my awesome idea for a 5 gallon-need everyones input and help(beware, long read)

fishyfish22

Premium member
Hello everybody. Most of you know me because I like to hand around the forum and sometimes post but I spend a lot of my time observing and reading up on new things there are to learn.(I'm shy like that) I currently have a 180 gallon reef set up(I'm planning another thread on it later on) and I am currently in high school(in the summer between sophomore and junior) and I got the idea that I would be cool to have a smaller tank. My only problem is that It is rather difficult for me to have one because the flooring in most of my house is wood and when water gets under wooden flooring it messes everything up and raises the edges so my parents are completely against me getting a nano for my room or for the upstairs. I see their point though and they're right. Plus I don't' have a source of money since nanos are expensive and I'm currently unemployed(these darn senior graduates took all of the available jobs also i can't drive XD) so I'm trying to go diy on almost everything. I'm growing out some frags that I will eventually hope to sell to fund this but at the moment I plan to let them grow. At least until I get everything I need planned out and I am completely sure of what I need to do.
Here's my idea:I would like to have a 5 gallon nano reef...in my school locker. that's right. you read correctly. a small aquarium in a locker. i did the specs and i have about a square foot of locker space. perfect for a small 5 gallon plus whatever i could use. i rarely use my locker so the space won't be wasted except in the winter to hang up jacket or coat. as far as the rules go i read and reread the student handbook and there is nothing specified or that says that what i'm doing violates any of the rules. besides, i run the aquariums at my school so even if something was against the rules(which there isn't) id probably just get warned and asked to take the set up down.
please don't try to talk me down for thinking about the idea, instead try to provide ways to fix the problem there might be. i know it's possible if enough people help.

so i was thinking it would be better to write out a list of things that the average reef tank needs, and then work on building each one individually one by one. think of them as challenges.
things a good reef tank needs:
-good lighting
-good flow
-saltwater XD
-good filtration

i took an electronics class me freshman year and i know how to solder from it and about diodes, resistors, etc but i don't know everything so please bear with me if i need an explanation on something

i like the way this tank is setup as far as filtration goes. only problem is the water pump...if possible i would like to do something very similar.
http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/132714-my-55g-pico-with-built-in-fuge/

challenge 1:lighting
so as far as lighting goes, i was thinking diy led, since leds require the least amount of energy to run. i want to try some sps (simple ones, some birdsnest and montis), lps, and some softies(definitely zoas and mushrooms) in this tank. so far i planned out on another forum that if i were to use three 3w royal blue colored led's and 3 warm whites i would need 132.48 wattage hours of power, which would be 12 D-Cell NiMH batteries because they would be on for 8 hours a day and i can recharge them, when i come into school at 7:30 in the morning and off at 3:30 pm. eight hours. during the night they'll recharge and ill come back the next day with a freshish set. during the weekends the lights will be off(i read this was ok for the corals)the main problem that is driving me insane is a power source :hmpf: as far as i've planned i would need 12 D-cell NiMH batteries(expensive but long term not as expensive as alkaline) anyone know if the lighting i have would be accurate for some smaller sps? (i know if they work for sps they'll definitely be enough for lps and softies) also how would i go about setting it up as far as the wiring and circuitry? anybody know of another rechargeable power source that is less expensive than NiMH batteries?(i found a store where i can buy a pack of 2 for $6, so it would have to less than $72 and legal in the united states please)

challenge 2:as far as flow goes i have nothing thought up. i was thinking of using a battery operated marina air pump but i have no idea how i would do it. i was thinking something magnetic but still, i have no idea how that would work. any ideas? concepts? like i said, if i can figure out how to make a good battery powered pump i could set up something similar to the tank in the link and that would basically fix current and filtration.

challenge 3: as far as the water goes, i will be using the same salt i use in my 180 gallon and i will do tri weekly(mon, wed, fri) water changes. i will also be dosing if necessary and adding supplement if necessary, so this isn't really a challenge but if there is anything i missed please fill me in. i found this really cool water changing system on another forum(forgot where) in which i have a gatorade/water bottle with a hole drilled in the cap. in the hole there goes a syringe, at the end of the syringe there will be airline tubing that will go into the tank. at the the other end of the syringe there will be a small hole in which water will come out from the suction force that is made when the syringe is pulled. this is the first thing that i will be making since it is the easiest and i already have all the pieces. pics to come soon.

