I'm losing my sps'

Smitty

Premium member
Merry Christmas folks...Although I've had a good day, I'm a lil sad. Many of my sps colonies are dying, or already dead. I've pinpointed the problem to a sudden rise of phosphates. Even with a nice water change yesterday and a new batch of gfo, it doesn't seem to be helping. So, looks like I'll be buying new frags again soon.

Smitty

Premium member
Overfeeding....Since the Mrs. feed her seahorse tank multiple times a day, the leftover brine or mysis shrimp go right into my tank. She loves to see the feeding frenzy my fish do. So, I asked her not to feed my tank and explained the reasoning.

vucious

Smitty just so I know not to do it myself, what is your definition of sudden rise in phosphate? What was it before and after the increased feeding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smitty

Premium member
Are they dying slowly or bleaching?
My large purple poccipora was the first to go. About 40% of it had the loose flesh coming off the skeleton one day, and then the next day that part was totally dead skeleton. The third day, it was 90% skeleton, st which tine I just pulled it out. The colony war the size of a large softball. That same day, I noticed my pompeii birdsnest about 50% dead coral, and the next day, it was totally white. Now, my large tri color valida is starting to turn white in the middle the colony. Some of my other corals doesn't seem to be affected, or aren't showing signs yet. But I'm doing water changes every 2 days and running gfo to help.

Smitty

Premium member
Smitty just so I know not to do it myself, what is your definition of sudden rise in phosphate? What was it before and after the increased feeding?
I didn't test the po4, but knowing ones tank, you pretty much know when something is off. I did test my alk and mag and cal, and ask those numbers are my normal readings. And for the last week, the ole lady has been feeding my tank for me. I usually don't feed nothing but spectrum pellets, but lately, the tank has been getting a nice serving of mysis and brine shrimp, on various parts of the day. I initially noticed my corals weren't as open and colorful...then I noticed an increased growth of algae in my sump/fuge. That's how I noticed the levels were creeping up.

Smitty

Premium member
i thought with high phosphate, SPS will brown out first.
I thought so too...I've noticed my monti plate to be browning out the last 2 weeks or so. But I thought the po4 could be contributing to the Rtn, but upon more reading, it could be caused by a virus in the tank. But I'm pretty sure it's rtn, because they're dying within the day.

vucious

Damn my headaches also started when I started SPS. I was experiencing RTN and STN . I did the following things and it seems to help but I can't say for sure that's the reason the STN/RTN stopped or slowed down.

1) stopped carbon dosing, this stopped the cyano
2) stopped kalkwasser, this brought my alk down from 10 to 8 over a few weeks
3) started using GFO reactor with brs high capacity, this brought po4 from .13 to .04
4) smaller water changes used to do 10% a week but now only 5% a week

Not sure if this can help you, but I do have a big multi branch frag of forest fire digita I can give you whenever your tank is ready again.

Smitty

Premium member
I appreciate the advice bro...yeah, no carbon dosing for me, only 2 part dosing alk and cal. I just placed a new batch of high capacity of gfo, so hopefully that helps. And I do 5 gal/week water changes, but I'll probably do them bi-weekly. And thanks for the offer too.

maidia

Team CR
I didn't test the po4, but knowing ones tank, you pretty much know when something is off. I did test my alk and mag and cal, and ask those numbers are my normal readings. And for the last week, the ole lady has been feeding my tank for me. I usually don't feed nothing but spectrum pellets, but lately, the tank has been getting a nice serving of mysis and brine shrimp, on various parts of the day. I initially noticed my corals weren't as open and colorful...then I noticed an increased growth of algae in my sump/fuge. That's how I noticed the levels were creeping up.

Nit, Amonia, Alk level?

madjoe

Premium member
Thanks bro..I appreciate it.
No problem sps r weird theystn for all types of reasons mine stn one time from temp swings when heater was bad . Im not sure whats worse trying figure why they stn or that they r stning any who ive had good luck and have colonies now so i can share the wealth with u