My 40 Gallon Baby!

Suolainen

Ok. So after much time spent on research and even more money put out I have finally set up my first Saltwater tank! It is a 41.6 gallon (brand = Pico Aquariums) All-In-One with 40 pounds of Live Sand (CaribSea Arag-Alive Reef Sand) and 40 pounds of Live Rock.

Lighting: Radion xr30w Gen3 Pro with a radio mount

Filtration: Live Sand and Rock for now. I have a media basket in the back that I will eventually have layered with filter floss, Chemi Pure Blue and Purigen.

Flow: I currently have Rio 1400 (420 GPH) pump in the back which came with the tank and I am waiting for my VorTech MP10w QD to arrive in the next 2 days.

Skimmer: I will eventually be adding one. The tank came with a CAD Lights Aquarium model that fits in one of the back chambers, but I may look for a different one (any suggestions???)

Heater: Cobalt Neo-Therm 150 watt

Refugium: The middle chamber in the back is decent sized and I have a little Live Rock Rubble in the bottom with a ball of Chaeto currently. I currently have an IM Magnafuge LED light on an opposite schedule from my radion.

Water: I have my own RO/DI unit and am using RedSea Coral Pro Salt.

Fish: I just set the tank up 2 days ago so am waiting for it to cycle. Once complete I am planning on adding a pair of clownfish (likely snowflake but am not entirely sure of the variety yet). Past that I am still debating, but I would like to have 6-10 fish eventually. (Anyone have suggestions for colorful, fun and/or interesting fish for a reef tank this size?)

Coral: I am going to start with some Zoa's and/or mushrooms and then as I get more comfortable with coral will be expanding very slowly to as complex as I can handle.

I would like to eventually (maybe in 8-10 months) get an anemone of some sort depending on the type of clowns I get.

Clean Up Crew: I am currently talking with the folks at reefcleaners.org to develop a good crew.

I plan on using the BRS 2 part dosing for calcium, Alk and Mag and will manually dose initially and eventually go automated.

ATO: I am currently doing manual top-offs and will eventually be getting an ATO. Likely a Tunze osmolator.

Controller: I have a reeflink to control my Radion and VorTech. Eventually I might consider an Apex system, but that will be some time in the future.

So that Is about it for my set-up thus far and my plans for the near future. As I am a complete novice I am open to any comments, suggestions or critiques!!!!!

Pics coming soon!

Suolainen

Looking good. Did you use bottled bacteria or doing the long cycle?
I haven't added any bacteria and have gone back and forth on if I want to or not. Since all of my rock came from an established tank I was thinking I would try to get by without adding bacteria, but I may regret that if the cycle carries on forever! I guess I am just going on the assumption that with 40 lbs of live rock and 40 lbs of live sand I should theoretically have all the bacteria needed in sufficient quantities. Does anyone feel differently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrpark22000

Premium member
Depending how the live rock and sand was transported and what level of nutrients were in them, you may still have a decent cycle.

Nice looking start and well planned. Looking forward to seeing how it comes along for you.

Smitty

Premium member
Looking good so far...you may have a quick cycle, if any. As long as the rock stayed wet during transport, you should be fine.

Suolainen

Looking good so far...you may have a quick cycle, if any. As long as the rock stayed wet during transport, you should be fine.
Yeah, the rock was wet during transport and it was only 30 minutes from the time it left the original tank and was placed in mine. Today is day 3 and ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are all zero. Going to keep checking daily for a couple of weeks and see how things progress!

Suolainen

Time for an update! Today is day five and my water parameters are as follows:

Temperature: 78
Salinity: 1.026
pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
Phosphate: 0 ppm
Calcium: 410 ppm
Alkalinity: 9.8 dKH (3.5 mEq/l) (175 ppm)
Magnesium: 1340 ppm

My new MP10 arrived and has been set-up so I have good flow now, the water is crystal clear! I just ordered a Tunze Osmolator ATO which should be here by the end of the week! My live rock came with about 3 small hermit crabs, 1 small emerald Mithrax crab, one medium Pink Mithras crab, a bunch (around 20) of tiny snails (not sure which time but I think they are Dwarf Ceriths), and all of them seem to be doing well. Also I noticed that my Live Rock also came with my first coral which seems to be doing well! Not sure what it is, but I think it is a Button Polyp (Protopalythoa sp.). See Pic:
View attachment 11523

I have a couple of questions at this point, and would appreciate any input that anyone may have!

1) Should I start my protein skimmer now or wait?
2) Should I add my Chemi Pure Blue and Perigen now or wait?
3) I was thinking about adding a pair of clownfish (type still to be determined) this weekend. Is that too soon?

tinman

Time for an update! Today is day five and my water parameters are as follows:

Temperature: 78
Salinity: 1.026
pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
Phosphate: 0 ppm
Calcium: 410 ppm
Alkalinity: 9.8 dKH (3.5 mEq/l) (175 ppm)
Magnesium: 1340 ppm

I just ordered a Tunze Osmolator ATO which should be here by the end of the week!

