Micro bubbling scrubbing method

Coral Man

Premium member
Hate to push it so much but....I believe in Cruz article it specifically says to use the wooden air stone because you can tune the bubbles just right. I’ve used a few regular ones and can see a huge difference in the bubble size in the dt. Recommend atleast trying it, the wooden ones do waste and clog fairly quick and run about 2$ ea, but the difference is visible.

Rcunning8

Premium member
Make sure return lines not pointed directly at any corals I’m sure people already have it setup like this since no coral likes constant direct flow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rcunning8

Premium member
I'm up and running let's see what happens here. It's been a good 45 min of run time and the tank is filled with tiny bubbles. I can noticeably tell that the tank is filled with very tiny bubble. Hoping this is the right type of bubble. Hah.
I took a quick video and you can actually see them in the video pretty well.

https://youtu.be/zjRto1jm9Ao
I would intensify this bubbling, as long as the bubbles are coming from a WOODEN air stone they are the right size.

Having trouble keeping the wooden air stone underwater, ziptie it to the sump like mine or ziptie it to a rock.

Ways to increase bubbling:
If u have a valve on the intake airline like I do then open up the valve.

Increase flow of return pump to make the bubbles get whisked away faster

Last resort-Put stone closer to the return pump

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Hate to push it so much but....I believe in Cruz article it specifically says to use the wooden air stone because you can tune the bubbles just right. I’ve used a few regular ones and can see a huge difference in the bubble size in the dt. Recommend atleast trying it, the wooden ones do waste and clog fairly quick and run about 2$ ea, but the difference is visible.
Yeah I read his article and he for sure states wooden air stone for the micro bubbles. I went to petco and petsmart and they didn't have it. I seen this one labeled micro so I just grabbed it.
I'm going to order the wooden ones for sure.

Coral Man

Premium member
Yup had mine zip tied to a nano-mag, worked perfect. When I was doing it daily I think I was putting in a new wooden stone every month. We’ll have to see if we could buy a bulk order if everyone willing to buy 5-10 or so?

I think I was buying Lee’s brand 2 for I think 5-6$ shipped. eBay.

Coral Man

Premium member
I have prime as well but rather try somewhere to see if we can get a bulk deal price, lets say 100 @possibly $0.50 ea or .75

Rcunning8

Premium member
Yeah I read his article and he for sure states wooden air stone for the micro bubbles. I went to petco and petsmart and they didn't have it. I seen this one labeled micro so I just grabbed it.
I'm going to order the wooden ones for sure.
The only lfs that I know of that sells them is old town aquarium

Don’t use any other stone besides the wooden airstone u don’t want macrobubbles in your tank

Rcunning8

Premium member
Ok guys so I just checked with Cruz arias himself the man who created this whole process.

WOODEN AIR STONES NEED TO BE REPLACED EVERY THREE MONTHS

that’s 8 bucks a year.

To me it doesn’t seem worth it to bulk order these things because they are already cheap af and driving to peoples houses to pick them up when we all order them to one place seems like a waste of money and time which after all is the most valuable thing we have

GugsJr

TeamCR
well my Amazon order came in and the bubbles are there. I wedged it under the baffle before the pump and it's working pretty well. We will see if I this helps me clean the glass less. I've been doing it about every other day.

So far all the fish and corals are acting normal.

bryman

Guys, I'm not saying this doesn't work, but be careful trying to make your tanks too clean. A large, well lit fuge will also raise ph when run at night and will naturally balance itself with die off releasing some nutrients when needed. A little good quality carbon in a bag will keep the water Crystal too. Just my 2 cents.

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Well so far Ive gone through the 3 day period of bubbling 24/7, took out my filter sock, and now I've been running it after lights out. The aqualifter pump could not keep up at first so I went out and got a tetra pump and a wooden air stone. You can deft. see the difference in bubbles vs. the other "micro" stone.

NOW I don't think I see any difference in anything as of yet. Its only been a week though. Ph still falling at night and when I check early morning it sits around 7.9 and climbs to about 8.2 through the day. Glass is still getting dirty every 2-3 days. which is the usual for me. I will continue running the bubbles and give it some more time.

Rcunning8

Premium member
Well so far Ive gone through the 3 day period of bubbling 24/7, took out my filter sock, and now I've been running it after lights out. The aqualifter pump could not keep up at first so I went out and got a tetra pump and a wooden air stone. You can deft. see the difference in bubbles vs. the other "micro" stone.

NOW I don't think I see any difference in anything as of yet. Its only been a week though. Ph still falling at night and when I check early morning it sits around 7.9 and climbs to about 8.2 through the day. Glass is still getting dirty every 2-3 days. which is the usual for me. I will continue running the bubbles and give it some more time.
How about water clarity?

Rcunning8

Premium member
Water clarity is actually great without the filter socks. I like having no socks that's for sure.
I really don’t know if this is gonna help you in cleaning your glass less frequently. The studies that cruz has done have indeed shown increased George rates in sps, increased par, increased water clarity etc.

Orp and ph go along for the ride in this process. Orp is super noticeable change in numerical value. But the ph seems to be a much more gradual and slight difference in my experience

sk8elenex92

Premium member
One thing that I've noticed is the amount of algae that I get on top of the glass right where the water line is. When I scrape it, it comes off in small pieces of sheets. Really weird never seen that before.