HLLE on Blue Tang?

#theMatrix

Ted and his 300g tank gave his emperor angelfish head lateral line from carbon.
Ive heard it can give fish Hole in head as well when its an inferior carbon.

So its as why i only use carbon in QT to remove medicine. And not in DT

madjoe

Premium member
Carbon has been known to do it they dont always get healed but ive had good luck with feeding pellets as main diet and haveing its heal maybe sombody took a chunk out of it and its not hole in head

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
That's crazy. Thanks for all the replies. It happened within 20 hours of running a large amount of inferior carbon (marineland) which was all my lfs had in Stock at the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Illinijoe

TeamCR
Strange I thought Marin land was a better carbon according to some research I found online. If you have an emergency I have some DFS Carbon you can have.just come get it.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Yeah that's actually what I hear. I just assumed it was inferior based on the price! Good news

jrpark22000

Premium member
Marineland is a lignite based carbon, it's better than bituminous but still inferior to ROX. Lignite will still cause HLLE as stated by many reefers.

Lignite carbon has most dust. From HLLE perspective, it's probably the worst. And yes, it was Marineland carbon that gave my hippo HLLE. But apparently no long term health effects as it has been with me for about 8 years.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
So after doing more research, I believe this to be a head injury due to hitting the rocks. This is likely attributed to the toxins created by the flatworm's death and their affect on the fish (darting and losing their ability to maintain balance).

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Great news. My Blue Tang has a decent battle scar but he never skipped a beat.

For reference I treated with Focus and MetroPlex to prevent infection for three days.