Help

carpetreef75

Premium member
I have a test kit for everything from Red Sea and others.
But I only really test my alk and PH, sometimes calcium and mag.I tested about a week ago, alk was on the low end and so was mag around 900 due to adding a good amount of sps colonies .I just added little by little in top offs to get it up a bit.Phosphates I dont test for, easy to tell when theres brown algea on my glass gathering quickly.
Water conditioner keeps my nitrates /nitrites /ammonia in check or really low ,so much that I removed the 120g skimmer I mentioned in an earlier post, and my tank is just running with the stock skimmer.No3po4x
Has also helped clean up my tank.Id say 1 more month late night 2am husbandry will bring my tank to crystalclean again!

The one thing I dont have is a refractometer,and I really need.
And a tang to munch on the algae growing on the rocks Lol
Top off daily, weekly water changes a +, better bump that Mag corals in my tank dig 1450 Mag

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Yeah, your mag is low enough that you will have a hard time keeping alk steady.

Do some reading first, but I believe that it's not a big deal to bump you mag up pretty fast. The amount of mag supplement it take to move the needle is pretty surprising. In my tank, which is 250 or so total water, I dumped a whole bottle of Tech M in and mag only went up about 50 ppm. Now I use the BRS bulk mag.

ReeferRick

Yeah, your mag is low enough that you will have a hard time keeping alk steady.

Do some reading first, but I believe that it's not a big deal to bump you mag up pretty fast. The amount of mag supplement it take to move the needle is pretty surprising. In my tank, which is 250 or so total water, I dumped a whole bottle of Tech M in and mag only went up about 50 ppm. Now I use the BRS bulk mag.

Thanks guys , since my rock ,sand came from my old tank its mature enough to be able to keep stable and keep sps.
Its just been a little tough pinpointing the dosing to reach a favorable level since its a nano, and stock of sps now.
And also, Im still fairly new to the hobby but I got all these supplements and test kits now I really need to be dilligent in my husbandy and actually test/add to keep stable.
My rocks are turning more dark purple , i guess the mag supplement is helping.

Btw Sawdonkey, the purp stylo you sold me is doing great.

carpetreef75

Premium member
Thanks guys , since my rock ,sand came from my old tank its mature enough to be able to keep stable and keep sps.
Its just been a little tough pinpointing the dosing to reach a favorable level since its a nano, and stock of sps now.
And also, Im still fairly new to the hobby but I got all these supplements and test kits now I really need to be dilligent in my husbandy and actually test/add to keep stable.

this chart is your friend http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

type in your gallons and product your using and makes it pretty easy , on the 300 gallon i've added as much as 800 ml of mag to bring it back up to 450 after going on Vaca and my Bro only fed the fish & coral never tested .Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
GL

ReeferRick

this chart is your friend http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

type in your gallons and product your using and makes it pretty easy , on the 300 gallon i've added as much as 800 ml of mag to bring it back up to 450 after going on Vaca and my Bro only fed the fish & coral never tested .Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
GL
That looks really helpful,thanks man.
Im gonna input my numbers when I test tomorrow afternoon.

I wish I would have taken A picture 3 weeks before I started this thread,and how bad the tank was covered in algea, and the receding coral, pale colors.You guys suggested an ATO,and thats my next purchase.
I have a med-Heavy stocked tank, so I do get alot of nutrients but the NO3PO4X takes care of most .
My phosphates are really low now (light olive color in titration test) and my trates and trites are also semi low, sps seem to like it that way because everything opens up now and im getting growth tips and rims on my coral.

My one other problem was lack of flow.The stock return pumps on the Red Sea 130D are great upstairs, but the small powerhead I had wasnt doing much for the sandbed.

I purchased a Pink Spot Goby,and WOW.
This lil dude has my sand looking sparkling white.
Also purchased a Jebao rw4 2 weeks ago, and the flow is amazing in my nano now.

Heres a pic of my tank today.
Still a work in progress as far as the cleaning goes.
Man Nano Reefs are tough.

View attachment 15466

Last edited: