I need help IDing this! PLEASE!

Cecily

I have no idea what it is, and I have a really crappy camera.. It's growing on my red leg hermit crab's shell, and there's another one on my cerith snail.

It's like a white volcano, and the mouth opens and closes.. And a hair-like rake looking arm comes and is getting the little particles out of my water. It's it's bad I want it out! Lol.

Here are some not so good pictures, I'm sorry!

poidog

no why to tell from those pictures as they are not in focus.
google "pineapple sponge" and tunicate and see if it's one of those.

Cecily

It's neither of those. It's hard, and not transparent. It has little indented lines going from the base to the top where the little mouth opens and closes.

poidog

hmmm... sorry. Can't ID it without a clear picture. Maybe someone knows what you mean by description.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
I have one of those. The "rake" looking thing comes out of the hole and twists around and then goes back into the hole, right? I've had one living on my torch coral. In fact the torch actually grew around it. Been there for years and never hurt anything. I'd leave it.

Cecily

Yes! It just goes in and out for a few minutes and then goes back in for a while. Thank you so much!

Do they grow?

Cecily

Mine hasn't gotten any bigger in 2 years.
I was just reading about them and it said that the only real problem they can cause is if they reproduce crazy.. But they will rarely get large enough to in a tank because they are filter feeders. Idk how accurate that information is, but - I'll give them a chance because I think they're cool.

DanSreef

Premium member
+1 Barnacle... They come in as hitchhikers... They are kind of cool. If you have enough food in your water column you can keep them alive. They won't hurt a thing.