Suggestion : instead of the ATO get a controller like reefkeeper or apex and use it for ATO ..

temp control another important part a controller justifies .. heaters go bad all the time and well controllers prevent major accidents ..

look in the sale section both reef keeper and apex are being sold dirt cheap now :) ( hint hint : cancel the ato order if you can ;) )

Suolainen

Suggestion : instead of the ATO get a controller like reefkeeper or apex and use it for ATO ..

temp control another important part a controller justifies .. heaters go bad all the time and well controllers prevent major accidents ..

look in the sale section both reef keeper and apex are being sold dirt cheap now :) ( hint hint : cancel the ato order if you can ;) )
Unfortunately, I can't cancel the ATO, but I got it for 1/2 off so it was a great deal! I definitely appreciate your input, and am going to get a controller eventually. I think my budget would be more forgiving of the purchase in a few months!

anarchy

Unfortunately, I can't cancel the ATO, but I got it for 1/2 off so it was a great deal! I definitely appreciate your input, and am going to get a controller eventually. I think my budget would be more forgiving of the purchase in a few months!

Maazreef is selling an apex for 280 right now. If you can afford it now I'd say do it. You won't find a deal like that again

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Nice set up! I'd say wait on the clowns until you start getting some low readings on nitrate and both ammonia and nitrite are still 0. If you are looking for large hairy mushrooms (purple and green variety) let me know. I may be able to let some go for a decent price!

Suolainen

So I thought it was time for another update. The tank is now 11 days old, and I have been enjoying every minute of it! Here is what has changed:
-The Paly that was a hitchhiker is doing very well and it has been fun to feed occasionally!
-Water parameters have been rock stable with no ammonia, nitrite or nitrates. Phosphate is zero on the Sachem test but likely a little higher than 0 ppm LOL)
-Added A Tunze Comline DOC Skimmer 9004
-Added Tunze Osmolator ATO and picked up a 29 gallon tank from Petco (gotta love $1/gallon) for an ATO container with the thought that it could be made into a sump in the future.
-Started using the Chemi Pure Blue and Purigen
-Diatom bloom basically burned out and I started getting a very little bit of green hair algae and I did a 25% water change.
-I added 2 cleaner shrimp and a pair of Black Ice Clownfish that I am in love with. All of them are eating out of my hands already after just a couple of days! (Pics below).

View attachment 11626

View attachment 11625

Here is what I have planned in the near future:
-Adding a reactor to run a mix of GFO and Carbon. I am looking at the Midsize Innovative Marine MiniMax All-in-one Media Reactor
-Adding a CUC custom package from reef cleaners.org (20 Dwarf Ceriths, 7 Nassarius, 9 Florida Ceriths, 6 Assorted Hermits, 6 Nerites, 2 Chitons and 2 Limpets which will add to the emerald crab and ruby emerald crab I currently have.
-Starting to add some Mushrooms, Zoa's and Palys in the next couple of weeks.
-In a month or so I am going to add another fish or two...thinking of a couple of blue or green Chromis or a Borbon Anthia. (Any thoughts?)

As Always I am open to comments, critiques and suggestions!

jrpark22000

Premium member
Nice start and additions. I'd focus on adding the CUC and waiting out the new tank blues, diatoms, algae, stable parmas, etc before adding more fish. You may want to reconsider chiltons, they are poor shippers. I also prefer banded trochus snails. They clean very well, can right themselves, and breed redily in our tanks.

Suolainen

Nice start and additions. I'd focus on adding the CUC and waiting out the new tank blues, diatoms, algae, stable parmas, etc before adding more fish. You may want to reconsider chiltons, they are poor shippers. I also prefer banded trochus snails. They clean very well, can right themselves, and breed redily in our tanks.
Thanks for the suggestion. I called a few places and none of them have Banded Trochus Snails. Any idea of where to get them locally?

jrpark22000

Premium member
Thanks for the suggestion. I called a few places and none of them have Banded Trochus Snails. Any idea of where to get them locally?
I'm a ways from the city so I don't know your local stores well. It's a drive, but Mario [MENTION=2790]Aquatica[/MENTION] (Tinley park) tries to put them on his order every week. If he doesn't have them in, he usually does the next week but they can go fast. If it's not too far, try giving him a ring and asking when he'll have them in next.

Suolainen

Update---Here is what's happened in the last 9 days:

-Added an IM MiniMax midsize reactor running GFO and Carbon mixed.
-Got a steal on a bunch of coral including one large colony and several small colonies/frags of green finger leather, 2 large colonies of Blue Candy-cane/Trumpets, several Zoas & Palys some orange mushrooms, one orange ricordia and a watermelon monti. All are doing well having been in the tank about a week.
-A green chromis hitchhiker was found when I got the coral home and is now doing well in my tank.
-Added a nice clean up crew including several Banded Trochus Snails (thanks [MENTION=1277]jrpark22000[/MENTION] for the suggestion).
-Water parameters have remained rock solid, but I did have to start dosing 2-part since adding the corals (manually dosing 30 ml each of the BRS 2-part daily).

Future Plans:
-I bought myself a birthday present from Alldelightcorals.com and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of some awesome corals on Tuesday!
-Looking for some Cyclop-eeze to start in the feeding rotation.
-Eventually adding a controller (likely an apex but not sure just yet).
-Adding some more fish in about a month
-Starting to try my hand at fragging with some of the larger colonies that I have now.
-Enjoying my new AWESOME hobby everyday!!!!
-Working on getting better ways to photograph with my iPhone 6 because I spent too much money on this reef to be able to afford a camera anytime soon! (Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!!!!)

As always, any thoughts, comments, criticisms or anything else are always welcome!