led vs t5 vs hqi

madjoe

Premium member
Ive used all three imo t5 gave best color but wont go back to changeing bulbs will stick with my leds besides cant afford a good t5 fixture

Siebo

Premium member
T5 and LED in this case is by far the best. But the LED (b&w) is close. I am sure other bulb combos would yield many other better results though. Great post Jason!

The reefer

Well I've had diy led and a ecotech radion leds, and they are great I got some good growth with SPS. But I recently switched over to a ATI 6 bulb dimmable fixture and the coverage and color of sps is way better. I Got this fixture around a month ago so I still don't have long term experience. But if my SPS keep getting better I will b very happy I made the switch. Yea bulb changes suck but if I can get faster growth and better color on my acro's then I'm fine with it. I'll just save $10 a month and get the bulbs every 10-12 months

maazreef

I've had them all and led is by far my favorite. T5 give you better coloring but i have found that led's are better for the environment with less bulb changes and less power usage depending on how you use them.

Been going back and forth with the LEDs and the T5s. T5s, better growth better color, but get expensive. LEDs, great lighting, decent color, growth seems to depend on how the coral takes the lights. I finally looked at it this way, If I am willing to spend a huge chunk of money on essentially flowers that grow in saltwater, then the bulbs are not the bad.

madjoe

Premium member
Ive used all three imo t5 gave best color but wont go back to changeing bulbs will stick with my leds besides cant afford a good t5 fixture
Well im eating my words and went back to t5 im waiting for ups as we speak lol

labas39

I went to an ATI T5 dimmable fixture from AI Vegas in my frag tank. Lovin' it!

My display is still MH and Kessil LEDs.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member

My display is still MH and Kessil LEDs.
I was considering doing T5's on my frag tank and keeping LED's on my display (or the other way around). Do you have any trouble moving coral to/from systems with the difference in lights?

labas39

I was considering doing T5's on my frag tank and keeping LED's on my display (or the other way around). Do you have any trouble moving coral to/from systems with the difference in lights?
Both are plumbed together and I don't have issues.

cet98

it's too bad the vid doesn't show a full T5 color setup....just blues....
I would bet the T5 would match the color rendition shown with the LED/T5 and HQI/T5 combos shown....

Well im eating my words and went back to t5 im waiting for ups as we speak lol
man....what a difference a year makes...lol

ATI Dimmable T5 here too ;)

madjoe

Premium member
it's too bad the vid doesn't show a full T5 color setup....just blues....
I would bet the T5 would match the color rendition shown with the LED/T5 and HQI/T5 combos shown....

man....what a difference a year makes...lol

ATI Dimmable T5 here too ;)
And a nice promotion lol