My 29 Biocube

Milhouse

Premium member
So i started with a ten gallon last year and things flourished. So i decided to upgrade to a 29 biocube.

Ive upgraded the return pump to a MJ1200. Added an intank media basket with filter floss, purigen and chemipure elite.

Live stock includes 30 different types of zoas/palys. Small ponape birds nest, dark blue birds nest, dersa clam that has doubled in size over the last year. Misc spotted, ricordia, yuma and elephant ear mushrooms. Mated pair of ocellaris clowns, 6 line wrasse and a purple dottyback.

Have a look. Any input is welcome!

View attachment 446

Monty06

Wow Jason looks great man! I thought my tank was getting crowded!

The zoas you gave me are flourishing already. I just re-started a tank build thread after my account was deleted and put some pics up, check it out

Milhouse

Premium member
Zoanthid/paly list:

Spectrums zoa
Nuclear green paly
Vivid rainbow zoa
Darth mauls zoa
Lazer lemons zoa
Eagle eye zoa
Radioactive dragon eye zoa
Lunar eclipse zoa
Pink zipper zoa
Lemon ring zoa
Watermellon tourmaline zoa
LA laker zoa
True watermelon zoa
Reverse space monster paly
Gobstopper paly
Fire and ice zoa
Tubs blue zoa
African blue steel zoa
Eye of the storm zoa
Green bay packers zoa
Blue agaves
Keds reds
Candy Apple reds
Hawaiian people eaters
Winter melon
Watermelons
Miami vice
Salted agave people eater
Tangerines
Jolly green giants
Pink elephants
Diablo orgasims (CR grow out contest)
Fruit loops
Triple secs
Campfire paly
Pink mantis
Red ring PPE.

There are a few i forgot the names of.

Last edited:

zdes

Has the mj1200 had any impact on the temp? Did u get cobalt or marineland?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Milhouse

Premium member
Started adding some Caribsea Rubble zone today. Im using it to fill in some areas and to give myself some more rock to put zoos on. Looks odd though. All nice and white amongst all my other rock which is covered on coraline.

Milhouse

Premium member
Just ordered my LED kit for my cube! I will post pics once its all built and running. It will probably take a while for it to arrive seeing as its coming from China.

Id like to thank Mai for the info on where to get them. CHEAP!

Milhouse

Premium member
Started my led build today. Everything finally came in from China!
View attachment 1335
Bought aluminum flat stock from Home Depot and brazed it together.
View attachment 1336
Leds all laid out alternating blue and white
This will mount in the location where the stock pc's were in my 29 biocube. I will be re using the splash guard and cooling fans.

Beardown

Millhouse, i'm milling over buying a rapid LED kit. I just can't compromise on a color ratio... I have 14 royal blue, 2 blue, 5 cool white, 1 warm white, 2 uv as a start, but can't decide if I need cyan or reds.

Milhouse

Premium member
Millhouse, i'm milling over buying a rapid LED kit. I just can't compromise on a color ratio... I have 14 royal blue, 2 blue, 5 cool white, 1 warm white, 2 uv as a start, but can't decide if I need cyan or reds.
Im not the one to give advise on lights. I went with 12 blue and 12 white. Ive heard red does nothing but help algae grow but i dont know. I may add a strip with some uv for some extra pop.

View attachment 1337

jm23

Here is what I would do if I were buying again: 10 Royal Blue, 6 Blue, 2 Cool White, 2 Warm White, 2 Neutral White, and 2 UV. I haven't tried the UV yet, mine are in the mail as we speak. What I can say is the addition of Warm White and Neutral White over my frag tank has made a big difference in coloration. The corals are coloring up much better in the frag tank then in my display tank. Once I get my UV's plugged in next week, I will post an update if I notice any difference with their addition. Red, Green, and Cyan are all helpful to their limited spectrums. I find any color light helps algae grow if there is enough nutrients in ones tank.

Started my led build today. Everything finally came in from China!
View attachment 1335
Bought aluminum flat stock from Home Depot and brazed it together.
View attachment 1336
Leds all laid out alternating blue and white
This will mount in the location where the stock pc's were in my 29 biocube. I will be re using the splash guard and cooling fans.
Very Cool build and YES avoid red at all cost unless its on your neighbors porch light lol

I want some for the 300 set-up are you interested ?
Bob

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Milhouse

Premium member
View attachment 1351
View attachment 1352
Just installed the new DIY leds. Like i said in an earlier post, they are in the stock power compact locations and i was able to re use 3 of the led bars the tank came with! I also re used the fans! :dance3:

I dont think 72w was enough though. I may buy another kit and add a few more leds.

If you are looking to upgrade your cube to leds, i might be interested in building a kit for you.

Milhouse

Premium member
So i ended up neglecting the tank for a few weeks the beginning of summer and wound up with a bad hair algae problem. Either way the wife and i decided to tear it completely down and start from scratch.

Tank has been completely stripped and i ran 1 1/2 gallons of vinegar in a full tank of water through it for 2 days. Looks like it did when i bought it!
Here is a picture of it all clean. I will get other pictures up as i progress......stay tuned!