Help

ReeferRick

I set up my 34g red sea at the beggining of the month.
now, My tank is going to sh#t.

I fragged off a bunch of shrooms and put them all in an acrylic box on my sandbed.one died and started turning into goo wich was floatng in my tank.
i also added a coris wrasse that has dissappeared since i added a week ago.
My salinity is at.029 for some reason.

My problem is that most of my coral has closed up and there are strings of the white goo they release...all over the tank.Had a sudden algea bloom and hair algea on the 3rd week set up.
i cant get the coral to stop (jizzing) .

I added a second skimmer meant for a 125 gallon tank, using no3po4x and lowering the salinity .
in a small set up like this, what is the weekly husbandry recomended?? I was used to a bigger set up with less maint.Also, my return pumps sometime release a huge amount of micro bubbles or jet streams of air that REALLY piss of the coral and immediately start jizzzing.

Any help or input greately appreciated,as im new to nanos.

I have a READ SEA MAX 34.
Used mature sand and rock from my old tank to set up.

tinman

Hmmmm lets dissect :)

1. Do you have an ato ?
2. What kinda lights
3. When you said you fragged what do you mean ??
4. What kinda flow do you have ? Powerheads ?
5 . What salt ?

Sent from my iPhone

bryman

Salinity - are you topping off with SW or fresh water?
Bubbles in return - likely a hole or gap somewhere in return plumbing, or water level too low in pump section so pump drawing in air.
Coral stress - Probably from high salinity or other chemistry issues. Please post your test results for all parameters.

ReeferRick

I was under the impression Coral like high salinity and its fish who stress over it.I only have 1 damsel in there.Added the coris,but havent seen it since I added it.
I only feed the damsel every 2 days.
i top offanually with rodi.But last time I checked my salinity it was at .022 so I topped with with some saltwater and didnt monitor after so I guess it climbed that high.
i use INSTANT OCEAN.
I will test later for ammonia and such.

Im just dont know if I should tear apart my tank to find the possibly dead fish or leave it be.Im not sure how 34g of water will handle that amonia spike, plus my cuc is just snails and 2 emeralds.

Shroons were growing in my other tank on the walls so i scraped them off and put them in the 34g to heal up.
idk if that could also cause an ammonia spike .

Mjl714

I got a 20 reef tank, and as far as maintenance, we simply change about 10g per week. Now and then we skip a week. We have a cpr refugium (packed with chaeto) on back, a brs reactor with gfo, and an mp10, that's it.

Last edited:

york3rdbase

Premium member
I got a 20 reef tank, and as far as maintenance, we simply change about 10g per week. Now and then we skip a week. We have a cpr refugium (packed with chaeto) on back, a brs reactor with gfo, and an mp10, that's it.
Where do you add the GFO reactor in? would love to see the setup.

Salinity - are you topping off with SW or fresh water?
Bubbles in return - likely a hole or gap somewhere in return plumbing, or water level too low in pump section so pump drawing in air.
Coral stress - Probably from high salinity or other chemistry issues. Please post your test results for all parameters.
+1. Especially what your Ammonia is. I'd say it's a 34 gallon, start doing water changes, fix that salinity quickly. Don't worry about the bubbles right now, get your tank stabilized first.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
I was under the impression Coral like high salinity and its fish who stress over it.I only have 1 damsel in there.Added the coris,but havent seen it since I added it.
I only feed the damsel every 2 days.
i top offanually with rodi.But last time I checked my salinity it was at .022 so I topped with with some saltwater and didnt monitor after so I guess it climbed that high.
i use INSTANT OCEAN.
I will test later for ammonia and such.

Im just dont know if I should tear apart my tank to find the possibly dead fish or leave it be.Im not sure how 34g of water will handle that amonia spike, plus my cuc is just snails and 2 emeralds.

Shroons were growing in my other tank on the walls so i scraped them off and put them in the 34g to heal up.
idk if that could also cause an ammonia spike .
Corals like a very stable and specific range for salinity. .022 or .029 is way off on both sides. Keep it between 1.024 and 1.026.

Also you meant top off daily right? An auto top off is well worth the money!

HTH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReeferRick

Am i suppposed to top off daily?
Or everother day?
I do it about every 8-10 days.I have been getting low on my water levels.

My tank is doing better, I lost some coral,not much.
Running carbon pads and the skimmer for a 125 gallon.
I just gotta get the tank stabilized.I will test Tomorrow night,I just hate doing the test tube things and shaking for 3 minutes and all that.I havent dont a change yet
A weekly WC a must?
I have a damsel and a 6line in there with small Cuc.

tinman

Am i suppposed to top off daily?
Or everother day?
I do it about every 8-10 days.I have been getting low on my water levels.

