attachment 9468
It's the post at the top left
And here's a whole pic of the stand any more suggestions for support are welcome thx!

View attachment 9469

jayjerk

Premium member
Are all boards same length ? And when u screw have to keep boards flush. If it's off even a lil bit it will wobble

Blue corals

I honestly think you should use a miter saw and cut the boards straight. A filled 45 gal tank is heavy and I personally couldn't sleep well at night with a stand thats not cut straight and probably not leveled, but thats me. I would recommend and borrower or rent a miter saw and cut the boards straight and use nails with your screws. Nails are much stronger than screws.

rezaktp

I happen to have a stand for a JBJ 45 available

Slightly blemished corners for $50, pick-up in Gurnee, IL

r33fswagg3r

Premium member
First, you are way overbuilding the stand, all of those 2x4's are not necessary. With the smaller footprint of your tank all the weight will sit at the corners of the stand. You should never have 2x4's laying flat as you do for your cross members, there is no strength in it and thus makes it useless, in short crown should be up. You do not need 4x4's for a tank of this size. Never cut boards to length with a circular saw, always a miter saw.

That having been said, if you want me to build you an economical stand with 2x4's and minimal trim I would be willing to do so for the cost of lumber and $100 labor fee.

Kamreefer

Wow reefs wagger thx appreciate it the reason I over built it was because it needs to be tall. I will definitely take u up on that

r33fswagg3r

Premium member
Wow reefs wagger thx appreciate it the reason I over built it was because it needs to be tall. I will definitely take u up on that
I know you sent me a PM about the stand and I've been giving it some thought. Instead of charging you to build the stand, you can come out my way, there is a menards down the street. We can grab the lumber and instead of charging you for me to build it I was thinking we could build it together with my tools and I could show you how to do it so that you have the skills and knowledge to build future ones should you need them. Let me know.

jayjerk

Premium member
i know you sent me a pm about the stand and i've been giving it some thought. Instead of charging you to build the stand, you can come out my way, there is a menards down the street. We can grab the lumber and instead of charging you for me to build it i was thinking we could build it together with my tools and i could show you how to do it so that you have the skills and knowledge to build future ones should you need them. Let me know.
CLASSY move bud...big ups to Justin