Keeping glass/threadfin cardinals

930reef

Ok, so I'm curious to see opinions. Have a stable system that's been established for a little over a year. Ready to add a group of fish that shoal in my 55. I was told that, while super difficult, threadfin/glass cardinals are awesome. I wasn't familiar, so I did some research, and they are awesome. And now I want some. That said, I also don't just want to kill fish, and these guys are notoriously bad shippers. Assuming that I can source them locally, is this something I even want to mess with? Or, are these part of the list of "things better left in the ocean," since they seem to have a high mortality rate in shipping and quarantining? And if that is the answer, I'm fine with that.

If they make it through ship and QT, are they tough to keep alive in a stable DT? Any other thoughts too are appreciated. Extra thanks for anyone who has first hand experience at keeping them (good or bad). Thanks!

*Note: tank's current inhabitants are a small tomini and a female yellow watchman, plus a mixed reef and some shrimp and invert CUC.

dvanlier05

You could always go with chromis. Prob easier to find, cheaper, and hardy. I have 5 in my 120 and they are always within a few inches of each other

930reef

You could always go with chromis. Prob easier to find, cheaper, and hardy. I have 5 in my 120 and they are always within a few inches of each other
So my LFS has some great blue chromis and those were my original plan. Everything I read and am told, though, says that chromis will kill one another until there's just one left. Not your experience?

dvanlier05

So my LFS has some great blue chromis and those were my original plan. Everything I read and am told, though, says that chromis will kill one another until there's just one left. Not your experience?
They have been in the tank for a year and all still alive. I've heard that too but so far so good. I don't know if it has something to do with feeding or having enough to disperse aggression. I feed mysis and flake twice a day. They were all about the same size when I got them except for one. Figured he would be the first to go but they are all getting bigger and fat bellies.

930reef

They have been in the tank for a year and all still alive. I've heard that too but so far so good. I don't know if it has something to do with feeding or having enough to disperse aggression. I feed mysis and flake twice a day. They were all about the same size when I got them except for one. Figured he would be the first to go but they are all getting bigger and fat bellies.
Excellent to know. Glad yours are doing well!