Ich question.

keith954

No, not that I know of. Unless you try to treat your tank with something that would kill the coral. The ich itself won't harm the coral.

Last edited:

Milhouse

Premium member
Pull the fish, qt, leave the tank fallow
I don't have room for a QT nor the$ to but another setup. It's just 2 clowns and a six line. From what I've read, none of those take to well to copper. Right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jvermeulen

Premium member
My tang had ich and all of a sudden my fire shrimp started picking at him & my cleaner wrasse started following n pecking at him & now he's ich free

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Milhouse

Premium member
I don't even know how i got it. I haven't added anything in months and I've had these fish for a year now. Can it just "show up"?

jm23

I don't even know how i got it. I haven't added anything in months and I've had these fish for a year now. Can it just "show up"?
Ich was introduced at some point whether it was from a fish, coral, or invert,. Ich can be present on fish inside the gills area and continue it's life cycle unseen. The good news is the type of fish you have are probably pretty resilient to ich if it took several months to show outward signs. You can go the route of feeding the fish high quality foods and boosting their immune system, but ich will most likely always remain present in your tank or you can take the fish out and quarantine your fish using copper, hypo, or tank transfer method, but you have to leave you tank fallow 8 to 12 weeks.

My tang had ich and all of a sudden my fire shrimp started picking at him & my cleaner wrasse started following n pecking at him & now he's ich free

And there you have it ......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

tinman

Millhouse

I'd say just leave the tank be, I'm assuming its a small tank so those three fish will be fine and fight ich themselves.

Just maintain good water params and feed good stuff.

Just also let anyone you are trading/selling coral with, about this.

Markemark

So in your opinion is the UV sterilizer zapping the bacteria the probiotic is adding ???

[/QUOTE]

I am sure it's zapping some of it but not all of it I use it as another step to keeping my fish as healthy as can be and would recommend it to anyone.

jrwoltman

Ich is probably lying dormant in most of our tanks, and in my opinion there is no way to guarantee your tank is 100% ich free, unless you are starting anew with dry rock and dry sand. As long as you feed your fish a varied diet, maintain good water quality, and keep your tank's parameters as stable as possible, all will be well. Most fish are able to fight off ich, with tangs often being the exception.

Ich is probably lying dormant in most of our tanks, and in my opinion there is no way to guarantee your tank is 100% ich free, unless you are starting anew with dry rock and dry sand. As long as you feed your fish a varied diet, maintain good water quality, and keep your tank's parameters as stable as possible, all will be well. Most fish are able to fight off ich, with tangs often being the exception.
OMG :) lol

I believe keep em Healthy and stress level down and no problem ,I have a couple prissy Tangs in there that get pizzed with a water change or adding some rock / Corals and with a chunk of garlic put thru the food processor and sprinkle 2 dozen pieces and there back fine in a few hours .
carry on

MMreef

Some people decide to live with ich in their tanks and some will eradicate it completely and qt. everything before putting in DT. There is only 3 proven ways to get rid of ich( hypo salinity treatment,copper and tank transfer method) , garlic and other remedies help fish cope with it, but do nothing to get rid of it. Just because you don't see it anymore, doesn't mean it is not there.