MACNA 2011 Trip Report

poidog

Wow. That's all I can say is Wow. MACNA 2011 was amazing. It wasn't that crowded this year and good corals were to be had all the way until the end of the show. It was great to see and talk to all the different vendors, really get to know their product, and but a face with a name for those you've talked to in product support. I didn't take a bunch of pictures at the show because we were too busy having fun, but I've included what I did take.

Brett from Tanked! was there all weekend and he was actually a really nice, and cool guy. He stayed at the Marriott with us and was always kept bumping into each other. He said that season 2 is signed up and next season they have forced the producers to show more of the "behind the scene" that were cut from the first. The biggest question that kept coming up was "how can you use hose water!" He said the show doesn't show you the huge RO/DI and salt mixing truck that they have!

I saw the next 3 ORA releases. I could have chosen then when I won the ORA raffle, but passed. One was some sort of LPS (I forgot what it was), Second was a pink gorgonian, Third was a neon green acro. It was described as having the exact same growth patter as the Red Planet, but had a lime green base and neon green tips.

OMG lets talk about swag. Just in the swag alone you made it out on top. Most venders gave you the t-shirt of the knick-naky stuff, but if you actually stopped to talk to them for a while they gave you practically anything that wasn't bolted down. Here's what I made away with just in swag:

- 2x Marineland Reef-Capible 18" LED fixture, 2011 MACNA edition
- Marineland Maxi-Jet 1200 pro
- Marineland Maxi-Jet 600 pro
- 2x Marineland blue LED waterproof strips (free swag at the dinner)
- Tropic Marin Salt
- 3x bags of frag plugs
- AccliMate acclimater
- Chemi-pure
- 2x Kent purple up
- 20 different t-shirts
- 12+ towels
- box of blow pop (I know random)
- acrylic beer mug
- 3x Instant ocean flake food
- 5x Instant ocean gel food
- 4x Instant ocean additives
- 6x ecotech coral glue
- 2x matted marine photographs
- assorted fish foods
- assorted nick-naks
- reusable bags

Now onto the raffles.... Besides the big, main raffle, booths were doing their own. I had 100 raffle tickets and this is what I won
- Tierra del Fuego mini colony from Oculus Aquatics (valued at $1500)
- AI Nano LED (valued at $350)
- 2x ORA frags, one from ORA one from Marinegeek . com. I picked ORA Joe the Coral and the ORA Stoli (valued at $60 each)

Here is what I bought. The prices were great compared to the vendors on-line sites. Also, they were slashing prices on Sunday:
- ORA Hawkins
- 12 heads of Malibu beach acan from Cherry Corals
- Palmers Blue Milli
- Snowcone Prostrata

I am already planning on how we can make 2012 MACNA in Dallas!

Show floor

Banquet Dinner (which was good)

Speaker. Was so boring! (can you tell?)

LED goodies!

Cherry Corals

Brett from Tanked! doing the raffle

Ipad raffle (we were so close - in the top 15 finalists!)

Jason Fox won the iPad (there should be a rule against that!)

Acclimating Sunday night

Swag

goat585

Administrator
It was nice meeting you. I was there all three days and it was a terrific event. Great speakers, great giveaways and great people.

poidog

Here are live stock pics. Some pieces stressed more than others due to the show, transport...etc. Sorry for the dark pics.

Bought:
Snowcone Prostrata

Palmer's Blue Milli

ORA Hawkins

Cherry Corals Malibu Beach

Won
ORA Joe the Coral

Tierra del Fuego

ORA Stoli

The reefer

Great pick up Eric. They should b a great add in ur tank.if it's Kool with u, I liked stop by to check them out when I go to mcf this weekend.

poidog

If you don't mind mind. How much did Cherry Corals let go of that beauty for?
It looks insane just under my t-5 (more blue light) when my MH turn off. His show prices are much better than on his site. The Malibu Beach is on his site for $150 for 3 heads. The one I bought has 12+ heads. It was the most expensive thing I bought all weekend. High end acan frags with 3-10 heads were $100 each. Premium/named acans started at $200 and went up depending on the piece. He did deal on the last day and Todd was a really nice guy. I enjoyed talking with him.
http://www.cherrycorals.com/product.php?productid=6062&cat=0&page=1

Great pick up Eric. They should b a great add in ur tank.if it's Kool with u, I liked stop by to check them out when I go to mcf this weekend.
Sure stop on by. Just give a ring or text before hand. I've got everything mounted to the rockwork now.

The reefer

Sure stop on by. Just give a ring or text before hand. I've got everything mounted to the rockwork now.[/QUOTE]

Nice I'm also interested in seeing that ai nano lit up. I'll send a text when I'm heading out .

poidog

Yea that's why I was wondering. I've been wanting to do an order with him. I just can't decide :hmmmm:
your trip to macna would have been free considering the savings he had at the show vs full price on the website. Try calling him and see if he'll deal. Very nice stuff. The acans I got look exactly like the website under blue LEDs. I think with more blue/actinic with my T5s I'll get the colors to pop more in my tank.

mr_z

wow the trip payed for itself in the stuff you got and won lol. so it was well worth it :)

Catran

I love that Palmer's Blue Milli. Great stuff there. I only went one day but got some nice stuff.