Micro bubbling scrubbing method

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Ive had a short discussion with Ryan when he came by to pick up a coral about micro bubbling scrubbing whatever you would like to call it. I am debating on trying this method but would like to know if any one else on the board is using this method. Ive watched some videos and had a discussion with Julian and they swear by it. I see some videos where the tank is absolutely filled with bubbles and then Ryan posted a video of his tank and you can barely see the bubbles.

Any one have experience with this that would like to add some of the input on it.

Coral Man

Premium member
The trick is a wooden stone at return pump, these micro nano bubbles float around collecting any loose particles then bring them to sump to get caught in sock/skimmer/fuge/filter etc. My tank gets cloudy like you said, I do this atleast 2-4x a month. I up my flow. I believe I’ve actually seen better growth specifically in my LPS.

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Here is video with Mike Palletta talking about it. skip to 8:50 --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YzrzhaCl1o&feature=youtu.be

This is also an interview with Cruz the guy who started this whole bubbling thing https://recifalnews.fr/2017/12/cruz-arias-interview-creator-of-bubble-scrubbing/

- - - Updated - - -

The trick is a wooden stone at return pump, these micro nano bubbles float around collecting any loose particles then bring them to sump to get caught in sock/skimmer/fuge/filter etc. My tank gets cloudy like you said, I do this atleast 2-4x a month. I up my flow. I believe I’ve actually seen better growth specifically in my LPS.
These guys run it every single night once the lights get turned off. Have you noticed any negative effects??

GugsJr

TeamCR
Looks interesting. Makes sense turning tank into a large protein skimmer.

I'd give it a shot, but if you have to clean the sump moor often is it worth it?

Coral Man

Premium member
When I first started, maybe 3rd night as I use to do it nightly(I’ll be setting it up on the apex soon)
All my lps started releasing mucus or shitting more often, freaked me out but But it slowed down. If you don’t have it automated it becomes a lot. One thing I don’t like is air gets caught in crevices. Never negative effects, but I’ve read threads about it becoming a issue in sps dominant tanks with air getting trapped on or around sps.

Coral Man

Premium member
When I did this daily I had a dsb fuge and macros,no socks or any filter pads etc.I’m sure that played its role as well. Maybe depends on how each system runs.

When I started a new tank I kinda based it around Cruz’s natural filtration set up

sk8elenex92

Premium member
From what I've been told the first time you start this you run it for 3 days straight with a filter sock on. After that you remove the filter sock for good and run the bubbles at night.

GugsJr

TeamCR
I run Triton Method so not sure how that would affect it. Since I run no filter socks. My flow is pretty strong so I don't think any extra bubbles would stick around

madjoe

Premium member
I was talking to ryan on fb about it too might try it . Looks like my tank is finally running on all cylinders though . Looks like the media chambers I replaced my socks with finally settling in with the bio balls . Glass finally stays clean for a week at a time . Seeing more growth and corals looking 100 percent better. So i may keep the micro bubbling on the back burner and let the tank ride for a bit see if it stays stabile

Rcunning8

Premium member
I readjusted the level at which I’m using microbubbles after posting that video I’ll post what it should look like later it’s one of those hard things to capture unless u are there in person

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coral Man

Premium member
Wooden air stone is the key, as they produce smaller bubbles.

- - - Updated - - -

Like the type they use for air driven nano skimmers

Rcunning8

Premium member
Ok guys here is what u should do and I’m telling u right now everyone should be doing this.

Get rid of your filter socks u don’t need those anymore, ahhhh what a dream it is! Only use filter socks once a month for a few hours when u are blowing off rocks, disturbing the sand bed or doing a deep clean!

Buy a toms aqualifter, airline tubing, a check valve for airline tubing and a WOODEN air stone. Put the intake of the toms aqualifter airline outside preferably through a co2 scrubber if u have one allowing for the best air with the least co2 to be injected into the water.

Hook the outflow of the toms Aqua lifter ti airline tubing, cut tube, place check valve, then more airline tube then wooden airstone (check valve so there is no back siphon into the toms aqualifter when microbubbles are turned off.

Place the airstone in the baffle prior to the return sump. This allows for microbubbles to pass through and macro-bubbles to float to the top and pop. U don’t want macro bubbles in your tank, they are bad and if they repeatedly get blasted at corals they can cause rtn. Microbubbles can be identified as such because they don’t really float to the top they kind of just get blown around in the water column like dust and sand. These microbubbles can get trapped under ledges and under plating corals like montis and some big colonies of acropora don’t worry about this for some reason it has no effect.

Now that your system is in place (should cost 20 bucks and fifteen minutes of your time) u now need to start the deep clean of your tank. This means u are running microbubbles for 24 a day hours for the next 72 hours straight ie 3 days. This allows for the microbubbles to penetrate deep within your sand bed, deep into your rock, the bubbles coalesce and float to the top into overflow then into sump and skimmer.

After the first three days are over u can set the microbubbles on a timer to run 7 hours a night when the lights are off so they don’t disturb your viewing pleasure during the day.

I run my microbubbles opposite my skimmer but this is for another reason for which we can discuss later if u would like.

If you have a apex u will notice your orp and ph increase nicely as those readings go along for the ride with increased oxygenation of the water column.

Finally I know u are all wondering. YES THIS TECHNIQUE IS SAFE FOR ALL CORALS AND INVERTS. That includes but is not limited to sps, lps, clams, sponges, anemones and non photosynthetic corals.

Do it or miss out on the benefits of having crystal spanking clear water and a beautiful set up like mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sk8elenex92

Premium member
I'm up and running let's see what happens here. It's been a good 45 min of run time and the tank is filled with tiny bubbles. I can noticeably tell that the tank is filled with very tiny bubble. Hoping this is the right type of bubble. Hah.
I took a quick video and you can actually see them in the video pretty well.

https://youtu.be/zjRto1jm9Ao