challenge 4:the filtration. as far as this goes, i think i'll be fine with biological filtration, but if not i can add a sponge or something like that to the filter part of the tank. if no filtration is necessary(external) i might end up not adding the second part and just adding the battery diy pump into the tank directly(after i make sure it won't get ruined or electrocute the water of course) i plan on keeping mostly corals and some shrimps along with a small clown goby and an atlantic blue tang. haha jk XD no atlantic blue tang that'd be crazy and straight up cruel.(although if anybody has any idea for a second fish i could do please lmk)

please people, we can make this work if enough people add what they can.

any questions feel free to ask. i do not have anything yet(except syringe water changer) as far as leds or batteries. i'd like to have everything planned out first before i order the parts i need from ebay or go to the store to buy

Reeflogic

First of all, I would like to thank you for admitting your parents are right, wish my 16 year old would say the same. Second of all, ARE YOU NUTS! j/k! As far fetched as it seems, I could see the thought you have put into this and that passion makes things happen. Is it a good idea? Probably not. Could it work, realistically? probably not. So many things to consider, the first being, you won't have all that much time to really enjoy it...what, in between classes and before / after school? That would suck...

The power source issue would be the biggest problem, even if you could find everything to run the set up on batteries, what if a battery failed at 6:00 pm on a Friday and you didn't get back until Monday, or were you going to be taking it home on weekends / holidays? So many negative variables really to even consider.

I'm definitely not going to flame you for your desire to have a tank in your locker, on paper it's a cool idea, but realistically, I just can't see it operating well enough to keep up proper husbandry for the fish / corals you would keep in it. Think about the livestock before you think about your happiness and desires!

Also, back to the wise parents and the wood floor scenario. There are rubber floor mats and other great ideas to help reduce the chances of getting water on your floor. My 6 year old has a 5 gallon dual betta tank in her room, for starters... She now wants a mantis shrimp tank in there lol...not.... Point is, she lets me know if something needs adjusting or cleaning, but she feeds them twice or three times a day without asking her to and she has wood flooring! Showing your parents that you are mature enough and responsible enough to take care of a small aquarium might still be your best bet. Not only for the livestock to be happier and longer lived, but for you to actually enjoy it more!

fishyfish22

Premium member
what if a battery failed at 6:00 pm on a Friday and you didn't get back until Monday, or were you going to be taking it home on weekends / holidays?
haha they will be off during the weekends and in the afternoons (As in the batteries will be out completely except for the water pump which i hope will run with minimum current in order to run the longest)i will be checking up on them during passing periods along with saturdays(the school is open for saturday schools sadly) and during breaks longer than 3 days i will be taking all of the livestock home or transferring them into a smaller 10 gallon that there is in the fish room which is really out of sight and hidden because it is under a stand and no one can see them. there there will be electricity from a wall outlet so they will be able to run with a water pump and everything, but thats for after i get all of the locker stuff figured out. also i got a preview of my schedule for next year and since i am taking ap physics and that's a period and a half i only have a half hour off each day. even when i had a full period off i never bothered to go to lunch, i'd just end up going up to the fish room(the room with all the aquariums) and hang out there. with the nano i would at least have something to do and i would maintain it then. water changes and all(speaking of which my device is complete. picture will be up within the next 3 posts)

I'm definitely not going to flame you for your desire to have a tank in your locker
haha trust me, there is no way you could flame it any more XD every other thought goes to how i could make this work, even to the slightest detail of how i would transport water, which i already have figured out also. all i need are the mechanics of it.

haha sorry if i sound too persistent, but once i have my mind so wrapped on something like this i end up figuring a way unless i realize that it is absolutely impossible...

Reeflogic

haha sorry if i sound too persistent, but once i have my mind so wrapped on something like this i end up figuring a way to make it happen.
Well, in that case, I wish you the best of luck! I really wasn't trying to flame, i promise :) Just trying to be realistic, but I would love nothing more than you to prove me wrong. Keep us posted.

