I need your opinion - 120, 155, 180 or 220

DanSreef

Premium member
So I have been thinking about upgrading my 72 gal bow front reef tank to a bigger tank for a while. I would like to evolve more to a SPS dominant tank and have simply outgrown my current tank.

My wife has given me the green light so now I am kicking around a few options. I know that selection will ultimately be a personal decision, but I would like to get some thoughts from everyone here as to different considerations. Here are the options I am considering:
1) a 155 bow front reef ready
2) a 120 reef ready
3) a 180 reef ready
4) a 210 reef ready

I know a lot of people will say go as big as you can. I personally like bow fronts.

So... What does everyone think. In any event...it will likely mean a lot of work and a lot of spend. I am hoping this tank will continue to be the showpiece within my living room and one I had better not outgrow.

ColaAddict

I personally like the dimension of the 180. You get a nice lenght and depth, but not so tall that it makes it hard to work with corals inside.

DanSreef

Premium member
Ok.....so it looks like there is a pattern here. :smile (2): even though I like bow fronts..... I am leaning towards the 180.

Now here is an interesting twist. My wife asked why I would get rid of the 72 bow....existing tank. She even made a suggestion of where I could put the new tank. I have a sneaking suspicion she wants something....

So, I guess now I have more to think about. I just am not sure. I want two large tanks...

DanSreef

Premium member
She and my girls want a pony.... She already has her own horse.....now she wants one for the girls to be able to ride... Ugggg....

fastrc

I just bought a 180 but im not sure if it's reef ready,If your interested ill take a look at it and see.

fastrc

I have a horse ranch down here in Gibson city, I wouldn't have horses if i had to board them. We ride almost every weekend in the summer and just got home from a 100 mile horse ride that was from last Saturday till this Saturday, I'm tired lol

DanSreef

Premium member
Hahaha,there is no free upgrades here huh?
There are no freebies in life! I just found out how much she needs to buy the pony that she and the girls want.... Well....lets just say... I fell out of my chair! So at the end of the day... there should be no complaining on her part as to how much I spend on a new tank! :rock:

I think I like the 180... am thinking of LED lighting... some Vortecs... I am actually warming up to the idea of having another tank as opposed to replacing the 72 bow... Not sure yet. That is a lot of maint...for two large tanks!

fastrc

If you want a pony, I go to horse auctions about every week, I can line you up with some of the auctions and you can find a good pony for $100.00 to $600.00 easily.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
If you want a pony, I go to horse auctions about every week, I can line you up with some of the auctions and you can find a good pony for $100.00 to $600.00 easily.
Geesh, for the price of a few corals I could have a pony!!

DanSreef

Premium member
@Eric.... Yeah.... I should have seen that one coming a mile away!!!!! She has been dropping hints.....sending up trial ballons... yeah I know... she has even come out and said.... We want a pony....

@fastrc... My wife already has a pony in mind and picked out... uggg.... The good thing is that the girls have already been on her and I guess she is a bullet proof intermediate training horse... So.. as much as I would like to take you up on a "Cheeper" route... I guess the selection of a horse is already complete....