My Bio Plastics experience

cet98

My BioPlastics experience

Well…after a few of months I think it’s time I shared my experience with using BPs in my 40B system…
Last year I had foolishly started adding Fuel to me system as directed and to make a long story short, I had a massive outbreak of HA :(
After trying large WCs, dosing vinegar and manually removing the HA over and over again, I had finally decided (against all the negative horror stories I had read) to give BPs a shot.

After reading all the stories of people “stripping” the nutrients from their systems even when starting out with using ½ the recommended dosage, I made up my mind to try using no more than 1/4 of the recommended dosage and wait an extended period of time before adding any more.
I picked up a PIF 400ml of TLF NPX Bio Plastics from an extremely kind local reefer (and I apologize for not remembering his name as I lost all my PMs after the Crash of 2014) to whom I still owe a PIF too… ;)

I started with ¼ cup of BPs which is approx 25% of the recommended amount for a 50 gallon system. (100ml per 25gal) I did NOT use any additional bottled bacteria or the like.

At first I started using an Avast Marine MR-5 reactor but quickly realized that the ¼ cup amount of BPs I was using seemed extremely undersized for this sized reactor. I quickly replaced my reactor with an in-sump IM MiniMax reactor and couldn’t be happier with that choice.

The reactor is placed in the first of my three sump chambers and I set my skimmer to skim wet in the second chamber and waited….
Within the first week I immediately noticed one of my blastomussa wellsi colonies had started to recede as well as my largest Rhodactis mushroom starting to shrink in size and bleach. I quickly removed all of my blastos and placed them in my office nano but could not do anything for my Rhodactis, shy of cutting it off, as it was securely attached to a large piece of LR along the sandbed…

This is what my tank looked like at the time I started using BPs:

Last edited:

cet98

After a few weeks I started to notice a thinning of the HA strands and with a month or so, manual removal was as easy as simply siphoning it off the rocks with 3/8” tubing during WCs….

It has now been roughly 4 months since I started using BPs and this is what my tank looks like now:

To date, I have never increased the overall amount of BPs in my reactor. As they are consumed by the heterotrophic bacteria, I only replenish what was lost. I have never felt the need to increase the dosage and continue to be HA free.

Happy am I…..

cet98

at this point I am barely using a 1/4 cup at any given time....as it is consumed, I only add a teaspoon at a time.
I tend to feed two to three times a day when I'm home and with the small amount I have used in the last four months I am likely to just leave it be....
anything less than a 1/4 cup doesn't make for much of a tumble in the reactor...

Siebo

Premium member
This makes me happy to hear. I am going bp as well this weekend and plan to start at a 1/4 dose and let it run for a few months.

The reefer

I will b starting bp soon also. I've had luck with them in the last so I'm gonna b using my cpr nano tumbler for my bp.

Ur tank looks great Craig. I still need to find a time to go over and check it out

ultimatemj

Tank looks great!

And thanks for sharing!

I'm also interested in any measurements before/after and any other changes (feeding/lighting/cleaning/GFO/water changes/skimmer change/other bio load removal), because nothing in Fuel looks like a HA instigator and BioPellets are mostly a nitrate tool, with some P04 impact over time. At least that's what I read on AdvancedAquarist and Reefkeeping...

Fuel Ingredients: chlorella, ascorbic acid, niacin, calcium pantothenate, thiamine, riboflavin, inositol, choline chloride, vitamin B12.

Interesting to see ascorbic acid in fuel...

Tapa

gg1111

Looks great !! Keep it up, cuz during summer i skip a water changes here snd there and my tank goes down hill and all winter I try to get it back on track! Lol!

adam87

I'm running a 1000ml of TLF NPX Bio Plastics for about 6 months now and still have stuff growing in my tank. :(

SkullV

Looking good mushroom man. Just got my biopellet reactor started last night. Anything that makes it so I can do less water changes is worth it in my book!

cet98

Papo, did you test your levels before and after? Tank is looking great!!
nah...with all the HA and a fuge full of macros, I would always get false positives and so I stopped testing...
me and madman are from the same school.....no testing....if it looks good, leave it alone...if it looks bad, do something :p

This makes me happy to hear. I am going bp as well this weekend and plan to start at a 1/4 dose and let it run for a few months.
GL...imo as long as you start off small you should be able to quickly deal with any negative affects... :)

I will b starting bp soon also. I've had luck with them in the last so I'm gonna b using my cpr nano tumbler for my bp.

Ur tank looks great Craig. I still need to find a time to go over and check it out
thanks brah....now get over here and get your damn JTC frag mijo!!!!!

cet98

Tank looks great!

And thanks for sharing!

I'm also interested in any measurements before/after and any other changes (feeding/lighting/cleaning/GFO/water changes/skimmer change/other bio load removal), because nothing in Fuel looks like a HA instigator and BioPellets are mostly a nitrate tool, with some P04 impact over time. At least that's what I read on AdvancedAquarist and Reefkeeping...

Fuel Ingredients: chlorella, ascorbic acid, niacin, calcium pantothenate, thiamine, riboflavin, inositol, choline chloride, vitamin B12.

Interesting to see ascorbic acid in fuel...

Tapa
thanks MJ...as I stated above, I do not test due to false positives and I'm not rich enough to be able to own any high end lab equipment :(
as for any changes....none really. I feed the same. I do a 10-20% WC only a few times a year so only once since I started use BPs. Same skimmer and maintenance is the same with the exception of skimming wetter than before as I stated above.

As for Fuel, I'm not sure it's the ingredients per say....I have heard many different positive and negative reviews regarding the use of it and like all products, its affect on individual systems can be varied.
Perhaps its not the product itself but rather a reaction of the ecosystem with regards to it's introduction?...
I'm not saying that's definitely the case...just speculating...

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
In my humble opinion, there are only two issues with bp's and they are both related to sps. I've ran them off/on for years and an ultra-low nutrient system can cause pale colors in acros/sps. This can easily be fixed with aminos. The other issue around acros is that you must be diligent to make sure your alk doesn't go over 8 dkh or you might get burnt tips, or worse, crash your tank.

cet98

that's a good point Eric and another reason perhaps to run BPs at a lower than suggested dosage....my SPS colonies look great imo and show no signs of slowing down with regards to growth. the colors have remained the same as well. perhaps a happy medium with BPs is finding the right amount to maintain low enough nutrients to retard the growth of HA but enough to maintain a healthy ecosystem....

again, just my take... :p

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I've been on the pellets for about ten months and everything is going great. I use about a cup and a half for about 260 gallons if water. I do think that it really helps to lower nitrate and allows me to feed heavy with my large fish. It also allows me to only do water changes about every month and a half.

I do have a nearly constant bloom of red diatoms though. I'm pretty sure it is biopellet related. It doesn't really bother me too much though since I can gravel vac it and it is gone for a few days. Any ideas on this? I've tried to do some research on this and don't come up with much.

madjoe

Premium member
Like i told u craig once tank looks good no hair algae id pull half the bp . Its kinda like going on diet if u cut u calories to lose weight and u do lose weight eventually when u get to your target weight if u dont up u calories u just gonna keep loseing weight and die lol. With bp imo works great but if its sucking out nutrients and hair algae goes away its gonna keep sucking out nutrients and possibly even faster cause no algae to compete with by cutting in half what u ran to rid the issue may help keep u tank from ulns and crashing. Just my 2 cents

cet98

I hear ya brah....truth is, I feed heavy and started dosing Azox once a week again. But I will heed the warnings and keep an eye on everything...