Live rock question

i am puchasing live rock at $2.50 a lb. problem is the guy says its been sitting in a large tub with two water pumps and kalkwasser in it for quite a while (two maybe three months) is the rock still good? is it still cured? im starting a new 90 gallon with it. its a little over 100 lbs

koreandrama

There is never a time table to determine whether the live rock is cured or not...But I guess you can take precautionary steps. A simple way to check if the rocks are cured is to just sample the water. Everything should read zero. Ask about where the rocks were before such as if the tank it was in previously in good running condition or if everything died in it and cause major problems, but after that period of time, I would assume it should be good to go. But make sure you see if there is any unwanted hitchhikers or algae on the rocks.

thanx. i dont think i can pass up a deal like that. some of the rock is covered in coraline. i just thought after all that time without light it would be dead rock by now

koreandrama

there are chances that some coralline algae since coralline algae grows better in lower lighting. but at least if there was no light the chances of it having algae are significantly decreased unless he left them in direct sunlight or something.