Herbie

Banned
it sounds really cool, but maybe try a betta first. I think you'd have to get into some pretty dangerous batteries to run anything with enough flow and or light to keep anything SW alive. if you can't get 120 in there you may have issues with school rules when you have a lipo batter go nuclear in your locker. I really believe that if battery powered portable tanks were in any way feasable they would be selling them to swap vendors hand over fist. I love the idea though and always remember that innovation can only come from proving people wrong. Otherwise they would be doing it already.

fishyfish22

Premium member
you may have issues with school rules when you have a lipo batter go nuclear in your locker.
haha that would be bad...

ok. i guess nothing good can come of this for me or for whatever i'd put in the 5 gallon XD. i didnt really know what i was getting into . i'd be better off setting up the 10 gallon and putting it in a random room or just keeping it there and calling it a tank away from home, if that makes sense? it's basically a 10 gallon setup powered like any other aquarium. the school used to have a botany class(i think... they have a lot of those racks used for growing plants and along with the racks came a bunch of timers which i'm sure they wouldn't mind me using for it). haha this was really my last try to get this through. i wondered why there was never any battery powered stuff for sale on the internet or at least diys. well thanks to everyone who took the time to read the post and have a good day :) (also reeflogic sorry if i came off as rude in my post. i do like proving people wrong, but i am in way over my head for this one.)

Look into Duracel or Honda backup batteries. If you could find/afford one or two, you might be able to run a 50W heater intermittently along with a small power head and a few LEDs. Maybe. What school are you at, BTW? I'm at Hersey in AH. :)

http://www.wisesales.com/honda-uts-battery-backup-1500va-apc.html?utm_source=GoogleBaseFeed&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=GoogleBase&gclid=CNKguIvAkrgCFWRp7AodjBIATA#.UdOqUOtQ3Kk
haha noooo , i was going to try to keep the entire thing under $100 XD and i'm at palatine down in palatine haha.

no locker nano for me :)

Herbie

Banned
get a battery powered airstone/filter with a carbon pad and a cheap LED UV flashlight and get one little glowfish and a marimo ball maybe a ghost shrimp if you want to get crazy. Make a little basket with the light in the handle for the tank that holds all of the equipment too so you can carry it in and out easily. That would be cool in your locker and completely doable. Then post pics and impress the heck out of us and get a contract with marineland to mass produce. Bam.

Jason13

I say stick with it. I thought this was a pretty slick idea. Also, look at lowering your light load, ditch the sps if you have to. for flow, there are a ton of low watt pumps\powerheads. Look at a 325 VA backup and disable the alarm in it. Heck, get 2 and swap them every day. Diy a little tiny skimmer....I think it's doable, just not easily for under $100.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Aquaman

don't use nimh batteries... see if you can get lipo (lithium polomer)....they wont go explode if you don't get stupid with them ... problem I smost idiots overcharge them...(watch youtube videos usually they start with "im gonna take this 1.5 v lipo and put in 10v and ppl freak when they blow... I use them all the time but still use a fire proof bag ...lipo get a bad rap

Herbie

Banned
don't use nimh batteries... see if you can get lipo (lithium polomer)....they wont go explode if you don't get stupid with them ... problem I smost idiots overcharge them...(watch youtube videos usually they start with "im gonna take this 1.5 v lipo and put in 10v and ppl freak when they blow... I use them all the time but still use a fire proof bag ...lipo get a bad rap
wha? I'm reading that as: "Don't use NIMH because LiPo is safer, they won't explode unless you over charge them, but said explosion is enough to freak people out. I use them frequently and am concerned enough about said explosions to use an extra piece of equipment that is not required with NiMh batteries." Sorry bro, I did not get a ticket on that train of thought LOL. LiPo packs nuke without requiring the presence of an idiot unless you would like to call me an idiot directly. :)

fishyfish22

Premium member
Yeahhh, i had given LiPO a thought but as soon as i saw the risk of explosion i said nope. No way. Eventually something would go wrong with it and it would either take half of my house or half of my school with is. Definately not a good idea.

Reeflogic

Not only that but you'd have the bomb squad beating down your door! And no worries man, I still want to see what you end up creating, I'm certain it will be awesome ;)

madjoe

Premium member
Imo u have other issues to worry about . Temp and oxegen for starters not saying a tabkbin a locker isnt possible but sps might be u might want to try lawn tractor batteries with a inverter so u can plug and play alot of stuff get two recharge one every night . As long as no metal detectors in school they might think u makeing bomb lol good luck this is crazy even for me