My 46 gallon Bowfront

CoralPharmD

I thought after having my tank set up for a little while now that I should start a tank thread. I started off with a 20L tank and decided to buy this 46 Bowfront from Jason (FrostyJay1) a while back.

My current stock is:
Snowflake Clown (Matt Millers "B**** Clown")
Foxface
Rusty Angle
Frogspawn
Birdsnest
and a few zoas/palys (not sure the names) still learning the whole reefing thing.

I am running a sump with live rock and chaeto/macro on one side and a aquarium systems skimmer on the other. I am running two 24 inch 36 watt LED light strips. One is all white and the other is all blue. I would like to add a brs dual reactor when i have some extra money. As of now I am in school and money is tight.

I would definitely like to continue adding some different corals so any suggestions on what would look good and how to keep are greatly appreciated.

I would like to thank everyone here for their input in advance.

View attachment 10024

View attachment 10025

View attachment 10026

View attachment 10027

View attachment 10028

View attachment 10029

DD

"Rambo"
Nice tank! I have to exact same tank but it's currently set up as freshwater high tech planted community. I though of going reef with it but I remembered that several years ago I dosed it with copper to treat for ich.

Nonetheless I love seeing 46 gallon bow front reefs set up. Lots of room for potential aquascapes.

Nice job, I'll be tagging along to see the progress.

DanSreef

Premium member
Great looking tank! I am a huge fan of bow fronts. I have a 72 and a 125 corner bow. Tagging along to see how your tank progresses.

steveo9043

I think we need to create a club bow front! Love my 72... just wish it was 10x's larger! I like your scape.. simple yet looks great.

T575

tank looks great. keep it up. what brand are the LED's. aquatic life? Color looks great and pictures well.

frostyjay1

Tank is looking great Tom. i am glad to see it doing so well. looking forward to see how it looks full of coral. keep up the great work

CoralPharmD

I'm sorry, for some reason I was under the impression these were 3 watt LEDs they are however 1 watt LEDs at 9 lights per foot. They are called Foster Lighting Systems distributed by the Foster Anemone Inc. located in Lockport. The LFS by me sells them. I think they look good and so far everything in the tank seems like like them. They also came with a two year warranty.

steveo9043

I'm sorry, for some reason I was under the impression these were 3 watt LEDs they are however 1 watt LEDs at 9 lights per foot. They are called Foster Lighting Systems distributed by the Foster Anemone Inc. located in Lockport. The LFS by me sells them. I think they look good and so far everything in the tank seems like like them. They also came with a two year warranty.
tropiquatics?

m.miller1547

Nice tank.... I love the way your lighting is hidden and you don't have a huge canopy. Hows the clown doing? She still a nipper?

CoralPharmD

Nice tank.... I love the way your lighting is hidden and you don't have a huge canopy. Hows the clown doing? She still a nipper?
She is doing great. She has not gone after my hand yet. But when I lean over she comes to the surface and sticks her head outta the water. Still have that misbar? Let me know if you ever want to sell it. I would like to pair them back up.

CoralPharmD

Quick question...I just got back from picking up some green button palys from Kratos. Can these be placed on the sand bed? I just placed them on a rock but I would like them better elsewhere.

DD

"Rambo"
Quick question...I just got back from picking up some green button palys from Kratos. Can these be placed on the sand bed? I just placed them on a rock but I would like them better elsewhere.
What are they growing on right now? If it's a plug or rock you should be fine. If not, just glue them to a rock. I have my zoas, and palys on my sand bed. No problems with them there.

You also might want to mount them on something a bit larger so that they can spread. Most of mine are mounted on plugs and I'm going to glue the whole plug to something a bit larger so they can grow out.

CoralPharmD

What are they growing on right now? If it's a plug or rock you should be fine. If not, just glue them to a rock. I have my zoas, and palys on my sand bed. No problems with them there.

You also might want to mount them on something a bit larger so that they can spread. Most of mine are mounted on plugs and I'm going to glue the whole plug to something a bit larger so they can grow out.
Thanks. I was able to set the on the sand bed right next to a couple of rocks. I like that much better.

CoralPharmD

So I wake up this morning and realize right away that my return pump and skimmer are not working. I check the everything over and the fuse is blown. Before resetting the fuse I checked everything to make sure it is all hooked up in working condition and thats when I saw this...

View attachment 10050

I have no idea how this happened. I'm pretty sure there is nothing bad in these that would contaminate the water but not completely positive. I took it out and placed another one in but its the same kind. I will definitely be getting a new one today so I need suggestions. I want to get one that is completely submersible.

BTW the temp of the water was 67 degrees so this must have happened shortly after I went to bed at 11 last night.

Tangency

Oh no! I hope everything is okay.
I will second Joe's comment about Eheim heaters and make sure to correct the temperature slowly. Good luck!