My tank is doing better, I lost some coral,not much.
Running carbon pads and the skimmer for a 125 gallon.
I just gotta get the tank stabilized.I will test Tomorrow night,I just hate doing the test tube things and shaking for 3 minutes and all that.I havent dont a change yet
A weekly WC a must?
I have a damsel and a 6line in there with small Cuc.
so its a 34 gallon AIO tank .. you let the water evaporate for 8-10 days and then dump fresh RO to top off for whatever has evaporated ? with a 34 gallon tank im assuming its about 0.5 - 0.7 gallons or so a day ? so you dump about 4 - 5 gallons of Fresh RO every 8-10 days and call it a day ??

sorry if i misunderstood .. but if what i stated above is whats you are doing im amazed any coral survives it at all ..

ATOs are inexpensive and you can build one for as low as 70 bucks or so .. please get an ato.

Testing is a must when you have problems with the tank .. there is just no way around it unless you can tell the problem looking at the coral behaviour ( which only a very few ppl can do and im certain they are lucky enough not to have problems in the first place)

tinman

oh and to answer your question .. if its me depending on what coral i put in there ( how sensitive that coral is ) i top off every morning and and before i go to bed. roughly once every 12 hours and thats what i was doing now with my nuvo 10 as i have to get some airline tubing for my ato to work and i have been slacking ..

ReeferRick

Alright guys, after all this time I lost some coral, but have bounced back.

So the yellow choris burried itself and died.
Caused a huge spike in ammonia and got lots of phosphates/nitrates.Then a dead shroom stunk up my tank and had been unstable for about 3 weeks.Im lucky 80% of my coral survived.Lost some hammers and 4 montipora turned gray.

But today, I do top offs(something I wasnt used to) every 2 days and mix in some 2part Kalk every once a week
Running carbon and phosphate remover.Drop in some water conditioner once every 3 weeks so far.

My tank is doing so much better.It had turned green and brown .Now corals are opening up again and im getting more coralline algea.They key to this was the water top off done correctly to stop my sal swings and low alk/mag.
Then it was easy to strengthen my filtration with media bags and a WC every 10 days .

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Alright guys, after all this time I lost some coral, but have bounced back.

So the yellow choris burried itself and died.
Caused a huge spike in ammonia and got lots of phosphates/nitrates.Then a dead shroom stunk up my tank and had been unstable for about 3 weeks.Im lucky 80% of my coral survived.Lost some hammers and 4 montipora turned gray.

But today, I do top offs(something I wasnt used to) every 2 days and mix in some 2part Kalk every once a week
Running carbon and phosphate remover.Drop in some water conditioner once every 3 weeks so far.

My tank is doing so much better.It had turned green and brown .Now corals are opening up again and im getting more coralline algea.They key to this was the water top off done correctly to stop my sal swings and low alk/mag.
Then it was easy to strengthen my filtration with media bags and a WC every 10 days .
Are you testing for the stuff you're trying to remedy. You're running phosphate remover, what's your phosphate level? You're dosing two-part Kalk (These are two different things by the way), what's your alk and calcium levels?

It sounds like you're on the right track with the ATO, but before dosing anything, make sure you know where you're currently at and what the target is.

ReeferRick

Are you testing for the stuff you're trying to remedy. You're running phosphate remover, what's your phosphate level? You're dosing two-part Kalk (These are two different things by the way), what's your alk and calcium levels?

It sounds like you're on the right track with the ATO, but before dosing anything, make sure you know where you're currently at and what the target is.

I have a test kit for everything from Red Sea and others.
But I only really test my alk and PH, sometimes calcium and mag.I tested about a week ago, alk was on the low end and so was mag around 900 due to adding a good amount of sps colonies .I just added little by little in top offs to get it up a bit.Phosphates I dont test for, easy to tell when theres brown algea on my glass gathering quickly.
Water conditioner keeps my nitrates /nitrites /ammonia in check or really low ,so much that I removed the 120g skimmer I mentioned in an earlier post, and my tank is just running with the stock skimmer.No3po4x
Has also helped clean up my tank.Id say 1 more month late night 2am husbandry will bring my tank to crystalclean again!

The one thing I dont have is a refractometer,and I really need.
And a tang to munch on the algae growing on the rocks Lol

anarchy

You do top off every 2 days? Meaning you do them by hand? Buy an auto top off.

2 part and kalk are 2 different things. Which do you use? Going to assume kalk since youre adding it with your top offs. I could be wrong but i dont think this will help your magnesium level.

Buy a refractometer. Its worth it

Post up all of your parameters.
Alk
Cal
Mag
Nitrate
Phos
Nitrite
Ammonia
Temp
Salinity

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk